What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Easy speed mods?

Tram

Well Known Member
Hey guys-

My pops and I are about to get our "fresh" cylindered 6 back from quite a lengthy annual. :)

I am just curious if there were any "obvious" speed mods that will help us squeeze a lil' more go out of it?

My other "speed toy" is my Trans Am and I know there are a few things you can do just to pick up the HP a lil' bit..

Just curious if there might be anything along these lines for the RV.. :)

We did not build our plane and are still learning more about it every day..

Thanks!

Jeff

Sure, it's as easy as two small steps:

1. More power

2. Less drag

:) Sorry, couldn't resist. It may help a little if you let us know a little more about the plane. What kind of engine/prop do you have? How much does it weigh? Any fairings on the plane?

Generally, if you want the faster airplane, put as big of an engine as you safely can on it, get a constant-speed prop, a SJ cowling, and keep the plane as light as possible. It's also always a good idea to make sure all controls are properly rigged as well.

aileron gap seals?

I cant recall seeing any RV's with aileron gap seals. Anyone done that? Looks like an easy mod.

"The Book"

"Speed With Economy" by Kent Paser published by Paser Publications, 5672 West Chesnut Avenue, Littleton, CO 80123 is owned by everyone I run into that is interested in this subject. Not only is it a joy to read but it gives you a lot of ideas that he has tried with a candid evaluation of the results.

If you can make it over to Taylor Texas Saturday morning November 17, 2007 you can see several RVs that have been modified for speed including John Huft's super fast RV-8. The race course narative and photos and rules are at www.sportairrace.org under calendar of Events and Rocket 100. There is no entry fee so you can join in and run with everyone else to see how you match up as is (pretty good I suspect).

The biggest speed gains I have made are with extra baffling in the lower cowl and reduction of wingspan. The total improvement I have made over the initial baseline of 170.67 kts is 7 kts.

Good luck,

Bob Axsom

"Speed With Economy" by Kent Paser published by Paser Publications, 5672 West Chesnut Avenue, Littleton, CO 80123 is owned by everyone I run into that is interested in this subject. Not only is it a joy to read but it gives you a lot of ideas that he has tried with a candid evaluation of the results.

If you can make it over to Taylor Texas Saturday morning November 17, 2007 you can see several RVs that have been modified for speed including John Huft's super fast RV-8. The race course narative and photos and rules are at www.sportairrace.org under calendar of Events and Rocket 100. There is no entry fee so you can join in and run with everyone else to see how you match up as is (pretty good I suspect).

The biggest speed gains I have made are with extra baffling in the lower cowl and reduction of wingspan. The total improvement I have made over the initial baseline of 170.67 kts is 7 kts.

Good luck,

Bob Axsom

Sounds like a good read Bob, and appropriately titled. I can already reach VNE in level flight without any mods, so are we really talking about efficiency mods? (unless you want to go above VNE and test that envelope)

It is a very good read

It is a very good book written in a style that shares systematically developed modifications to a single airplane over time that resulted in performance improvements that were validated in competition with that very airplane. He gives details and tells where he achieved the greatest improvements. You could focus on the economy benefits of the modifications if you are not interested in improving your top speed. At low altitudes I am starting to hit the red line in level flight as well but every gain from this point is very small and I continue to look for more. The design is very clean and further cleanup is hard to do. Often I find myself going a little slower after I develop a change instead of faster.

Bob Axsom

Hey Guys-

Thanks for the replies..

We've got a RV6 with an O-320 in the nose of it..

We've got the typical "stock" aircraft.. We are upgrading to the newer style Vans wheel pants, but other than that, she's a stock bird.. :)

rv62pj1.jpg

Looks nice

New wheel pants
New James Cowl sealed plennum
New wing tips.
New BA Hartzell prop

Oh you said easy (and presumably cheap). Never mind none of the above fit the "easy" criteria.

The wheel pants will help. You say that is in the works. That should be worth several MPH. Try to get good WOT 8,000' numbers before and after the wheel pants for the group data bank. Cost will not be too bad, but hassle high and worth it. New gear leg cuff fairing will be needed. If you have old two piece metal gear leg fairings you might as well change that with wheel pants. The new fiberglass ones are a little wider chord I believe. Team Rocket sells wide ones that are less drag than Van's stock glass ones. Still the old metal ones are a little shorter cord and therefore more drag. Regardless the fairings need to be rigged perfectly to get max out of them. Cost is zero but it takes time and effort to rig the plane.

The cowl and sealed plenum is a a BIG expensive change. However you could try to get rid of the soft seals with a solid cover over the baffles. The trick is to also make a better cowl to plenum connection, which is kind of leaky in stock form. That will help somewhat, especially if you modify the stock cowl inlets a little and reduce inlet area a little (from inboard edge or not as tall). That can be done if you know fiberglass with not a lot of money but lots of time.

Wing tips will not save much but a properly prepared symmetric wing tip will make the plane a tad faster than the shear. When I say properly prepared there are some tricks to making the stock wing tip lower drag. Bob Axsom recently made his own wing tips that where smaller and added top speed, with some loss at the low end. Check his thread. He is the resident mad experimenter. :D He tries all kinds of things and is generous with his findings. Somethings work some don't.

Last edited:
24 years of the RVator

An article in that book described the low-cost steps two builders did to their RV6A's. IIRC they achieved their best gains by fairing the tail tie down ring and reducing the size of the air intake hole on the lower cowl. Gap seals provided no benefit. Changing the angle of and lengthening the exhaust pipes also did nada.
The article states they picked up around 8 kts.

Steve

Just Read "Speed with Economy"

and for me the biggest surprise was his six MPH gain from treating his engine with Microlon. Anyone else use Microlon?

Hans

I'm up to about 14 kts gain now

I have tried a lot of things an posted them here with the results - good and bad. It is very interesting to think out drag reduction ideas, implement them carefully and test them. The options are many and I don't see the end yet.

Bob Axsom

I believe gap seals on the rudder and elevator are acceptable and helpful, gap seals on the ailerons are decidedly not, with potentially disastrous consequences in store if tried.

Just checking in...

Regards,

Lee...

I posed the same question a couple of years ago

and for me the biggest surprise was his six MPH gain from treating his engine with Microlon. Anyone else use Microlon?

Hans

I posed the same question a couple of years ago and the reaction from people who seemed to know what they were talking about that it is a bad idea. I know of no one that has reported positive results. It would not bother me at all to hear some first hand results - good or bad. I must admit I would like to hear good results because the book is so honestly written and so informative. If the stuff is bad it is almost like he compromised his integrity for bucks - I just don't want to believe that.

Bob Axsom

Bob, since you asked, I will tell you that I have put microlon in every aircraft engine I have ever owned, including the 2 Rotax 912's. I don't know about speed increases, but I immediately saw reductions in CHT's and oil temps at the same power settings, and the engines did in fact seem to run smoother. I've always put it in at the 100 hour mark. On my last RV-10, during the hot Altanta summers with 95 degree OAT, high humidity, and gross weight take-offs and climbs straight to 10,000 feet, I would see max CHT's of 390 and oil at 210. Once leveled off I would have to shut the oil cooler door to get it up to 190 and the CHT's would be around 340-350. Was it due to the Microlon, my baffling, or the engine just breaking in? We won't ever know, and I won't claim anything. I do know it has never seemed to hurt the engines, so I keep using it. :)

Vic

Thanks Vic

I'm using Shell multigrade oil with the anti-wear ingrediants. What oil do you use. I'm thinking I've got to give it a shot. 6 mph gain - OMG!

Bob Axsom

Fessin' Up

Okay, I'm going to fess up, I put Microlon into my engine at about 25 hours. Nothing was really calibrated so I don't have any speed data, but one result was pretty clear, my CHT's went up by about 20F on that flight. (they recommend a three hour flight to treat the engine) Not sure why, perhaps all that plasticky material acting as an insulator? They were still in a good range, and I don't have overheating problems.

My plane does seem a little fast for how rough it is aerodynamically, maybe it's the Microlon. I have I think 118 hours on the engine now.

Hans

I have studied the book "speed with economy" on and off now for years. The book is a must read for people who want to go faster. Ken was a Microlon dealer. I can honestly say that there is no way he picked up 6 knots by using Microlon. If it really did work that good, EVERYBODY would be using it.

The best and cheapest way to pick up speed is to switch to the new wheel pants.

We will see

That sounds like a lot like a rationalization based on a logical fallacy. Has anyone really tested the effect on speed? I am preoccupied with a lot of other issues at this time but if things work out I will give it a shot and report the results. I must admit I don't expect much if anything but I have to know.

Bob Axsom

49clipper

I will admit years ago, I tried Microlon in my Chevy pickup. I did it somewhat scientifically, by first getting it up to normal temp, then checking compression, digital tach to measure rpm. While idling, I added he presribed amount. Almost immediately, the engine gained about 300 rpm. After driving it he prescribed time, I came back and did anothr compression check. To my surprise, it did gain compression. This was on an older engine with about 80,000 miles. I think it gained about 10-20 pounds per cylinder. Its been years ago and have never tried it since.
Just my .02.

That sounds like a lot like a rationalization based on a logical fallacy. Has anyone really tested the effect on speed? I am preoccupied with a lot of other issues at this time but if things work out I will give it a shot and report the results. I must admit I don't expect much if anything but I have to know.

Bob Axsom

I used the Microlon product on my guns bout 4.5yrs ago and saw such a difference I used it on things around the house and in my engine of my 07' Silverado (4.8L V8). I actually wasn't expecting any thing from putting it in my engine, but I received 3mpg better! After seeing this I became a disrtibutor of the Microlon products.

More Engine Power

More Engine Power

Tomorrows the day, Will be doing dyno test pulls on a RV-7 with an IO-360. I?ll be up @ Russ?s hanger installing the intake induction system mods that I have been working on for the past few months with a parallel valve cylinder head on the flow bench. Info. on my Face Book group and join (Aircraft Engine Performance) link: http://www.facebook.com/#/group.php?gid=252683466347 Test results will be posted.

Thomas Shpakow
www.g3ignition.com

I know someone here can tell me:
How much more HP would be required for a particular RV to gain 6 MPH @ WOT without changing anything else?

Sounds like Microlon is HP in a can.:)

HP calc

6 mph is 3% of 200 mph. Using the cube law (only a little inaccurate in this case) we get 1.03 x 1.03 x 1.03 = 1.09273 which is 147.5 BHP starting from 135 (which is 75% of 180). Net difference is 147.5 - 135 = 12.5 BHP.

I don't believe that Microlon or any friction reducer can get that level of improvement from a healthy, properly lubed engine, but that is what the math works out to.

I know someone here can tell me:
How much more HP would be required for a particular RV to gain 6 MPH @ WOT without changing anything else?

Sounds like Microlon is HP in a can.:)

On average people are seeing about 4% increase in HP using the Microlon CL-100 in the engine. I am also working on a Microlon application for use on the wings and propeller to reduce drag. Let me know if you're interested.

More basic aero math / drag reduction coating

If any change produced 4% more power it would produce approximately 1.3% more speed (cube root of 1.04).

Anything that reduces skin friction drag (a form of parasite drag) is good. Polished aluminum is faster than painted as proven in WWII. LoPresti has "Knot Wax" which they say will make you faster. Spruce sells "Star Brite" which claims to reduce drag 5.5%. They also sell "Rejex" which is a polymer coating that is amazingly slick and allows bugs to come off with a light pass with a wet cloth - probably as good as anything can be at reducing drag but makes no claim.
There is always room for something better, though.

Counter-intuitively, dimpled skins have been shown in limited experiments to be lower drag than smooth. http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/22/mythbusters-golf-ball-like-dimpling-mpg/#continued . What really puzzled me is that the Myth Busters used orange-sized dimples rather than small ones like on a golf ball. 26 mph vs 29 mph in a very well controlled test. Also see: http://www.dimpletape.com/article.htm

In any case, metal-to-metal friction is very different than air friction and would likely require different reduction techniques.

Surface slickness increases speed - I don't think so

Surface slickness increases speed - I don't think so. I don't believe that there is intimate contact between the passive smooth exterior surface of the airplane and the general air mass that it is flying through. I think there is a boundary layer of air attached to the airframe and if there is anything to the story about dimple surface going faster it is because it discourages the boundary layer.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Are we saying my orange peel paint job makes my plane faster?
Maybe I can explain it as a speed mod.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Laminar vs Turbulent flow

Oh, boy, this is dangerous but I'm going to reference a little of my fluid dynamics education from a few years ago. The concepts in question are laminar flow, turbulent flow, boundary layers. Making the surface "slicker" won't really do anything, because of the boundary layer effect. In theory, the first layer of air molecules touching the surface are at zero knots relative to the skin, so it's "slickness" doesn't matter. Having the surface smooth overall encourages laminar flow, which has less skin friction drag. A surface that is "bumpy" (like with round head rivets, or maybe orange peel?) doesn't so much discourage the boundary layer as encourage it. It's very difficult to maintain a flow so smooth that it stays truly laminar - it's going to eventually change to a turbulent boundary layer. Turbulent layers are thicker and have more skin friction drag, but they can reduce PRESSURE drag. Pressure drag happens when flow "separates" from the surface and goes all haywire. (lots of separation = stalled wing). Turbulent flow delays separation.

In summary, bumps = turbulent flow = delayed separation = less pressure drag and delayed stall. That's why golf balls have them and why vortex generators can improve performance in some instances.

That may have made no sense, and might even have some incorrect stuff in it, but it was fun to make use of that class from way back... ;)

Flow demonstration

Not sure how this relates, but if you want a good demonstration of laminar flow, and turbulent flow, do the following:

Light a candle. Any standard romantic candle will do.
Let it burn for a few minutes, say long enough to open a bottle of wine, pour a glass, and have a sip. (This gives the wax time to melt and vaporize.)
Blow the candle out.
Observe the smoke:
The smoke will rise from the candle for a few inches very straight and smooth- this is laminar flow.
Then the smoke will suddenly begin to curl and move about- this is turbulent flow.

The significant part of this experiment is sipping the wine. Not sure if anything else is very important.:p

Not sure how this relates, but if you want a good demonstration of laminar flow, and turbulent flow, do the following:

Light a candle. Any standard romantic candle will do.
Let it burn for a few minutes, say long enough to open a bottle of wine, pour a glass, and have a sip. (This gives the wax time to melt and vaporize.)
Blow the candle out.
Observe the smoke:
The smoke will rise from the candle for a few inches very straight and smooth- this is laminar flow.
Then the smoke will suddenly begin to curl and move about- this is turbulent flow.

The significant part of this experiment is sipping the wine. Not sure if anything else is very important.:p

For old married guys like me who don't have any romantic candles handy, I recommend a good Fuente Fuente Opux X cigar (such as the one I just enjoyed this evening in the shop) and a bottle of Port. :)

Excellent Input

Oh, boy, this is dangerous but I'm going to reference a little of my fluid dynamics education from a few years ago. The concepts in question are laminar flow, turbulent flow, boundary layers. Making the surface "slicker" won't really do anything, because of the boundary layer effect. In theory, the first layer of air molecules touching the surface are at zero knots relative to the skin, so it's "slickness" doesn't matter. Having the surface smooth overall encourages laminar flow, which has less skin friction drag. A surface that is "bumpy" (like with round head rivets, or maybe orange peel?) doesn't so much discourage the boundary layer as encourage it. It's very difficult to maintain a flow so smooth that it stays truly laminar - it's going to eventually change to a turbulent boundary layer. Turbulent layers are thicker and have more skin friction drag, but they can reduce PRESSURE drag. Pressure drag happens when flow "separates" from the surface and goes all haywire. (lots of separation = stalled wing). Turbulent flow delays separation.

In summary, bumps = turbulent flow = delayed separation = less pressure drag and delayed stall. That's why golf balls have them and why vortex generators can improve performance in some instances.

That may have made no sense, and might even have some incorrect stuff in it, but it was fun to make use of that class from way back... ;)

Excellent input. It gives more food for thought and thirst for more formal information - always a good thing. Since this arose out of a consideration of the speed effect of surface slickness resulting from waxing or surface lubrication, the boundary layer is a real concern. How thick is it? Is the thickness a constant or does it vary? Does thickness vary with speed? Does it vary with turbulence? Does the boundary layer vary in thickness over the surface of the airplane in flight due to temperature or altitude? Is the boundary layer thickness different at different points on the airplane in steady state flight? Does the boundary layer ever separate from any surface of an airplane in flight? Does the thickness of the boundary layer add to the physical cross section of the airplane and thus add to the drag? If it truly has zero velocity with respect to the surface of the airplane then it does not flow with respect to the airplane so how does laminar flow or turbulent flow of the surrounding air affect it? Since the boundary layer is not moving with respect to the aircraft surface but the aircraft is moving through the atmosphere there must be a dynamic interface between the boundary layer and the air that the airplane is passing through - how is this interface defined? If the airplane strikes and object in flight what is the effect on the boundary layer? In oil drop experiments to determine airflow where is the oil with respect to the boundary layer?

A very interesting subject - thanks for the information.

Bob Axsom

Boundary Layers

With regard to laminar and turbulent boundary layers I think we need to agree on a few basics,
- Boundary layers are thin, really thin at the leading edge and thicker by the time the flow gets to the trailing edge - I can't remember how thin, but measuring in 0.001" is certainly appropriate.
- A laminar flow boundary layer is lower drag than a turbulent one, but its difficult to keep the flow laminar over an entire wing.
- The boundary layer on just about all wings (definitely all manned aircraft) will trip from laminar to turbulent at some point along the chord.
- A "laminar flow" wing just delays the point at which the flow trips from laminar to turbulent.
- A smooth and shiney wing surface will keep the flow laminar longer and so will be lower drag.
- Turbulent flow has more energy and will stick better to shapes that the flow doesn't really want to follow - the backside of a wing at high angle of attack or the backside of a golf ball. But at low angles of attack (the angles that most RVs fly at most of the time) it doesn't help much to energise the boundary layer by making it more turbulent or turbulent earlier (the energy has to come from somewhere - a small increase in skin friction drag). So in most cases for an RV, wing surface roughness (or orangepeel paint, sorry Dan) won't help you go faster.
- There's a lot more to this story!

Pete

I'll try to answer these

There are others more qualified to answer these, but I'll take a crack at it. Everybody let me know if I'm remembering any of this wrong. First, here's a pic:

20061218_Boundary_Layer_of_Flat_Plate_jpg.jpg

How thick is it?
Very thin. Like Pete said, .001" kind of scale.

Is the thickness a constant or does it vary?
Grows nonlinearly with the distance from the leading edge.

Does thickness vary with speed?
Speed affects the boundary layer profile, as velocity is one component used to solve the Navier-Stokes equations, which define the theoretical profile of a boundary layer.

Does it vary with turbulence?
Turbulence is basically rapid changes in free-stream velocity, so as the velocity changed, the boundary layer would as well. Standard boundary layer theory is a static analysis of airflow, though, and I don't know of any theories on dynamically changing velocity. Probably doesn't amount to much practical difference, since the effects we generally care about would just relate to the average flow velocity, anyway.

Does the boundary layer vary in thickness over the surface of the airplane in flight due to temperature or altitude?
Density of the freestream flow affects the boundary layer, and temp/altitude would affect that, so I would say probably yes, but not much.

Is the boundary layer thickness different at different points on the airplane in steady state flight?
Yes, reference Navier-Stokes and picture.

Does the boundary layer ever separate from any surface of an airplane in flight?
A severe separation of the boundary layer on a wing is what we commonly refer to as a "stall". Anywhere that the flow across the surface reverses direction in relation to the freestream is considered a separation, and results in a lot of drag (pressure drag). Un-faired wheels hanging in the wind will have separated flow behind them. Getting most of that flow to stay attached is basically what gives us the 10+ knots of speed with wheel fairings. Flow will often separate where there is an abrupt decrease in cross-section. I'm unsure if flow separates behind the bubble canopies on RVs, but is another place that flow separation is often fought.

Does the thickness of the boundary layer add to the physical cross section of the airplane and thus add to the drag?
Yes, that's basically what gives us skin friction drag. The way I understand it, laminar flow has less drag basically because it's smaller, therefore less cross section and less drag.

If it truly has zero velocity with respect to the surface of the airplane then it does not flow with respect to the airplane so how does laminar flow or turbulent flow of the surrounding air affect it?
The air around the airplane, outside the boundary layer, is assumed (reasonably) to be constant and parallel. That's not perfectly true, of course, but the variations usually don't significantly affect the outcome or analysis.

Since the boundary layer is not moving with respect to the aircraft surface but the aircraft is moving through the atmosphere there must be a dynamic interface between the boundary layer and the air that the airplane is passing through - how is this interface defined?
Basically the interface IS the boundary layer. Remember only the FIRST molecule of air touching the skin is at zero knots. The boundary layer is the explanation of how the first layer of molecules are going 0 kts in relation to the skin, the next layer is moving slightly, and each layer continues to go faster until some layer reaches freestream velocity (defining the edge of the boundary layer).

If the airplane strikes and object in flight what is the effect on the boundary layer?
The flow would be disturbed for a moment, but then re-establish itself immediately with no noticeable effect.

In oil drop experiments to determine airflow where is the oil with respect to the boundary layer?
The oil drop would basically be a wall in front of the flowing air in the boundary layer. The interaction that boundary layer flow with the oil is what tells you how the air is behaving at that point. Smooth laminar flow would just cause the oil to streak along with it. Turbulent flow (being turbulent, by definition) would hit the oil with more random velocities, causing the oil to splotch around a bit as it streaked (more turbulent = more randomness and "splotchiness). If the oil streaks backwards, against the flow, and is extremely spread around - that would be a separated boundary layer.

Whew.

Very interesting discussion...

...Years ago, I was coming home after a spray job and saw a huge column of black smoke just north of town. I flew over there and it was a bulk gas plant with an eighteen-wheeler tanker on fire. Turns out he was unloading mogas and somehow caught fire and as soon as I landed, the fire department called and asked if we could dump water on the building near the fire, so we loaded up my Cessna Agwagon and the Air Tractor and flew over and dumped water on the building.

One of my friends was a firefighter involved that day and he called to thank us for "sucking" the heat and smoke away from them, into a trail behind us. Pictures later showed that the smoke was indeed, following us for quite a way and it gave me time to ponder what was going on. It looked like a column of a dying cumulo t-storm with an anvil head trailer following me.

The air was still that day and apparently had no speed but the skin friction of the airplane moved the air in the direction I was flying, so it "followed" me for quite way....hundred yards maybe....my own wind tunnel:)

We saved the building and made a few friends too.

Best,

Great Job Jordan

There are others more qualified to answer these, but I'll take a crack at it. Everybody let me know if I'm remembering any of this wrong. First, here's a pic:

20061218_Boundary_Layer_of_Flat_Plate_jpg.jpg

How thick is it?
Very thin. Like Pete said, .001" kind of scale.

Is the thickness a constant or does it vary?
Grows nonlinearly with the distance from the leading edge.

Does thickness vary with speed?
Speed affects the boundary layer profile, as velocity is one component used to solve the Navier-Stokes equations, which define the theoretical profile of a boundary layer.

Does it vary with turbulence?
Turbulence is basically rapid changes in free-stream velocity, so as the velocity changed, the boundary layer would as well. Standard boundary layer theory is a static analysis of airflow, though, and I don't know of any theories on dynamically changing velocity. Probably doesn't amount to much practical difference, since the effects we generally care about would just relate to the average flow velocity, anyway.

Does the boundary layer vary in thickness over the surface of the airplane in flight due to temperature or altitude?
Density of the freestream flow affects the boundary layer, and temp/altitude would affect that, so I would say probably yes, but not much.

Is the boundary layer thickness different at different points on the airplane in steady state flight?
Yes, reference Navier-Stokes and picture.

Does the boundary layer ever separate from any surface of an airplane in flight?
A severe separation of the boundary layer on a wing is what we commonly refer to as a "stall". Anywhere that the flow across the surface reverses direction in relation to the freestream is considered a separation, and results in a lot of drag (pressure drag). Un-faired wheels hanging in the wind will have separated flow behind them. Getting most of that flow to stay attached is basically what gives us the 10+ knots of speed with wheel fairings. Flow will often separate where there is an abrupt decrease in cross-section. I'm unsure if flow separates behind the bubble canopies on RVs, but is another place that flow separation is often fought.

Does the thickness of the boundary layer add to the physical cross section of the airplane and thus add to the drag?
Yes, that's basically what gives us skin friction drag. The way I understand it, laminar flow has less drag basically because it's smaller, therefore less cross section and less drag.

If it truly has zero velocity with respect to the surface of the airplane then it does not flow with respect to the airplane so how does laminar flow or turbulent flow of the surrounding air affect it?
The air around the airplane, outside the boundary layer, is assumed (reasonably) to be constant and parallel. That's not perfectly true, of course, but the variations usually don't significantly affect the outcome or analysis.

Since the boundary layer is not moving with respect to the aircraft surface but the aircraft is moving through the atmosphere there must be a dynamic interface between the boundary layer and the air that the airplane is passing through - how is this interface defined?
Basically the interface IS the boundary layer. Remember only the FIRST molecule of air touching the skin is at zero knots. The boundary layer is the explanation of how the first layer of molecules are going 0 kts in relation to the skin, the next layer is moving slightly, and each layer continues to go faster until some layer reaches freestream velocity (defining the edge of the boundary layer).

If the airplane strikes and object in flight what is the effect on the boundary layer?
The flow would be disturbed for a moment, but then re-establish itself immediately with no noticeable effect.

In oil drop experiments to determine airflow where is the oil with respect to the boundary layer?
The oil drop would basically be a wall in front of the flowing air in the boundary layer. The interaction that boundary layer flow with the oil is what tells you how the air is behaving at that point. Smooth laminar flow would just cause the oil to streak along with it. Turbulent flow (being turbulent, by definition) would hit the oil with more random velocities, causing the oil to splotch around a bit as it streaked (more turbulent = more randomness and "splotchiness). If the oil streaks backwards, against the flow, and is extremely spread around - that would be a separated boundary layer.

Whew.

Thank you for taking the time to provide this information - great job!

Bob Axsom

All this explanation of laminar flow, boundry layer etc seems to point to the use of vortex generators to keep the air flow attached to the wing.
What do you guys think?

Glenn Wilkinson

No free lunch

Jordan, great picture!

Glenn, vortex generators kick off a highly energetic tight spiral of air that stops span-wise flow (flow from root to tip) and also helps the flow remain attached across the whole chord of the wing, but they have to get energy from somewhere - so do add drag. If the flow is detaching they are one method that can be used to to keep it attached - but why is it detaching? The main reason is you're trying to fly at a large angle of attack. The usual reason is ultra-STOL take-offs and landings. In an RV most people don't need ultra-STOL performance so don't fly at high AoA very often and don't need to improve (the already fairly good) handling and performance. If you need to improve the STOL performance of your airplane, and can afford to give up some cruise performance, then VGs may be one way to go. But, there's no "VG handbook" that I've come across - so the exact size, location and number of VGs that you might need is somewhat a matter of trial and error.

Pete

VGs = failure

I had an Aero instructor (aircraft design) once tell me that vortex generators on an aircraft represented "failure". They are a a duct-tape fix because your design didn't work like it was supposed to. IIRC, his specific example was the after-body on the B-1B. There are VGs back at the end of the fuselage because the air gets so dirty back there that it separates earlier than it should and causes a lot of drag. They added VGs in testing and made some gains, so there they are to this day.

So much for the simple solution to easily get a few extra knots out of the 'ol 6. Interesting read though. The new 'pressure recovery' wheel pants are probably your best bet for an extra 2-3 knots.

Scott
RV-8 FB

Flat paint?

While we're visiting the topic of laminar flow, what's the thinking on flat paint v glossy paint? I seem to remember Peter Garrison writing once that there would be no difference in speed. However, when I posted that on the "Flying" magazine forum, I got little response.

Opinions? Facts?

Spit Peas

Laminar is best. If you can maintain it
If you can't, a rough surface 'energising' the airflow is better, as it helps the airflow stay attached to the wing; as has already been pointed out.
Extensive lamina flow over a large part of the wing is VERY hard to achieve. Axsom type sailplane enthusiasts have been known to fill and sand their sailplane wings for hundreds of hours to achieve a wing of the accuracy needed to keep the flow lamina. One down side of a really good lamina wing is when the flow breaks away, it really does it in a big way. Having the flow on one wing let go before the other has obvious spectacular results.
It is preferable to have lamina flow at the front of the wing and accept that it will eventually become turbulent towards the rear of the wing, where it is a good thing; helps keep the flow attached.
The Brits (I love the way they do things) wanted to know the point at which lamina flow cease on the Spitfire, so they purchased a load of spilt peas from the local grocer and progressively glued them to the upper surface -front to rear I seem to remember- until they found the point where they were disturbing the laminar flow. A lot easier than drilling out the flush rivets and replacing them with dome rivets.
If you look and a Beech Bonanza you will see that the rivets are flush back to the spar and then domed. Walter Beach must have had a friend at Supermarine.

Pete.

I'm not an aerodynamicist either, but I'm pretty sure that's what Van's called them when he came out with the new wheel pants, replacing the older version with the bubbble on the inside to cover the brake caliper. Even though the new ones were bigger, there was less drag and a couple extra knots.

Scott

Actually, if the shape's right, laminar flow is reliable.

Many years ago, for practice, we took some flight-test data on an old battered T-33 that had to be at least 15 or 16 years old. It had been stored outside and wasn't waxed or painted or cherished. It was just one of the line airplanes.

It was long enough ago that we took the data by hand. I plotted it in real time, to see how the points lined up, in hopes of catching a bad data point. We were plotting some function of power like fuel flow or something, I don't remember, versus speed.

It was at first disconcerting to see the sides of the laminar bucket start to form, but as we added more points it was more apparent. It was there, very definitely, and quite robust.

Flying Scotsman,

Since no one else more qualified has chimed in I'll give your "Presure Recovery" question a shot from my poor memory.

As the leading point of the wheel fairing contacts the air it forces the air mass to accelerate to flow around the fairing. When this happens the air flow looses pressure from its ambient pressure due to the acceleration. As the air reaches the largest cross section of the fairing it is at its lowest pressure. Due to the efficient design of the fairing, when the air flows past the widest point it is allowed to decelerate and regain most of its original pressure which reduces turbulence and drag hence "pressure recovery".
(peanut gallery...please correct me if not correct)

N8RV,
For some good info on the flat vs gloss paint check out CAFE foundation. They did a study sometime back testing the effect of a waxed surface vs no wax which is close to your question. If I remember correctly the waxed plane gained 2 or 3 mph.

Glenn Wilkinson
RV-4
N654RV @ MLJ

Flying Scotsman,

Since no one else more qualified has chimed in I'll give your "Presure Recovery" question a shot from my poor memory.

As the leading point of the wheel fairing contacts the air it forces the air mass to accelerate to flow around the fairing. When this happens the air flow looses pressure from its ambient pressure due to the acceleration. As the air reaches the largest cross section of the fairing it is at its lowest pressure. Due to the efficient design of the fairing, when the air flows past the widest point it is allowed to decelerate and regain most of its original pressure which reduces turbulence and drag hence "pressure recovery".

OK, thanks...that makes sense. It was just a term I hadn't heard (and wondered if it was perhaps a little bit of marketing rather than a real thing :) ).

Clay bar detailing job on my Rv-6A...

which was purchased flying, resulted in an indicated speed increase of about 3-4 mph. Typically 178 - 181 mph @ 2600 RPM (O-320 w/ Sensenich) before detailing and 181 - 185 after detailing. So there is a real world data point. The range takes care of the absence of rigorous instrumentation or flight test procedures IMHO. With all due respect to Bob A., it is what it is. I am terrifically happy and grateful to own a plane that flies 3x as fast as a car and gets better mileage than my Ford Ranger pickup doing it.

LarryT

Flying Scotsman,

N8RV,
For some good info on the flat vs gloss paint check out CAFE foundation. They did a study sometime back testing the effect of a waxed surface vs no wax which is close to your question. If I remember correctly the waxed plane gained 2 or 3 mph.

Glenn Wilkinson
RV-4
N654RV @ MLJ

Every so often theory and the real world clash

Every so often theory and the real world clash and sometimes the real world wins. I always have my airplane waxed since I had it painted so I do not have personal comparable waxed vs. unwaxed data. If you get a 3 to 4 mph speed gain and CAFE got 2 to 3 mph gain I guess I had better keep the Blue Bird waxed. It certainly looks better washed and waxed. I have to get back to my latest wing tip mod now which I hope will give me a 1 mph increase in top speed at 6000 ft density altitude.

Bob Axsom

Back