What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator control horns slightly out of alignment

Roo747

Hey Gang,

working on drilling the elevator control horns (through the centre bearing) and the right side is slightly higher than the left. Both trailing edges seem to be level. Should I try to equal them out? or just drill them and be done with it. both elevators swing freely with no binding.

Thanks in advance

Andrew

Stick with the trailing edge alignment, that's what's important...not the horns.

Yep that is somewhat normal, if I remember, the plans or manual make note of this.

Bird

True Bill...

Yep, I was stressed about that too... called and spoke to Van's support about it - it's normal, not an issue, build on brother Andrew! :D

But do make sure you have enough clearance between the control tube and the bolt/washer/nut combination and can get a wrench on it...that can be an issue.

I had a similar problem on my -7; see my post to the brain trust below:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=97098

It does seem to be a sorta common issue. If the edge distance is OK on the horns, Van's says "build on". This really concerned me for a while; though I really mussed something up.

Watch the clearance for the bolt heads ... in extreme cases, the head or the nut may interfere with the column to the control surface.

yep

ditto to all the replies above....been there and agree. Good luck with the rest of the build, it gets exciting from now on ;)

Plus one more - normal adn build on

As previously mentioned, much more important to ensure "in trail" alignment of the elevators with the HS than it is to match up the horn position. Clamp the elevators to the HS at the counter balance arm and verify in trail condition and then drill the horns.

Slightly Off Topic

Wasn't there a thread some time ago about bolting the elevator horns together in addition to the one used for the control rod?

If someone remembers the detail about this would you please refresh my memory.

Glenn Wilkinson

Back