What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anti-Splat-Aero Easy Exit Bar

MelJordan

I saw that Anti-Splat had introduced a new product, the "Easy Exit Bar" for 6,7 &9 "A" model planes. It mounts between the main landing gear weldments and provides a place to push against with your feet getting in or out of the plane. As 70 is at my "six", getting out of my plane was becoming more difficult and puts a real strain on the shoulders. So, I thought I would give it a try and return it if I found it not up to my expectations. After mounting and using it, you couldn't get me to take it out. It really works, making both ingress and egress much easier and your shoulders and carpets no longer take the beating.

Installation really takes less than 10 minutes, most of which is collecting the right wrenches and getting in the airplane. It is well engineered and built, obviously a lot of work went into getting all the angles just right. Once installed it is remarkably firm and steady.

I am writing this review only because I thing other senior captains would find this product helpful. I paid full price plus shipping, and have no connection to Anit-Splat, I just found this a very useful product and will recommend it to my friends that may fit the right pilot demographics.

Last edited:
Mel, It does look like a great product...:)

What is the finish on it? Is it steel of aluminum?

I believe it is an aluminum bar.

Another question for the OP:

Do you have a fuel pump and filter in front of your fuel selector valve? The pictures on the AS site do not show one and it appears to cross where the pump/filter housing sits in my -7A.

It is aluminum and very light. I was concerned about its strength, but it doesn?t flex at all with my 200 lbs.

No, I don?t have a fuel filter in the center channel, I like to put separate filters under the wing root fairings. The bar sits about 2.5 inches above the top of the floor stringers so you would have to measure and see if it would clear your filter hump.

Easy Exit Bar!!!

....Thought perhaps I could answer a couple of questions in advance, and
possibly save some time. The bar is 6061-T6 1.00"X .125" wall Tube, with
no surface treatment. With our prototypes we tried powder coating, Anodizing,
epoxy paint with hardener, and step surface coating. All of the above were
very disappointing to say the least and really didn't hold up under use. They
all scratched up, came off and looked very bad with very little use! The only
thing that really looked nice was the untreated ones, and they stayed that
way. The bar is approximately three inches above the floor and does clear
the fuel pump box on some aircraft, though we did get one report where it
did not clear. if we see more of these we will make some to address this.
so far we have had overwhelmingly positive reports back, and it looks like
we may have a winner here. Thank you all who have and are giving this
new product a shot. Thanks, Allan..:D

Winner

It's a winner for me. Installed mine last week. Took 10 mins because I took my time. I have an older neighbor who has a hard time getting out of my plane. He always toasts the carpet on the way out. This was a great idea. Another winner Alan.

Also I just had Antisplat do bearing mods on all my wheels. The plane rolls so smooth, I think I'm going to need stronger brakes :D. Serious, I am blown away by the wheel bearing mod. No more packing bearings for me!!

Exit Bar

Hey Allan, what about those of us who have covers over the gear leg brackets, like those from Classic Aero Design? Could they be slotted for clearance or would they have to be removed?

Hey Allan, what about those of us who have covers over the gear leg brackets, like those from Classic Aero Design? Could they be slotted for clearance or would they have to be removed?

? We have had a few guys with this combination order the Easy Exit Bar and
do the installation. We have not done it ourselves so no experience to draw
from or comment about. Perhaps one of them could chime in or leave a photo
here for others. Thanks, Allan...:D

It,s REALLY an easy exit bar..

Just installed the Antisplat easy exit bar in our RV 9A. Installs as advertised. I am 76 years old and had a complete shoulder replacement 8 weeks ago, I was a little concerned about getting out of the plane with a still tender and weak shoulder. It works like a champ, didn?t need to push with my compromised shoulder. Thank you Allan for making it possible for this old man to get back in the air.

Fuel Injection

Tried to install it on an 7A with fuel injection. Won't fit, will need several bends to get over the pump and filter box.

Tried to install it on an 7A with fuel injection. Won't fit, will need several bends to get over the pump and filter box.

…. We have seen so far, three different height dimensions on this fuel pump
box. The bar clears the lower ones but we now have a few reports of some
having an interference issue. It would be very helpful to us if some of you
guys with fuel injected models could post the height dimension from the floor
to the top of your fuel pump cover. We will immediately build an "Easy Exit Bar"
to accommodate these models. Please do not order if you have this pump
cover on your aircraft until we have this potential problem solved. We are
very sorry if this is causing anyone concern or extra work. Thanks, Allan .:eek:

Fuel injection measurements

Allan,
I measured my fuel pump/filter "doghouse". This is a per plans RV7A. The doghouse is 2 inches below the fuel selector which is 4 -5/8 inches up from the channel. It is the same width as the fuel selector - 5 inches. I've got some pictures with a ruler laying on it that I'll send to your "info" email address.

I hope this helps. Your product sounds intriguing if it would just fit in my plane!

Anti-Splat Aero Easy Exit Bar

A+
Another winner from Allan and his West Coast "Skunkworks".
Fits perfectly. Easiest "add-on" I've ever put on 3TP. Works great. Just gotta figure out a durable finish that will blend into my finished interior.

Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Allan,
I measured my fuel pump/filter "doghouse". This is a per plans RV7A. The doghouse is 2 inches below the fuel selector which is 4 -5/8 inches up from the channel. It is the same width as the fuel selector - 5 inches. I've got some pictures with a ruler laying on it that I'll send to your "info" email address.

I hope this helps. Your product sounds intriguing if it would just fit in my plane!

...Thank you so much as this does help! It appears these dimensions are the
most common and the tallest as well. Thanks again. Allan..:D

Exit Bar

Here's a picture of my Easy Exit Bar installation showing the fuel selector area. I like the fact that it gives me a secure place to stow my tool bag ahead of the main spar and between the pilot and pax's legs.

Having used it after a two hour flight yesterday, it made exiting the plane much easier, and didn't get in the way at all during my flight. I'm 66 and was beginning to dread lifting myself out of my 6A. No problem at all now, and cockpit entry is also easier.

John

axjz9f.jpg

Last edited:
Allan -

I guess I'm somewhat of a fan. I have your skid, stiffener, and gust lock. Haven't gotten around to sending the wheels in for the bearing mod, but it's on my list. :)

Question on this one. Can installing this bar eliminate stepping on the seats? That would be huge for me, with my nice fresh Classic Aero leather seats.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Two piece model?

Allan I have a fairly big console with fuel shutoff, fuel gauges, parking brake control etc. Have you thought about a two piece model with a separate bar for each side.
I have plenty of existing bolts in the spar I could attach to on the onboard side in my 6A. May even purchase your existing bar and modify it myself to fit. I think you?ve hit a home run with this accessory.

Step on seats

"Can installing this bar eliminate stepping on the seats? That would be huge for me, with my nice fresh Classic Aero leather seats."

I installed one a few weeks ago. You still have to step on the seats. I just have an old towel that i put down.

"Can installing this bar eliminate stepping on the seats? That would be huge for me, with my nice fresh Classic Aero leather seats."

I installed one a few weeks ago. You still have to step on the seats. I just have an old towel that i put down.

?.This does not eliminate the need to step on the seats. That would
really be a great product if I could come up with a solution! Thanks, Allan..:D

Much Easier to Get out of my 9a Using the Easy Out

I'm getting older and it now takes just about all my arm strength to lift up high enough to get my feet underneath and extricate myself from my 9a. Just installed the Easy Out and it is a big improvement. It takes a lot less arm strength to steady myself while stepping on the Easy Out to lift up. It is a very rigid bar that is in just the right location, doesn't interfere with the rudder pedals, and I can change my seating position to rest a foot on the bar while cruising. I feel that it was certainly worth it for me to install this product. Could of used this product years ago.

Thank you Allan,

Last edited:
Easy Exit Bar

?. We have completed the "Easy Exit Bars" for the fuel injected 6A,7A,9A
models, with the fuel pump mounted on the floor in front of the fuel selector.
The mew variation should provide ample clearance for these models. When
ordering from our website, there is now a selection for fuel injected or carburetor
models. After installing this new variation, please give us your opinions and
some feedback on the changes. We are very sorry for any inconvenience this
may have caused. Regards, Allan..:D

Fuel Inj. Model

?. Here is an image of the new FUEL INJECTION version, Easy Exit Bar Thanks, Allan..:D

Exit bar Revision

Thanks Allan. I wish all of our vendors were this quick with a needed improvement to their product.

Thanks Allan. I wish all of our vendors were this quick with a needed improvement to their product.

This is not an improvement, but rather a completely different product
specifically for the 6,7,&9 A models with fuel injection. The carbureted
aircraft still use the original units. Thanks, Allan..:D

-6/7/9 tail dragger??

Hey Allan, I'm sure you've already had a lot of request, but maybe you can design an easy exit bar for the -6/7/9 tail dragger? Just a thought, but maybe something that could be bolted to the spar cover plate/brackets??

Mark

Hey Allan, I'm sure you've already had a lot of request, but maybe you can design an easy exit bar for the -6/7/9 tail dragger? Just a thought, but maybe something that could be bolted to the spar cover plate/brackets??

Mark

...Yes! We have had several requests, and will try to get that done. It is on
the list, and Thank you for your input. Thanks, Allan

Christmas Present

I was apparently good this year (yeah, surprised me too!) because Santa brought me an Easy Exit bar for my fuel injected RV-7A. I got it installed today. I took the two nuts off the landing gear bolts (I didn't remove the bolts, just took off the nuts), put the bar on one side and loosely put one of the nuts back on. On the other side I had to force the bar to move about 1/4" to get it on the second bolt - but I didn't even have to cuss at it! I then put the second nut on and tightened it, and tightened the first nut. The entire operation took about as long as it did for me to type this message! Then I had to spend another 20 minutes getting the upholstery to fit and it was done. Seriously easy!

It really makes a difference getting out of the airplane. Too bad the weather as so bad or I would have tried it on a real flight. I am very happy!

Thanks Santa (and Allan).

easy exit

Installed mine in the 9A about a month ago..used it several times now.!
I like it alot..wished thought of it!
I have the nose job skid and stiffener, wheel bearing mod, gust lock, almost 14 mod, (which coupled with the extended slider rails from another is the BEST thing Ive done to this aircraft)
probably more I cant think of right now..great products all of them.
fast shipping and service..make that Lighting service! ASA is 5 star !
Thanks Allan!

I also wanted to plug this product. It's been installed for a couple months now and I use it every time entering and exiting the plane. My floor had a piece of aluminum angle stock screwed to it which was nice and kept the carpet in place, but this bar is a large improvement over that. I am 6' and 45 years old. Very nice, useful product and easy to install. It's one of those things that makes you happy about your purchase each time you use it. Thanks Anti Splat!

ANOTHER GREAT ANTI-SPLAT AERO PRODUCT

Hi all-
Just installed the exit bar in my 9A carbuerated model.
Installation was easy.
SO much easier getting in and out now.
Carpet stays put!
I have the FLIGHTLINE INTERIORS carpet with the covers over the gear weldments. Those weldment covers will go over the bar although there is a bit of a crease where it rests on the bar and may ultimately need to cut out a small half circle.

Great concept Allan!

Peter K
RV9A
700 hrs

Back