What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New (03-25-2013) Garmin G3X Products and Prices

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Our team has been busy developing new products and features for G3X, while making it even more affordable.

Today we are announcing 7 new products.

• GSA 28 Autopilot Servos with Autotrim
  • GMC 305 Autopilot Control Panel
  • GSU 25 ADAHRS with AOA
  • GAP 26 Pitot/AOA Probe
  • GEA 24 Engine Interface Module
  • GAD 29 ARINC 429 Interface Module
  • GDL 39R Remote Mount ADS-B Traffic/Weather Receiver
You can read more about them on our website.

Garmin Integrated Autopilot Option for G3X
GSA28Small.jpg

The GSA 28 autopilot servo is a brand new design developed specifically for the experimental market. Weighing only 1.4 pounds, it is very compact and light weight, yet powerful. A gear train with engagement clutch and ability to back drive the brushless DC motor provides multiple levels of protection without the need to use a shear pin. The engagement clutch also decouples the motor from the flight controls, which minimizes the friction the pilot will feel when the autopilot is off.

Each servo also provides a built-in interface to drive a customer-supplied trim servo at no additional charge. When the autopilot is off, the servo provides speed scheduling for the manual trim commands. When the autopilot is on, the servo automatically trims the aircraft to constantly keep it in trim. Unlike many autopilots, the GSA 28 servo software updates are integrated with G3X releases and updated automatically as needed over the CAN bus.

GMC 305 Autopilot Control Panel

GMC305Small.jpg

With the optional GMC 305 autopilot control panel, pilots gain a dedicated autopilot user interface that is extremely easy to use, as well as additional autopilot functionality including airspeed hold, independent flight director, and optional yaw damper control.

A control wheel integrated into the GMC 305 makes for easier pitch, vertical speed and airspeed adjustments. Lights above the mode buttons supplement the autopilot mode display on the PFD and make it even easier to identify selected modes. Plus, for added safety, a single press of the panel?s advanced level (LVL) mode button commands the autopilot to engage and help restore the aircraft to straight and level flight.

The dedicated flight director (FD) button allows you to turn on the FD and setup your autopilot lateral and vertical modes before departing. Once airborne, just press the AP button to engage the autopilot to the selected modes.

And because the servos interface directly with one or more ADAHRS over the CAN bus, the GMC 305 control panel allows for standalone operation of the autopilot in the unlikely event of display loss. You can even turn off all the displays in a G3X system and still engage the Garmin integrated autopilot to maintain straight and level flight and even hold present altitude by just pressing the ALT button on the GMC 305.

The GMC 305 is ?radio stack? width (6.25?) and requires 1.85 in. of vertical space. It is secured with four #6-32 cap screws and uses a single 15 pin connector.

A two-axis Garmin autopilot option for G3X is expected to be available in May for $1,500 including the built-in auto-trim capability for each servo (installation kit with servo bracket sold separately). The optional GMC 305 control panel can be added for only $750. The GMC 305 control panel can even be added to those G3X systems that use the presently supported third party integrated autopilots.

New ADAHRS and AOA probe

GSU25Vert.jpg

GAP26.jpg

AOAScreen.jpg

Garmin designed the new GSU 25 ADAHRS as a separate small, light weight module to add AOA support and make it easier for customers to install multiple ADAHRS units in their G3X system. The flexible GSU 25 can be installed in any of 16 different orientations, so it is easy to find a place to install an additional ADAHRS. Since the magnetometer is mounted external to the GSU 25, the unit may be mounted without worrying about the special installation needs of magnetometers.

New or existing G3X systems can easily add a second ADAHRS and AOA support by adding the GSU 25. When the GSU 25 is installed as a second ADAHRS, the GSU 25 may share the magnetometer and outside air temperature probe already connected to the first GSU 73 or GSU 25 ADAHRS (via data on the CAN bus), or support is provided for optional installation of a redundant magnetometer and OAT probe if preferred.

New G3X display software provides automatic miscompare monitoring and annunciation and auto-switching upon failure when multiple ADAHRS are in use. In a multiple ADAHRS G3X system, any ADAHRS can be selected for any display including a MFD in reversion.

AOA information is provided both aurally and visually, and the pop-up AOA indicator is highly configurable to only be visible on the PFD when a user selectable AOA is exceeded. AOA bars and chevrons fade in/out as the indicator segments change providing a smooth presentation.

The GSU 25 will be available for $799 without magnetometer and OAT probe and $1,199 with those probes.
The new GAP 26 pitot/AOA probe is available in three versions: unheated $199, pilot-controllable heated $299, or fully-regulated heated $449.

GEA 24 Engine Interface

GEA24.jpg

The new GEA 24 engine interface is similarly a separate light weight module which provides additional installation flexibility and also adds a separate CAN interface for aircraft wanting to use it with a Rotax 912 iS FADEC engine. The GEA 24 uses low density connectors to make it even easier for customers to install and will be available for $599.

GAD 29 ARINC 429 Interface

GAD29.jpg

When using the new GSU 25 ADAHRS and GEA 24 Engine interface modules (instead of the GSU 73), the new GAD 29 interface adds ARINC 429 interfacing to single or dual GTS/GNS installations and also supports interfacing to a GTS 800 active traffic system. Additionally, the GAD 29 provides two additional RS-232 interfaces for IFR navigators and frees up GDU 37X RS-232 interfaces for other use. The GAD 29 will be available in July for $425.

Remote Mount GDL 39R ADS-B Receiver
The new GDL 39R provides all the great features of the GDL 39 like dual frequency ADS-B traffic and weather reception for G3X and Bluetooth support for certain tablets, phones, and Garmin portables. Additionally, the GDL 39R utilizes an enclosure and connectors that are ideal for remote mounting in experimental aircraft. The GDL 39R uses a standard 9 pin connector for power/data wiring and BNC connectors for remote antennas. The GDL 39R is expected to be available in June for $799.

New Lower G3X System Pricing
These new affordable modules allow for even more attractive system pricing starting at $4,375 (single display G3X complete with GDU 370, GSU 25 ADAHRS, GEA 24 engine interface, magnetometer, and OAT probe). A dual display G3X system now starts at only $6,495 and a three display G3X system starts at only $8,495.

Please contact Garmin or one of our G3X dealers if you have any questions.

Come visit us at Sun-N-Fun on April 9th to see and discuss these new products.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
ADAHRS?

Steve,

What if you have a single G3X with no GSU73?

Can you add the ADAHRS and get an Atitude indicator on it?

Or do you need all the bells and whistles to make it work?

John,

If you are running a stand alone GDU screen, you can turn it into a full blown G3X...

You would need the version of the GSU25 that comes with the GMU22 remote compass and the GTP59 OAT probe.

This won't have engine monitoring unless you add the GEA24 module and probles.

Last edited:
Turn GDU 37X into G3X System

Steve,

What if you have a single G3X with no GSU73?

Can you add the ADAHRS and get an Atitude indicator on it?

Or do you need all the bells and whistles to make it work?

Hello John,

Yes, you can add a GSU 25 with magnetometer and OAT probe to your GDU 37X and have a great single display G3X system without the engine interface.

You could, of course add the GAP26 AOA/pitot probe and even a GSA 28 based autopilot if you wished. Your growth capabilities from a single GDU 37X display are almost unlimited now.

One of our goals with the new products was to not leave anyone behind in the dust.

Thanks,
Steve

Command bars with trutrak?

I was just talking to Stein about this yesterday. Since I just bought the GX pilot and have installed the servos, can I still get the command bar function on the G3X? I have not bought anything but the autopilot and servos so far. Would I have to buy the new head for that?

I like the price drop!

Last edited:
I was just talking to Stein about this yesterday. Since I just bought the GX pilot and have installed the servos, can I still get the command bar function on the G3X? Would I have to buy the new head for that?

Hello Damon,

Yes, anyone with a G3X system and a TruTrak GX Pilot will now see flight director command bars on the PFD when the autopilot is engaged. For those who want to hand-fly using the flight director without the autopilot being engaged, at the present time that will require the use of the GMC 305 mode control panel which adds a separate "FD" button. In the future we may consider an alternate way to allow hand-flying with the flight director without out requiring a mode controller to be installed. Having said that, the GMC 305 is so nice to use that we hope everybody will want one. :)

- Matt

I for one am really glad Garmin added the stand alone interface for the AP. This is a feature of my prior panel that I really liked. I have already disliked the fact that I must swap hands to turn the AP off with my new panel. The addition of the GMC305 solves that issue.

g3x%2520w%2520650%2520and%2520GMC.jpg

The new modular components really add to the installation flexibility of the entire G3X system. The GSU73 can be a tight squeeze in some cases and since they blew it apart into separate components, this will be much easier to install. The new GSU25 with its 16 possible mounting configurations will be a major improvement to installation and with the ability to add multiple AHRS's to the system, it will allow IFR panel builders more redundancy options.

Last edited:
Hello Damon,

Yes, anyone with a G3X system and a TruTrak GX Pilot will now see flight director command bars on the PFD when the autopilot is engaged. For those who want to hand-fly using the flight director without the autopilot being engaged, at the present time that will require the use of the GMC 305 mode control panel which adds a separate "FD" button. In the future we may consider an alternate way to allow hand-flying with the flight director without out requiring a mode controller to be installed. Having said that, the GMC 305 is so nice to use that we hope everybody will want one. :)

- Matt

Hey Matt,
If I get the 305 can I hand fly the FD without switching out my Tru Trak servo's?
Also, and related, will the 305 interface to the existing Tru Trak servo's?

If I get the 305 can I hand fly the FD without switching out my Tru Trak servo's?
Also, and related, will the 305 interface to the existing Tru Trak servo's?

Hello Jon,

You absolutely can install a GMC 305 in a G3X system that includes a GX Pilot autopilot. That's what I have in my own panel right now. The mode control panel connects to one of your GDU displays using a RS-232 port, so someone with an existing G3X/Trutrak panel is looking at four wires to add a GMC 305 to the mix.

mcb

Hello Jon,

You absolutely can install a GMC 305 in a G3X system that includes a GX Pilot autopilot. That's what I have in my own panel right now. The mode control panel connects to one of your GDU displays using a RS-232 port, so someone with an existing G3X/Trutrak panel is looking at four wires to add a GMC 305 to the mix.

mcb

Thanks Matt,
So will I replace the GX pilot head with the 305?

Thanks Matt,

Jon,

The GMC305 is a user interface, not a full blown AP controller. If you keep the TT GX Pilot servos, you must keep the TT GX Pilot controller.

With the GSA28 servos, they interface to one or more ADAHRS's over the CAN bus. If you have the GMC305 also installed, they can fly the plane even if all the GDU screens fail. As long as you have one ADAHRS working you are good to go.

Last edited:
Thanks Matt,

Jon,

No, if you want to keep your Trutrak autopilot you will will not touch any of your Trutrak components. Think of the GMC 305 as a keyboard that plugs into the display and streamlines your interaction with the autopilot system.

If you have our autopilot servos (GSA 28), there is no separate control head per se - the "brains" are in the displays. The exception is that the GMC 305 can also command our servos directly to let you fly level and hold altitude, even if all the displays are powered off. Obviously at least one ADAHRS has to be powered for this to work!

With a GMC 305 + Trutrak GX Pilot setup, the GMC 305 doesn't connect directly to the Trutrak control head, but your GX Pilot already has similar capability when operating in its standalone mode (i.e. not receiving commands from a display). So, you end up with similar capability in a no-display situation but the "buttonology" is slightly different.

- Matt

Hello John,

Yes, you can add a GSU 25 with magnetometer and OAT probe to your GDU 37X and have a great single display G3X system without the engine interface.

You could, of course add the GAP26 AOA/pitot probe and even a GSA 28 based autopilot if you wished. Your growth capabilities from a single GDU 37X display are almost unlimited now.

One of our goals with the new products was to not leave anyone behind in the dust.

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks Steve and Brantel,

Since my main panel centers around a AFS4500 that has engine, AOA and Arinc interfaces I would only be looking to add the GSU25 to my GDU375 that I only use for MAP and ADSb wx.

I figure I can have a nice atitude backup and since its so small it appears to be a very easy install in the compact -8.

Thanks! Now how about a nice little WAAS GPS ADSb feed solution :D

I assume all the same is true with the Trio GX Pro????

Yes, that's correct. Since the GMC 305 connects to the display and not to the third-party autopilot, nothing changes about the interaction with any of the supported third-party autopilots, other than the addition of the mode controller makes it easier to use the system and adds a few new modes.

mcb

Hello Jon,

mcb

Very cool, that's what I will be doing! Thanks, Matt!

Thanks! Now how about a nice little WAAS GPS ADSb feed solution :D

John,

If you have GTX23ES/GTX330ES in your panel, you could use the single screen G3X system to drive it in a VFR mode along with a GDL39/GDL39R and get full TIS-B and FIS-B services. This works now and the ground stations will consider you a full TIS-B client. This does not meet the 2020 requirements but it works for now.

The GTX23ES is an affordable ES solution for G3X users!

OK this is a little confusing. I have already spent time designing my panel for the old set up now I will need to re-learn a few things.
The GSU73 is being replaced by GSU25, GEA24 and GAD29.
I will no longer need a GX Pilot as the autopilot is integrated into the new servos but I could add a GMC305 for added features.
Will my Tru-Trak servo brakets work with the new GSA28 servos?
The GMU44 has been replaced with a GMU22.
I will now use a GDL39R since I am remote mounting anyway.
Angle of attack in integrrated if I desire I only need a GAP26?

I don't see a new manual yet?
Good thing I haven't started a harness yet.

Did I miis anything?

OK this is a little confusing. I have already spent time designing my panel for the old set up now I will need to re-learn a few things.
I will no longer need a GX Pilot as the autopilot is integrated into the new servos but I could add a GMC305 for added features.

Did I miis anything?

I don't think the GSU73 is replaced, just augmented with more options. There is mention that the GSU73 is still supported.

Your choice on the AP. You can still go with a third party unit or go with the Garmin solution. Some slight differences in features.
The new GSA28 servos are very technically advanced units but they do still require info from a working AHRS to function.

The GMC305 is an option for both solutions. You don't have to have it for either. Sure is a nice option however and it enables more AP modes.

It is my understanding that the TT brackets and the Dynon clones will work but might require some minor filing for clearance.

What version of GMU you need depends on how what AHRS solution you plan to use.

The "R" version of the GDL39 just makes it more suited for remote mounting. The portable version of the GDL39 works fine but is not optimized for remote mounting. No reason to swap if you already have a GDL39 remote mounted.

Yes on the AOA, however it does require at least one GSU25 in the system.

Last edited:
I already have a Dynon roll servo and their heated pitot/angle of attack tube installed . Could I use those with the garmin system?

g3xpert

The new pricing and AP put the GX3 system close to the price of some of the other EFIS systems I am considering. I do have a couple questions.

1. What is the cost of the sensors for the EIS? It says "starts at $299", but the link does not work to get further info.

2. Looking at the list below, what else is needed to make this system complete? (for day -VFR only)

GDU 370 Display
A/P Servos
A/P Control
AOA-Heated pitot
GSU Second ADAHRS (if using 2 GDU 370's)
GMA 240 Audio Panel
SL 40 COM
GDL Uplink - Weather - Traffic
GTX 23 ES Mode S Transponder
EIS Engine Sensors - Lycoming O320

Thanks for the help. I may have to re-consider my selection. I had narrowed it to the Skyview or the GRT. It will be interesting to see all the units at SNF.

I already have a Dynon roll servo and their heated pitot/angle of attack tube installed . Could I use those with the garmin system?

The servo is a definite no. There are some major technical differences between the Dynon servo and the GSA28.

I was told that the Dynon AOA probe is not supported.

Did I miis anything?

Hi Mark - You covered the bases pretty well.

First, the GSU 73 will absolutely still be supported for those who have one, or decide they want to buy one. However, as you pointed out, the new black boxes are lighter and less expensive - thus is the nature of technological progress.

The GAP 26 is a combination pitot/AOA probe (heated or unheated) which doesn't have any special smarts on its own. To have angle of attack you plumb the pneumatic tube from the AOA portion of the GAP 26 into the corresponding AOA input port on the GSU 25.

The GMU 22 and GMU 44 magnetometers use identical wiring and have the same physical dimensions and performance characteristics, so no changes necessary there.

Our autopilot servos use the same industry-standard mounting pattern as used by various other manufacturers. They are smaller and lighter, but they should still bolt into the same holes. For those who prefer a completely standalone autopilot, support for using third-party autopilots such as the Trutrak GX Pilot with your G3X system continues, including the ability to mix and match the Trutrak and our new GMC 305 mode controller as mentioned earlier in this thread.

As you pointed out, the installation manual is not available quite yet since these products will not be shipping for a few weeks, but we're happy to share information here in the meantime.

- Matt

Hi Bob,

We have not tested our AOA system with anyone else's probe design, so we can't say whether or not this would work. We can only say for sure that it's designed to work with our probe.

Our system is compatible with certain third-party autopilots, including the Trutrak GX Pilot, but it does not plug directly into third-party autopilot servos. Hope that clears things up!

- Matt

The new pricing and AP put the GX3 system close to the price of some of the other EFIS systems I am considering. I do have a couple questions.

1. What is the cost of the sensors for the EIS? It says "starts at $299", but the link does not work to get further info.

2. Looking at the list below, what else is needed to make this system complete? (for day -VFR only)

GDU 370 Display
A/P Servos
A/P Control
AOA-Heated pitot
GMA 240 Audio Panel
SL 40 COM

Thanks for the help. I may have to re-consider my selection. I had narrowed it to the Skyview or the GRT. It will be interesting to see all the units at SNF.

You said Day VFR so:

You don't have to have the GMC305 but I would highly recommend it based on my experience in the past with dedicated controls.
You don't have to have the heated version of the GAP26. They are releasing a non-heated version
You only must have one GSU25 for VFR but you can add up to three if you want, one GSU25 can be shared with up to three GDU screens. For the first one, get the package that comes with the GMU22 & GTP59.
Just a suggestion...Go with the newer GTR series radio, the SL40 design is quite dated...
You will need the GEA24 as well if you want to add EIS information to the system.

Here is a link to the Garmin Sensor Price Page...

Last edited:

Click here to see prices for G3X engine sensor kits. The list price for a four-cylinder Lycoming kit with fuel flow is $999. (These are the same sensors we have been using all along, by the way, no changes there)

GDU 370 Display
A/P Servos
A/P Control
AOA-Heated pitot
GMA 240 Audio Panel
SL 40 COM

The above system should work great for VFR flying, although I should point out that without an IFR-certified GPS navigator, you will not be ADS-B Out compliant after 2020 given the way the rules are currently written.

By the way, since the GSU 25 (and GSU 73) ADAHRS units live on a shared bus, there is no strict relationship between the number of display in the panel and the number of ADAHRS units supported. Any G3X system with any number of displays can have one, two, or even three ADAHRS installed. We do try to steer people who want a full-featured system, such as the one you described, towards a two-display setup since it offers more glass area and additional places to connect serial devices.

- Matt

Brian, you are a faster typist than I am! Maybe I should go home and let you take over. ;)

- Matt

Matt and Brian,
Thanks for the info. I did have the A/P control listed and the 2 servos. I like what I read about the AP system.

I would also like to have 2 G3X screens, but may have to wait for a second one because of costs. I updated my list and I think I have included everything.

GDU 370 Display $4,375
A/P Servos (2) $1,598
GMC 305 A/P Control $750
AOA-Heated pitot $300
GMA 240 Audio Panel $845
GTR 225 COM Radio $1,800
GDL Uplink - Weather - Traffic $800
GTX 23 ES Mode S Transponder $2,200
G3X Sensor Kit, 4 Cylinder Lyc/Cont (K00-00512-00) $1,000
Optional Carb Temp sensor $75

Total - $13,750+-

Second GUD 370 and ADAHRS $3000+-

As for the ADS-B out, I imagine I would have updated my panel by then.

I look forward to seeing the units at SNF.

Last edited:
Brian, you are a faster typist than I am! Maybe I should go home and let you take over. ;)

- Matt

Naaa, your official replies are the only ones that matter....mine are only worth what they paid for em. :p This is all good stuff and gets my electrons flowing!

- Matt

I'm just getting booted up on the left coast this morning, and you two guys already have this at four pages of posts - no matter who is answering, I think thre is a LOT of interest.

I only wish we had room in Tsam for the new 305 control head.....

COLD TEMPS

The GSU 73 is rated to -85 Dec C. For this reason alone I was set on a G3 being my next EFIS.

The last 3 EFIS failures I have had all happened in -10 to -18 C with units rated to -20. These were not Garmin systems.

To quote Matt, " First, the GSU 73 will absolutely still be supported for those who have one, or decide they want to buy one. However, as you pointed out, the new black boxes are lighter and less expensive - thus is the nature of technological progress. "

What are the temp spec limits for the new GSU 25? Will it work with no AOA probe or data?

GMC 305

Matt,
Is the GMC 305 Autopilot controller the unit that you had in mind to replace the AICD in the Doll's panel?

What are the temp spec limits for the new GSU 25? Will it work with no AOA probe or data?

AOA input is optional and you can leave it off you want.

The draft version of the installation manual I'm looking at right now lists an operating temperature range of -45C to +70C for both the GSU 25 and GSU 73. You should see the clouds that form when the liquid nitrogen truck pulls up to top off the big storage tank that we use for production testing! :) I believe the -85C figure you are thinking of is actually the lower limit for total air temperature (i.e. OAT) which is +/- 85C.

- Matt

Last edited:
Is the GMC 305 Autopilot controller the unit that you had in mind to replace the AICD in the Doll's panel?

Hi Danny,

The GMC 305 is about the same height as your CD player, so I imagine it would work just great in your panel. As an ex-airline guy I'm sure you will have a special appreciation for the benefits of a dedicated AFCS mode control panel.

- Matt

G3X

I was just drawing out options for my RV-8 panel last night. This will be a game changer.

I have a VM-1000 now. Will the probes, etc work with your engine module?

Thanks,
John

GMC 305

Hi Danny,

The GMC 305 is about the same height as your CD player, so I imagine it would work just great in your panel. As an ex-airline guy I'm sure you will have a special appreciation for the benefits of a dedicated AFCS mode control panel.

- Matt
I do, and I think it will be a real asset. Gee, I thought I was done with the Doll's panel after installing the GTX 330es and GDL 39. These airplanes are never really finished!

Thanks for all your help.

Last edited:
I have a VM-1000 now. Will the probes, etc work with your engine module?

Hello John,

Typically what we tell people who are converting from another engine monitoring system is that they will be able to re-use about half their sensors, especially their thermocouples. As for the rest, since we don't know exactly which sensors you have, the easiest way to determine if what you have will work is to take a look at Table 8-1 and appendixes E & F of the current G3X installation manual. The same probes will be supported for both the GEA 24 and GSU 73.

- Matt

Matt,

Any talk of adding the AOA variable to the serial text output? I would love to have my remote AOA display back in action!

Back