What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Good Pitts instructor

Maxrate

Well Known Member
Patron
So as I keep pounding rivets on the RV, I have an opportunity to do some flying in a Single seat Pitts. With about 400hrs in Cubs, Citabrias, and a Stinson I'm looking to get some dual in a Pitts before even attempting to taxi by my self. I know Finnegan, Davisson and J White are the gurus but the cost and time to travel is outside of the question right now. Does anyone have any intel on a good Pitts instructor around the Houston or Dallas area. Thanks all!

Pitts

Harvey and Rihn near Houston, last I heard their S2B was not airworthy but that was some time ago. The people at Aero Country are not recommended.
Dagmar Kress in Denver area has an S2C and has been flying the Pitts for 30 plus years. Call EAA and ask for the IAC person. They keep a list that should be up to date and should have Dagmar's contact info.

Equinox Instruction

There is a guy flying out of Pogue airport (just west of Tulsa) who has a Pitts 12 and does aerobatic instruction, he also has some time in RV's instructing a new RV-6 driver. His name is Homer at (918) 271-1099. I have no direct experience with him, just have chatted to him a few times.
Your mileage may vary.
Figs

Instruction

Certified aircraft only for instruction unless you do it for free or have approval for transition training.

Certified aircraft only for instruction unless you do it for free or have approval for transition training.

I guess FREE is the operative word here. You can get instruction all day long in an RV, specially if it is yours, without breaking any FAA regs. You just can't rent an RV, like a you would a Cessna, for flight training.

I guess FREE is the operative word here. You can get instruction all day long in an RV, specially if it is yours, without breaking any FAA regs. You just can't rent an RV, like a you would a Cessna, for flight training.

Nobody's doing free instruction in a Pitts 12 that burns 40 GPH at full power, Experimental certification notwithstanding.

I gave, as in no charge, transition training in my RV-9A. The feds say I can't charge for the airplane, and if I'd charged for my time as a CFI, likely the feds would have claimed I was charging for the airplane. But the insurance policy says that I can't charge for anything. So do your homework, folks...

Mark,

Seeing you're in League City, I would highly recommend Bruce Bohannon; Legend Cub for primary training and tail wheel endorsements, RV-8 w/LODA for RV-3,4,8 transition training, Pitts S2B for aerobatic training and transition to S1 models. You simply won't find anyone better or more qualified. Flyin' Tiger Field (81D) Phone: 281-889-8078

Back