What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Older Carb

Robin8er

Well Known Member
I have an older marvel schebler carb for my lycoming O-360. The guy I bought it from said it was rebuilt, and I believe him, but it does look used and like its been sitting for at least 10 years. Just wondering what precautions should be made. Is there anything in it that would go bad from sitting? Its a pretty important part so I want to play it safe.

carb

360 and 320 carbs are very similar. I took my 320 carb apart, replaced the throttle shaft, installed a LEGAL metal float, new gaskets and reassembled. You should have the applicable manual and a torque screwdriver that covers the lowest applicable torque. Pretty simple carb.
also check for one piece venturi.

parts

I got parts from Spruce, Marvel Schebler and some of the aftermarket mfg. I shopped best price except for the metal float.
I think I got the manual on ebay.
I will try to remember to check the manual when I get home in about 10 days. I don't think it covers the MA4-5 but it may. I know it covers many of the earlier carbs.

Be sure to check the condition of the pump plunger for the accelerator pump. The plunger itself is made of leather material and will dry out. Check for the proper float height, and proper (updated) float installed as there were issues with past floats.

Take care
Bill

Back