What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTN-650 Issue

rleffler

Well Known Member
I've been getting a message on my GTN-650 that states:

DATA LOST

Pilot stored data was lost. Recheck settings.

I stopped in the Garmin booth at OSH and nobody could tell me what was causing this message. (I had already checked and saved all my settings)

I called and talked with a support engineer. He believes its a battery issue, which requires sending the unit into Garmin for service. It also requires a $975 service fee.

I'm having heartache having to spend an AMU on a battery replacement. Has anyone had this issue?

I know that opening the case will void any warranty, which technically I don't have any longer. But I image that replacing a battery can't be a big deal. Has anyone attempted a battery replacement on a GTN-650?

Hello Bob,

Every Garmin dealer has access to both the maintenance manual for the GTN 650 (190-01004-01) and the service spare parts list with price/part number to order the replacement battery.

It is a simple process to replace this battery in a few minutes with no soldering required.

Thanks,
Steve

$975 to do a 5 minute job and replace a $1 battery. Is it any wonder why the TSO side of Garmin is so disliked?

I too would like to hear if anyone has replaced one of these batteries. The 10 year battery life means we may still have a few more years before the GTN-650 earlie adopters get the battery warning.

As the warrentee has expired, I?d go ahead and pull the covers off and look at the battery. It should just be in a clip battery holder.

I did this on a GX-60 when I got the low battery alert. Simple and the local Battery Mart had this 3vdc battery. I did take the precaution to put two AA batteries in series across the battery clips to make sure power was not interrupted (later found out this was not needed).

The other option is to send it to a Garmin Dealer (e.g. Stein) as I suspect they will do better than the $975 flat rate.

Carl

Hello Bob,

Every Garmin dealer has access to both the maintenance manual for the GTN 650 (190-01004-01) and the service spare parts list with price/part number to order the replacement battery.

It is a simple process to replace this battery in a few minutes with no soldering required.

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks for the information. Please be advised, that it was a "George" on the Aviation support line that stated it had to be returned to Garmin to replace the battery.

Bob,

See page 6 of 12 in this document.

https://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/GTN625_STCGTN6XX_7XXandGMA35ICA.pdf

Is your showing that the battery is low? If so, it states you can have an authorized repair station do the swap. Garmin sets the price for dealers but it may be negotiable.

No, the battery isn't showing as low. The Garmin Aviation Support person stated that message was caused by a low battery. He also stated that as the battery dies, it will take longer to lock onto the satellites. That is another symptom that I've been experiencing. It's taking about twice as long for the satellites to sync.

The problem I have with the local Garmin dealers, that if you aren't bringing in your Citation or Learjet in, they really don't want to give you the time of day. Heaven forbid if you mention the word experimental to them.

thanks for the link.

bob

There is a similar thread on BeechTalk. They mention that it's a Varta ER 1/2 AA battery. I haven't been able to find an US distributer with this battery in stock. I haven't been able to confirm if that is the correct replacement part since I don't have access to the maintenance manual.

bob

Hello Bob,

The Garmin part number for the replacement battery is 360-00026-00 and the list price is $10.

Thanks,
Steve

There is a similar thread on BeechTalk. They mention that it's a Varta ER 1/2 AA battery. I haven't been able to find an US distributer with this battery in stock. I haven't been able to confirm if that is the correct replacement part since I don't have access to the maintenance manual.

bob

This is a Saft equivalent with the same Lithium Thionyl Chloride (Li-SOCl2) technology and 1200 mAhr rating

http://www.batteriesinaflash.com/2x-saft-ls14250-battery-1-2aa-3-6v-primary-lithium-cell-li-socl2

The web page lists it as a replacement for the Varta 7126 which is the one you mention above -

http://products.varta-microbattery.com/applications/MB_DATA/DOCUMENTS/DATA_SHEETS/DS7126.pdf

Last edited:
Hello Bob,

The Garmin part number for the replacement battery is 360-00026-00 and the list price is $10.

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks!

I have one on order through the dealer I purchased my unit from. This is the first 650 battery that they had to replace.

This is a Saft equivalent with the same Lithium Thionyl Chloride (Li-SOCl2) technology and 1200 mAhr rating

http://www.batteriesinaflash.com/2x-saft-ls14250-battery-1-2aa-3-6v-primary-lithium-cell-li-socl2

The web page lists it as a replacement for the Varta 7126 which is the one you mention above -

http://products.varta-microbattery.com/applications/MB_DATA/DOCUMENTS/DATA_SHEETS/DS7126.pdf

Thanks! The Saft is a about 30% less expensive than but I bought battery through Garmin. I ordered the Garmin part just to be safe and to eliminate any future finger pointing.

Last edited:
I feel your pain

My 650 is at Garmin now because the SD card holder broke and I couldn?t put my card back in to update the databases.
My avionics contact shop sent it in. $975.00..cha ching...
He said it?s not uncommon to have the card holder fail..
Ouch...
At least it will be pretty...sure hope they don?t wipe out all my settings in the process..
Garmin, it?s the company you love...to hate.

Thanks to the G3xpert guys

That is great service when they watch the forums and provide help, where they can. (part no. and prices -- what a team!)

Ron

I acquired the appropriate battery from Garmin. Most dealers wanted $125 to install it it. It took all of about two minutes to install. I won?t go down that rabbit hole at the moment.

It was not the cause of the message about data loss. The message is still present after the battery replacement.

Nobody at the both at OSH knew what that message was referring to and apparently neither did the person at Garmin support knew either.

I guess I need to play CSR roulette again to see if I can talk to somebody that knows what they?re doing.

I acquired the appropriate battery from Garmin. Most dealers wanted $125 to install it it. It took all of about two minutes to install. I won?t go down that rabbit hole at the moment.

It was not the cause of the message about data loss. The message is still present after the battery replacement.

Nobody at the both at OSH knew what that message was referring to and apparently neither did the person at Garmin support knew either.

I guess I need to play CSR roulette again to see if I can talk to somebody that knows what they?re doing.

Hello Bob,

The maintenance manual doesn't list an error message like you describe. If you don't mind, would you take a screen shot of the message and email it to us so we can chase down what triggers this message?

There is a GTN Diagnostics page that allows you to view the error log and save it to the SD card. Would you also email that error log to us?

I don't think this is the issue, but you might also verify that the configuration module in the P1001 connector backshell is correctly plugged in.

We can do a hand-off to Trek's team if we need to.

Thanks,
Steve

Hello Bob,

The maintenance manual doesn't list an error message like you describe. If you don't mind, would you take a screen shot of the message and email it to us so we can chase down what triggers this message?

There is a GTN Diagnostics page that allows you to view the error log and save it to the SD card. Would you also email that error log to us?

I don't think this is the issue, but you might also verify that the configuration module in the P1001 connector backshell is correctly plugged in.

We can do a hand-off to Trek's team if we need to.

Thanks,
Steve

Wilco, that was on my to do list for today anyways. I didn't have a quick method to post the screen shot to VAF yesterday.

I'm assuming the config module is plugged in correctly. I would have thought I would be experiencing other issues if it wasn't. The unit appears to be working fine expect for the message that pops up at power up. As soon as it's ack'd, it never returns.

Just to follow up. Steve and I have exchanged several emails this morning. I've made more progress this morning with Steve than I've done over the last few weeks going through Garmin's formal support lines.

I've been given a course of action, which I may not execute for a couple weeks. Once that's done, I'll update the thread.

bob

Back