What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

O-320 Intercylinder Baffles

Doug Rohrer

Well Known Member
Can anybody tell me if the Lycoming intercylinder baffles are the same for the narrow deck O-320 engine and the wide deck version? I can only find a parts catalog for the wide deck engine but am building a narrow deck motor.

Can anybody tell me if the Lycoming intercylinder baffles are the same for the narrow deck O-320 engine and the wide deck version? I can only find a parts catalog for the wide deck engine but am building a narrow deck motor.

They are not the same.

The 360 has a longer stroke and thus requires a longer intercylinder baffle.

320 Narrow Deck engine may use a different intercylinder baffle than the 320 wide deck. Not sure without checking part number but there is a different cylinder flange.

Cylinder baffles

O-320-A models use 72150, others 72153. Wide flange uses 72569.

From page 7-1 of o-320 parts manual 103.pdf

Keith Rhea
RV7 O-320D2A
2019 Dues

Baffled

Keith,

I'm am not sure what you mean by O-320-A models. I thought the A suffix meant wide deck design. My engine is an O-320 D2B L-5101-39 narrow deck model with pretty shabby baffles. I want to buy new ones, but I have to be sure of the part number. Where can I find the parts catalog for ND engines? I can only find the wide deck catalog PC-203-9 for B and D series. Thanks for the help.

Numbers

A on crankcase serial number denotes wide deck. 0 320A (on data plate)denotes a series of engines which in the case of many series could be narrow deck or wide deck.
The first 0 320 had no dash number in the model number.
O 320 A series was first used in volume production in 1955 Piper Tri Pacer and Super Cub. I think also the Apache.
Wide deck engines started around 1964.

Do not be alarmed when the parts manual does not say "narrow deck". The STD (standard) cylinder flange is what we call the narrow deck and the WCF is the Wide Deck (Wide Cylinder Flange).

See figure 7.1 around page 126 in the above Lycoming linked document for part number.

IIRC, the reason why the models that start with the DASH A has a different part number, is because the 150 HP version does not have the cylinder hold down plates.

Last edited:
Numbers

Gary, you recall correctly. I know of an EAB with a 0 320 dash nothing that is still flying with no cylinder plates.

Just to add to this.......I went through this on my narrow deck 320 last year and endedup ordering a set of the wide deck baffles. Just some light modifications with plyers bending this and that had them fitting like a glove in no time.

Back