What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GDL 82 Installation

avi8tor50

Well Known Member
I am seriously considering going the GDL 82 route for ADS-B. I have a GTX 327 with a standard Rami pole transponsder antenna. I would be purchasing the version that comes with the built-in GPS, For those of you that have already performed installation of the GDL 82 I have several questions:

1. Will my current transponder antenna be sufficient?
2. Was the installation difficult?
3. Did you have to replace the original coax wire running from the transponder
to the transponder antenna?
4. Where did you end up mounting the GPS antenna?
5. When you constructed the wiring harness which pins did you include? My
understanding is that I would not need the RS232 pins since I have no
devices to connect them to. Did you do squat and/or anonymous?
6. Did you perform the pre-installation output test for your original
transponder as recommended in the Garmin installation manual? If so,
did you have to have an avionics tech do this?

Any comments, tips, suggestions would be very much appreciated. It would be really wonderful if someone who has done this or is contemplating doing the installation would be willing to post a video or pics of the process and perhaps include some text for a step by step installation for those of us that follow.

As always, thanks to everyone who responded.

Peter K
9A-700 hrs

I am seriously considering going the GDL 82 route for ADS-B. I have a GTX 327 with a standard Rami pole transponsder antenna. I would be purchasing the version that comes with the built-in GPS, For those of you that have already performed installation of the GDL 82 I have several questions:

1. Will my current transponder antenna be sufficient? Yes
2. Was the installation difficult? No
3. Did you have to replace the original coax wire running from the transponder to the transponder antenna? No
4. Where did you end up mounting the GPS antenna? Mine is sitting on the dash just under the windshield and in front of the center brace bar. Works great there.
devices to connect them to. Did you do squat and/or anonymous? Power, Ground, Anonymous switch, LED light. No squat switch.
transponder as recommended in the Garmin installation manual? If so, did you have to have an avionics tech do this? No

Any comments, tips, suggestions would be very much appreciated. It would be really wonderful if someone who has done this or is contemplating doing the installation would be willing to post a video or pics of the process and perhaps include some text for a step by step installation for those of us that follow.

As always, thanks to everyone who responded.

Peter K
9A-700 hrs
Answers to your questions in RED above. The installation is not difficult at all. You do need to insert some pins into a DSub connector. You do have to either build a coax cable or purchase one with the correct connectors. All of that is straight forward WITH the right tools. Difficult WITHOUT the right tools. Make sure the coax is the correct minimum length (6.5 ft in my case, it can be coiled up and zip tied somewhere hidden if needed). It is my opinion this is the easiest install of any of the ADS-B OUT units out there.

My installation is similar to Steve's except I mounted the GPS antenna to the fuselage top behind the tip up canopy and I did not wire up the optional LED. (It will be easy to do if I decide I want it later). I did do the frequency testing per the install manual.

Mine passed it's initial flight test and I have since requested two additional reports and they both came back fine. Its been flying about 2 months and has made at least 4 fairly long cross country trips.

All that said, a friend was talking to the avionics tech who does my transponder checks and when he found out I had successfully installed an 82 he got to questioning me about my ELT. I have an older AmeriKing AK-450 (Yes, the one with the AD). The avionics tech has been in contact with several other avionics shops and they are having trouble with the AK-450 + 82 installations and could hardly believe mine was working correctly when transmitting on the frequencies specified to be tested in the install manual. In fact they have never had an 82 pass these tests with and AK-450 in the plane. So, I stole the wife's laptop again and re-ran the tests specified, twice more following the manual very close. It still passed. I called the avionics guy back and he was finally convinced. I don't fully understand radio-ology, but apparently when the com transmits on frequencies near the GPS band, it can be picked up by the ELT antenna and somehow with the 450 it gets rebroadcast (probably the wrong terminology) in a manner that makes the 82 lose position which ATC frowns upon greatly. Perhaps Walt or Stein or Garmin has more info on this?

Anyway, something to consider for those installing in conjunction with an AK-450. Mine is working fine but apparently there are quite a few that aren't. I'm not sure what aircraft they were installing the 82's in that were giving them trouble. I'll likely upgrade to a new 406 ELT in the not too distant future.

Last edited:
GDL-82

1. Will my current transponder antenna be sufficient? Yes
2. Was the installation difficult? No
3. Did you have to replace the original coax wire running from the transponder to the
transponder antenna? No, Keep original RG58.
4. Where did you end up mounting the GPS antenna? Under the cowl.
devices to connect them to. Did you do squat
and/or anonymous? Kit comes with very small pins for high density
connector. I had to buy a new positioner for my Daniels crimping
tool. I installed anonymous switch and failure indicator.

transponder as recommended in the Garmin installation manual? If so,
did you have to have an avionics tech do this? No, No. but did check grounding with mili-ohm meter.

Installed in RV-4 with Garmin 327 xponder. FAA test had no problems. System works great.

GDL-82

''Installed in RV-4 with Garmin 327 xponder''

Kenneth,

Where about in your RV-4 did you install your GDL-82??

I'm planning to do the same in my -4 and wondering where I will mount the box as I running out of room ..

Thanks

Bruno
[email protected]
P.S: If you have photos it is even better..

From the GDL-82 Installation Manual:
If a VHF COM transmitter causes problems with the GPS on selected frequencies, as listed in the post-installation checkout, the problem may be due to the ELT. To verify, disconnect the ELT antenna coax at the ELT unit. If the ELT is causing the problem, contact the ELT manufacturer or replace the ELT.

ELT antenna location

, but apparently when the com transmits on frequencies near the GPS band, it can be picked up by the ELT antenna and somehow with the 450 it gets rebroadcast (probably the wrong terminology) in a manner that makes the 82 lose position which ATC frowns upon greatly. Perhaps Walt or Stein or Garmin has more info on this?
Joe
Is your ELT antenna in the tail like most of us?
Figs

I'm working on an GDL-82 in a Stinson. I am having a terrible time with VHF interference. It does have an AK-450 so I disconnected its antenna. I thought that should be enough. I wonder if a notch filter on these would help if they are the problem (and on other installs I've found the ELT is the difficulty on many).

Even with 3' spacing between VHF and GPS antenna I fail quickly when keying the emitter. I put a notch filter on the VHF antenna. KX-155.

I put an RG-400 6' extension cord on the GPS antenna so I could move it away from the aircraft. I need nearly 6' distance from the VHF antenna to get a pass.

The Stinson is big but I don't see how I can get separation like this.

Worst example of this I've ever seen. Others have caved easily.

BH

Last edited:
Stinson

I have sat in a Stinson, but never installed avionics in one.... so my input here might be useless.
I know from experience that we always consider horizontal separation when spacing antennas. But the vertical can help too.
Placing one antenna directly above the offending transmit antenna, if possible... gives some additional immunity. It is done with repeater sites when a duplexer is not available.

Joe
Is your ELT antenna in the tail like most of us?
Figs

Not anymore, Figs. I moved it inside the baggage compartment like Steve. That might also be a reason mine ELT isn't interfering? If you haven't run the tests in the install manual and have an AK-450 I'd run them. It's easy to do. Call me if you have questions...

Joe

From the GDL-82 Installation Manual:

Quote:
If a VHF COM transmitter causes problems with the GPS on selected frequencies, as listed in the post-installation checkout, the problem may be due to the ELT. To verify, disconnect the ELT antenna coax at the ELT unit. If the ELT is causing the problem, contact the ELT manufacturer or replace the ELT.

I read that and am wondering if the FAA was made aware of the problem with the AK-450 and investigated Ameri-King to see what was causing it and that's what prompted the AD?

Joe

For us fiberglass guys, does the case of the GDL-82 need to be "grounded" (negative side of the battery)?

The guy from the FBO had a Daniels crimper so he came over and crimped all the wires for my GDL-82 today. I say "all" but the white and green wires from the Garmin-supplied USB-B connector were too small to crimp. His crimper only went down to 24 AWG and these two were smaller than that. The red and black wires crimped just fine, but he had to solder these two. One would think that Garmin would have alerted us to that fact...

USB Pigtail Crimp Tool Settings

The guy from the FBO had a Daniels crimper so he came over and crimped all the wires for my GDL-82 today. I say "all" but the white and green wires from the Garmin-supplied USB-B connector were too small to crimp. His crimper only went down to 24 AWG and these two were smaller than that. The red and black wires crimped just fine, but he had to solder these two. One would think that Garmin would have alerted us to that fact...

Hello snopercod,

The fifteen 336-00021-00 (M39029/58-360) contact pins which come with the installation kit are size 22D.

Using a Daniels AFM8 crimp tool with a K42 positioner, use a setting of 3 for the 24 AWG Red and Black wires, and use a setting of 1 for the 28 AWG White, Green, and Drain wires.

Nothing to it.

Steve

Nothing to it.
Easy for you to say LOL! The crimper the FBO used was a Daniels, but not the AFM8. No matter, we got 'er done. I asked earlier on this thread if the case of the GDL 82 needed to be "grounded" on a fiberglass aircraft. I even called Garmin tech support and the tech really didn't know but thought not. He thought the case was "probably" connected to pin 14 "Aircraft Ground" internally. So should I tie the case to battery (-) or just leave it floating?

Easy for you to say LOL! The crimper the FBO used was a Daniels, but not the AFM8. No matter, we got 'er done. I asked earlier on this thread if the case of the GDL 82 needed to be "grounded" on a fiberglass aircraft. I even called Garmin tech support and the tech really didn't know but thought not. He thought the case was "probably" connected to pin 14 "Aircraft Ground" internally. So should I tie the case to battery (-) or just leave it floating?

Hello snopercod,

I don't have a GDL 82 to check, but if it is like our transponders and all of our G3X/G3X Touch system devices, the power ground is also connected to the chassis/case ground, so no additional connection is necessary.

You can do a quick check with a multi-meter between the case and power ground. If you find them isolated, I would run a ground to the case, otherwise you are good.

Thanks,
Steve

You can do a quick check with a multi-meter between the case and power ground. If you find them isolated, I would run a ground to the case, otherwise you are good.
I'll do that tomorrow after I insert the pins in the connector body and mate the connector. Thanks, Steve.

After rechecking the wiring, I inserted the pins into the connector body. The green wire to the USB-B socket broke off so I had to re-solder that one. I have to say I'm disappointed that Garmin chose to use a cheap Chinese USB connector in a $1795 product. Well, if it lasts long enough to get the unit programmed, I guess I can live with that.

The crimper we used was a Daniels AF8. As you can see, it only goes down to #26 AWG. That setting worked for the black and red wires, but not the green and white. I never got around to checking continuity to the case of the GDL-82.

ndFB0n.jpg

My own process is to insert the smaller wires with a 'filler' wire of 22 or 24, crimp and then trim off the filler wire.

My own process is to insert the smaller wires with a 'filler' wire of 22 or 24, crimp and then trim off the filler wire.
That would have worked. I wish I had thought of it. In searching around, it appears that the "standard" USB connector has two #26 for power and ground, and a twisted pair of #28 for signal wires.

Installation Complete

My installation is now complete, less programming and checkout. Since I don't own a laptop, I'll be hauling my desktop computer to the airport tomorrow. On the Garmin site, I found a number of helpful videos on this page. I'm unclear if I need to fly a "validation pattern" like people did to qualify for the rebate...or just go flying. Anybody?

Also, the instructions for checking the software in the GDL-82 instruct me to "Download the appropriate GDL 82 field-loadable file from flyGarmin.com." I'll be dipped if I can find that anywhere.

Edit: I finally found the FAA website where I can order a "Performance Report". https://adsbperformance.faa.gov/PAPRRequest.aspx
Using the above information, the tool will search through its inventory of past aircraft operations for a flight meeting the selections. If a flight with matching identification can be located on the requested date, a Public ADS-B Performance Report will be sent to the supplied email address. PAPR reports are typically delivered within 30 minutes.
Thirty minutes? That's impressive.

Last edited:
My installation is now complete, less programming and checkout. Since I don't own a laptop, I'll be hauling my desktop computer to the airport tomorrow. On the Garmin site, I found a number of helpful videos on this page. I'm unclear if I need to fly a "validation pattern" like people did to qualify for the rebate...or just go flying. Anybody?

Also, the instructions for checking the software in the GDL-82 instruct me to "Download the appropriate GDL 82 field-loadable file from flyGarmin.com." I'll be dipped if I can find that anywhere.

Edit: I finally found the FAA website where I can order a "Performance Report". https://adsbperformance.faa.gov/PAPRRequest.aspxThirty minutes? That's impressive.

You just need to get a performance report as you stated in your edit to verify it is in compliance.

So I went flying today with my new GDL 82, and was disappointed that my iPad/Stratus 2/Foreflight didn't display traffic that I knew was there. I was in Class C airspace and talking to Approach and so was the other aircraft. We were within 3,500' vertical of each other when Approach called him to me, but there was no traffic displayed on my screen. I got a performance report back from the FAA and they said my UAT had no errors. What gives? Is there something I need to set up in my Stratus?

So I went flying today with my new GDL 82, and was disappointed that my iPad/Stratus 2/Foreflight didn't display traffic that I knew was there. I was in Class C airspace and talking to Approach and so was the other aircraft. We were within 3,500' vertical of each other when Approach called him to me, but there was no traffic displayed on my screen. I got a performance report back from the FAA and they said my UAT had no errors. What gives? Is there something I need to set up in my Stratus?

Is your GDL-82 configured for In=Yes ? (actually it asks for UAT in and 1090ES in) I configure the unit with both yes

The ground stations will not send FIS-B packets unless the ADS-B out unit is indicating "IN" capability. It isn't a Stratus issue

Is your GDL-82 configured for In=Yes ?
Thaks for the response. Is this right? (I saved screen shots of every configuration screen):

Y41w4k.jpg

I'm thinking there may be a setting in my Stratus that I need to change . I don't have the Stratus 2 with me at the moment, but in looking at the manual (as a last resort ;) ), there's a setting "Traffic Update 978/UAT" which defaults to "None".

I don't know the standard altitude difference that Foreflight displays by default, but I think 3,500' above or below will not show. If you open the settings list on the map page in Foreflight, you can toggle the "show distant traffic" and it will show everything. I think it was just filtered out because 3,500' is a long way apart in altitude. I don't think I ever see a +35 or -35 in the standard setup.

Jesse--

I have "Hide Distant Traffic" on, which excludes traffic greater then +/- 3,500' and greater then 15 NM. That's the way I want it. The traffic that didn't show was less then five miles away and less then 1,000' below so it "should" have shown. I went back to the airport today and pulled my plane out of the hangar so it could acquire the satellites. With the GDL 82 on and the Stratus and iPad on, I could see traffic taxiing for takeoff. (Ground traffic shows in brown in Foreflight.) Then I watched the guy take off, so I thought it was all working. Imagine my dismay when a jet flew down the ILS and landed, but didn't show on my iPad. Soon after, another jet took off and didn't show on my iPad. Here's the Stratus Setup screen, which looks OK to me. (The TIS-B comes from the ADS-B ground stations and was last updated when I was in the air yesterday):

iCv0ED.png

I'm starting to get a clue here. The three confirmed aircraft that my system couldn't "see" were all aircraft with the capability to fly above 18,000'. In other words, they had 1090ES Mhz transponders while I now have a 978 Mhz UAT which is only legal below 18,000'. So I'm thinking that there is no direct air-to-air compatibility between the two of us. Without the TIS-B signal that I receive from ground stations while in the air, I won't be able to see pressurized aircraft directly. I'm thinking I've been sold a bill of goods here, but hey, I'm "2020 compliant" :rolleyes:

Last edited:
EDIT: Your Stratus is a dual freq receiver (978/1090) so you should see all traffic directly, if they have ADSB out.

You should see all traffic from ground stations, unless that traffic does not have a functioning transponder, and your OUT signal triggers the broadcast.

My aircraft has 1090 out via Dynon's 261 transponder but I could see my friend in his -6 with no ADS-B out and a mode C transponder while flying a very loose formation. My IN box is still 978 only (haven't yet upgraded to the Dynon 472) so I also do not see 1090 traffic directly.

Had we been flying in an area with no ground stations, I would not have seen my friend on screen.

Last edited:
EDIT: Your Stratus is a dual freq receiver (978/1090) so you should see all traffic directly, if they have ADSB out.
Maybe that was the problem - Those three planes didn't have "out". I had it in my head though that if an aircraft was being painted by radar (regardless of transponder) and I was receiving TIS-B from a ground station, that he would show up on my screen. The two jets I can understand, but I'm still scratching my head over the Baron.

I stand corrected. The Stratus 2S is dual band. The one you have (1), according to their website, is 978 only.

Keep in mind, too, that TIS-B is not the same as ADS-B. It is part of the ground station broadcast. Here is a quote from Garmin's website on the topic:

"With TIS-B, ATC radar information is collected on the ground and then ADS-B ground stations uplink this information to equipped aircraft with an ADS-B “In” receiver capable of receiving ADS-B data on 1090MHz."

Source: https://www.garmin.com/us/intheair/ads-b/seven-questions

Last edited:
Nah, I have the Stratus 2 - dual band. I probably left the "2" off in some of my posts. I'm going to keep investigating until I understand this setup.

Nah, I have the Stratus 2 - dual band. I probably left the "2" off in some of my posts. I'm going to keep investigating until I understand this setup.

When you experienced these "non shown" aircraft, was your stratus seeing ADS-B ground transceiver stations? The far right light on the stratus that is labeled "ADS-B" If it is orange, you have one GBT, and if it is green, the stratus is seeing multiple GBTs. If those airplanes were transponder only, then you must be in range of a GBT to receive the ADS-R transmissions.
(ADS-R being the rebroadcast of traffic information of airplanes on the other platform (1090ES vs UAT) or RADAR only targets)

When you experienced these "non shown" aircraft, was your stratus seeing ADS-B ground transceiver stations?
In he case of the Baron, yes. I was airborne. In the case of the two jets, I don't think so. I was on the ground then, ten miles away from a ground station. I'll keep investigating.

I'm still disappointed. I had just departed GMU today and was climbing through 2,500' when tower called a "fast mover" 500' below and heading right for me. He asked me to climb, and I did. Whatever it was DID NOT show on my ADS-B (in) screen. My "number of towers" was showing "marginal" at the time because I was 25 NM away from the nearest tower and there was a mountain range in between. The "fast mover" passed right under me less than a minute after the call. I never saw anything so maybe it was a stealth aircraft (grin). I'll be looking forward to installing the external ADS-B antenna on my Stratus to see if it makes any difference

I have a GDL-82 configuration question and I can't seem to find anything on the Garmin website. There are two buttons on the System Configuration page to set whether your system is "1090ES Receive Capable" and/or "UAT Receive Capable". Apparently those two settings tell the system what frequency to send the ADS-Rebroadcast information on back to your aircraft. I set both of those to "Capable" since I have a Stratus 2 which has a dual band receiver. Here's how mine is set and it seems to work:

Y41w4k.jpg

But then I read in this ADS-B Primer that:
If the aircraft has dual receive capability no ADS-R service will be provided to that aircraft.
I sure wish Garmin had provided more information on those settings.

I have a GDL-82 configuration question and I can't seem to find anything on the Garmin website. There are two buttons on the System Configuration page to set whether your system is "1090ES Receive Capable" and/or "UAT Receive Capable". Apparently those two settings tell the system what frequency to send the ADS-Rebroadcast information on back to your aircraft. I set both of those to "Capable" since I have a Stratus 2 which has a dual band receiver. Here's how mine is set and it seems to work:

Y41w4k.jpg

But then I read in this ADS-B Primer that:
I sure wish Garmin had provided more information on those settings.

Hello John,

It is quite simple. If you have a dual frequency ADS-B receiver, set both to Capable as you have.

ADS-R is only needed (and provided) to aircraft using a single frequency ADS-B receiver which cannot directly "see" both types of ADS-B Out aircraft air-to-air without assistance from ground stations.

All of Garmin's ADS-B receivers are dual frequency, and thus owners of this equipment couldn't care less about ADS-R because they are already capable of directly receiving both types of air-to-air ADS-B Out without any assistance from ground stations. Note that ADS-R is a re-broadcast of ADS-B Out transmissions on a different frequency and has absolutely nothing to do with TIS-B.

The other reason for these settings is to tell the ground stations which frequencies are available for them to provide you with TIS-B traffic (Mode C aircraft without ADS-B Out) in your area. Since you have a dual frequency ADS-B receiver, you can receive TiS-B services over either frequency, and you tell the ground stations that with every ADS-B Out transmission.

When you look at your FAA provided ADS-B Performance Report for your flight, one of the fields is "TIS-B Client %". This tells you what percentage of the time your aircraft was considered a TIS-B client and receiving TIS-B uplink services. This number should be close to 100% in most areas of the country. Note that you must be in radar contact and your ADS-B Out transmissions must be "heard" by one or more ground stations to be a TIS-B Client. For this reason, you will not typically "see" TIS-B aircraft when on the ground or when low enough to not be in radar contact or not be seen by one or more ground stations.

Steve

Thanks for that helpful information, Steve. As you probably noticed, I have a Stratus 2, not a Garmin GDL 39. I'm glad to know I have the GDL-82 configured properly after all. I looked at my last three performance reports and the TIS-B Client percentage was from 20% to 52%. I was in radar contact (almost) the entire time. The problem in our area is that there is only one low-tier ground station (Hendersonville, NC) which is surrounded by mountains. Many times my ADS-B signal strength shows "Marginal" in ForeFlight. I hope to improve that with the external antenna that I ordered for my Stratus. I'm beginning to realize that the traffic that I haven't been able to "see" when out of range of a ground station is not (out) equipped. I'm learning a lot. Thanks again!

P.S. Is there any way to decode all the mysterious acronyms (NIC NACp NACv SIL SDA) on the FAA Performance Report?

FAR 91.227 decodes some of them.
Oh thanks.
Navigation Integrity Category (NIC) specifies an integrity containment radius around an aircraft's reported position, as defined in TSO-C166b and TSO-C154c.

Position Source refers to the equipment installed onboard an aircraft used to process and provide aircraft position (for example, latitude, longitude, and velocity) information.

Source Integrity Level (SIL) indicates the probability of the reported horizontal position exceeding the containment radius defined by the NIC on a per sample or per hour basis, as defined in TSO-C166b and TSO-C154c.

System Design Assurance (SDA) indicates the probability of an aircraft malfunction causing false or misleading information to be transmitted, as defined in TSO-C166b and TSO-C154c.
On all my flights, my NIC was 9.0, NACp was 10.0, NACv was 2.0, SIL was 3.0, and SDA was 2.0. From reading Advisory Circular AC 20-165, which has better definitions of those terms, all of those numbers seem to set at the factory and never change. So I guess all I need to worry about is why my TIS-B Client Percentage is so low.

Last edited:
GPS signal loss with COM transmit and solution

Not sure if this has been addressed elsewhere, but just in case - here is the reason for the GPS signal loss with some COM transmission frequencies, and what you can do about it. It was noted in this thread as a problem with AK-450 ELTs in particular, but can occur with other ELTs as well.

When you COM transmit, the signal is received by the ELT antenna. The transmit output section of an ELT invariably has some non-linear characteristics resulting from the semiconductor components of the output stage. This non-linearity will create odd harmonic components of the received signal, and re-transmit them passively. It just so happens that the odd harmonics (multiples) of several COM frequencies fall right into the GPS band, and since GPS signals are so weak, a fairly low level signal like this can interfere. The particular frequencies are listed in the GPS installation test section. This happens only with the ELT because of it's specific operating frequency and antenna.

A very simple fix is a GPS frequency 1575.42MHz trap filter put in series with the ELT output, right at the ELT. These are available for purchase, or you can make one for yourself with a simple BNC T connector for very low cost. Two sides of the connector are to the ELT and antenna, and the third has a short coax open stub, which acts as the trap/filter. This can be made with the help of a spectrum analyzer with a tracking generator where you progressively cut the stub until the filter notch is at 1575MHz. The length is quite short, and approaching the finish length will involve filing or grinding, rather than just snipping. If there is any interest, I can supply a picture of mine.

Reinhard Metz

GDL 82 in RV-8

Bruno,
Here is a link to photos of install.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/IyAbQXVxt06qTzm93

Hope this works.
Ken

Hi, looked at your pictures of install on RV-4. Looks like you installed the GDL 82 by your avionics and radio stack.
Did this present any interference problems with radios or Avionics? I presented this question to Garmin and they advised against it.
I?m installing a GDL 82 in an RV-8 and it would be a lot easier an installation if I could mount it close to radio stack and Dynon D180.
Thoughts
Thank you
Richard

Back