What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV8 Angle of Incidence?

Pman

Wondering if any RV8 builders have increased the angle of incidence on their wings to accommodate the 5/16" drilled hole and insure 5/8" edge distance on the rear spar (W-707 and F-806).?

After measuring (per the plans) the correct angle of incidence, maintaining proper 5/8" edge distance leaves no room for any slight error for the required 5/16" drilled hole.

However, if I position the aft wing spars "lower", I can assure the proper edge distance is satisfied. But, doing so will result in increasing the incidence +4/10ths of a degree more than the planned +1/2 degree angle of incidence....., this will result in a +9/10ths angle of incidence on both wings. **I understand the importance of symmetry, ensuring both wings have the "same incidence"......**

Curious if anyone else has experience with the above? If so, have you noticed any undesirable flight characteristics with an increased angle of incidence??

Thanks in advance for your replies,

Mike Perillo

Last edited:
After 10 builds of my own and at least 15 other rear spars that I've drilled, I now just line up the stub with the bottom of the fork and drill in the middle. Done numerous first flights on these planes and they all fly the same. The elevator counterbalances are "faired" at cruise speed.

My 2 cents!

Thanks Jon for the reply....., your response is exactly what I plan to do..., line up the bottoms of the wing spar with the fuselage bracket and drill.
Good to learn you have done the same and have had no undesirable flight characteristic.

Cheers,

Mike

Back