What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Belfast Fly-in recap

Dvalcik

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Loring AFB visit and lobster dinner;

Due to weather only many of the planned out of state arrivals for Thursday did not happen. We did fly 6 RVs to the former Loring Air Force Base. The gaggle of 6 arrived at ME16 with permission from the authority. It was an incredible day to fly, blue skies with low winds. Looking down that 12800 ft runway was great. Even though I just used the 1st 500 to land on and then back taxi'd, it still was a sight.I could just image a large B-36 lumbering down the runway.

We were greeted by Carl from the development authority and Ray from the Historical Museum. They provided a 2.5 hour tour. There was also a TV crew there upon arrival.

Loring AFB(2).jpg

Loring AFB(6).jpg

Loring AFB(7).jpg

Loring AFB(8).jpg

They interview Marvin with his good looking RV14

Loring AFB(3).jpg

On our way back stopped for some prearranged discounted fuel and off to Millinocket for Lunch on the way back.

https://youtu.be/fPYt5wFSVeY
4 min video from the fly-in to Loring

Then Back to Belfast for the evening.

Flyin 18_08.jpg

Flyin 18_07.jpg

Flyin 18_05.jpg

Flyin 18_06.jpg

Sitting around waiting to go for Lobsters at Young?s.

Flyin 18_09.jpg

I forgot to take pics at the lobster dinner - Duh

From Sat

A few photos from our fly-in on Sat. Late start with fog this morning, but it ended up a great day. We had 43 planes fly-in and the chapter flew 65 young eagles today. Unfortunately I had confirmations from 15 RV from the many states that weather was not going to cooperate Wed – Sat.

We still had a good fly-in after the fog lifted around 9:
3 awards for planes voted outstanding

flyin sat 18 20.jpg

Billy

flyin sat 18 16.jpg

Steve

flyin sat 18 18.jpg

Marvin

and the longest trip

flyin sat 18 19.jpg

Marvin and Sandy from Tennessee

A few random shots

flyin sat 18 12.jpg

flyin sat 18 11.jpg

flyin sat 18 07.jpg

flyin sat 18 05.jpg

Last edited:
I see Massachussetts was well represented. I was on the fence go-no-no go for hours. Getting soft I guess... :)

Given Marvin?s beautiful airplane (and super talented first officer) I probably will never get ?longest trip? at events ever again.

Looking to next year?s event. The organizers do a fantastic job every time!

Belfast

It really was a fun event! David is a gracious host and seemless event coordinator. The trip required significant deviation through western New York. We went non-stop to Penn Yan, but the weather was VFR in Rome, NY so we continued to Rome. That was 4 hours and three minutes with two hours of fuel remaining. We stopped for fuel and lunch then another 1 hour forty five minutes to Belfast.

Sandy and I decided to stay, we are still in Maine. We have been doing museums, waterfall hikes, lots and lot of eating. Her stated goal was 20 lobsters, but she has been thwarted after only 1 two and a quater pounder! We have a week to go maybe she can up her game? Todays goal is to get back to the east coast of Maine from Moosehead Lake for more lobster. :)

Last edited:
Thanks

I want thank you folks at KBST for being such great hosts on Saturday. My buddy, Jeff, and I flew up from Islip, Long Island in one of our club 172's and enjoyed your airport and seeing a nice group of RV's. Got there before the marine layer cleared so we diverted to KBGR for fuel and food. Thankfully the weather cleared and were able to get in and enjoy some Maine hospitality. Ordering my empenage/tail cone kit for the 14A tomorrow. Had planned to do it today but going flying instead. When I finish N359MK I plan to come visit you folks again.

Thanks for being a great host!

My family also enjoyed the fresh lobster I took home I am sure I will be back.

Oliver

Please add my name to your mailing list for next year, I want to do this!

Will do and I also put in an order for no Hurricanes on the east coast, since they keep about 10 planes from coming last year.

The date is set for Sept 14, 2019

Last edited:
Back