What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV 4 wing install spar plate frustration!!

blackbeard10

Well Known Member
Frustrated!
It's time to put the wings on the RV4 fuselage. The wings will come back off for paint later. Vans recommended only four bolts per wing to do the alignment and and fuel lines etc. So far so good. My spars for both wings fit very snuggly into the 404 and the rear attach point lined up nicely. Okay, time for bolts and the hardened steel plates that mate the two spars. No problem with the top plates (forward and aft). The bottom forward plate drops in okay. The aft plate bottom plate is the problem. How in the holy heck will this slide down in between the center stringers.:mad:
Torque tube needs to be removed(took photo before I removed it). Have to slide wing out to remove it.
HELP!

Mark Wyss
Cincinnati
RV 4 finish

Last edited:
Here is the photo

Corrected:

20793qg.jpg

Splice Plate Installation

I realize this may be a little late for your specific installation but for those still faced with assembly of the lower splice plates on either the -4 (or -3) airframes, I found it convenient to put the splice plates in place prior to installing and riveting of the seat ribs (and floor panels). They may rattle around a bit but since they won't go in after riveting the seat ribs, they probably won't fall out either.

Spar trouble

I had the same problem with mine. What I did was to cut a angle in the bottom of the stringers, large enough to install and remove the bottom plate. It will still be a pain in the b*tt to install and remove, but it is the best way I've found, and it will not take away any strength from the stringers.:D

Mike,
I know this is 7 years later, but would you please give more detail what you did to be able to remove the bottom rear splice plate?
I am repairing an RV-4 and have to get the bottom rear splice plate out of the plane and replace with the new plates being provided with the new wing spar.

Thanks.

Steve H

Last edited:
Mark,
Like I said to Mike, I know this is 7 years later, but would you give specific information concerning how you got the bottom rear splice plate out of your plane?
I am repairing an RV-4 and have to get the bottom rear splice plate out of the plane and replace with the new plates being provided with the new wing spar.

Thanks.

Steve H

BOTTOM STRINGER

Steve.
Wondering if you did cut the bottom sides of the floor stringers in order to install your new spar plates? I'm ready to install wings and didn't want to pull the torque tube and stick.
If it is possible to cut an angle in the stringers do you have a picture of what you did.

Thanks,
Mike

Back