What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GPS and stratus users

jim plaster

Well Known Member
RV 4 guys.....I've got a customers 4 in the shop and he's wanting to mount a small GPS antenna and his stratus also. The current GPS antenna is mounted on the roll bar and has to go somewhere else.....the stratus is new. The turtle deck area behind the rear seat looks like the best for the GPS....but I feel the stratus will clutter that area up if it's also mounted there. Where are you guys mounting yours...any pics appreciated....?Thanks guys!

Want a cleaner look?

My GPS antenna is mounted just underneath the top rear edge of the cowl in the engine compartment. No external antenna and the GPS signals do know the fiberglass is there. Paint is metallic but GPS signal strength is always strong. I could send a pic to your email if you like. Shoot me your email address in a PM or email so I can attach the pics.

Me too

RV 4 guys.....I've got a customers 4 in the shop and he's wanting to mount a small GPS antenna and his stratus also. The current GPS antenna is mounted on the roll bar and has to go somewhere else.....the stratus is new. The turtle deck area behind the rear seat looks like the best for the GPS....but I feel the stratus will clutter that area up if it's also mounted there. Where are you guys mounting yours...any pics appreciated....?Thanks guys!

That is where I have mine mounted.
While I don't have a stratus unit, I do have a SkyRadarDx and had (sold) Dual (brand) and prior to that an ancient Magellan SkyNav 5000 back there.

A big factor for me was that I had holes already drilled being the rear seat turtle deck.

Current SkyRadar works great. my iPad has a status bar depection and it is always in the green (max).

I have pictures if needed.
Daddyman

GPS and stratus mounts

I maintain a F1 Rocket here that has the GPS antenna under the cowl too....ill probably go that route on his ship. It's an older Lowrance GPS so I'm not sure it will have reception....I'm going to mock it up and try the system before I fabricate the mount under the cowl. That leaves the Stratus mount question to contend with....the turtle deck area is the most obvious,but direct sunlight in my RV6 can overheat the unit fast.....

My Rocket has the GPS mounted on the right side canopy bow, right at the cross brace (as an interim solution). The Stratus cradle is on the opposite side, also at the cross brace.

Stratus and gps mounting on a -4

Hi Jim

Regarding the Stratus, if it is like the Garmin GDL-39 3D and has provision for an external antenna, you could like I did for my GDL-39 mount it in the tail section on a bracket and use an external antenna. Works great..

On my Turtle neck I have 2 GPS and one XM antenna, all working fine.

Good luck

Bruno

Good Spot for it

I have both the Status 2 mount and a GPS there and they both work great.

The only issue with the Stratus is that if you activate the attitude indicator on Foreflight while you're still on the ground, the ADI will assume that you're straight and level when the Stratus is really pointing about ten degrees nose up. So you'll have to calibrate manually (easy to do).

If you wait until you're airborne and basically straight and level to turn on the attitude indicator, it's not an issue.

-Matt
N402BD

2015-08-14%2017.22.10.jpg

IMG_0308.jpg

Last edited:
Back