What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV8A converstion

Capt

Well Known Member
Question for 8 owners.
Seeing as I have been unable to secure a 4 that I like am now looking at going to an 8. I only want a conventional U/C but I notice a lot of A's around. Question: Is converting an 8A to conventional U/C a big task?

Thanks guys.

What Ron said...

Totally agree with Ron.

I think going from an 8 to an 8A would be easier, but 8A to 8 would require a lot of work just under the panel, adding the gear towers. I can't imagine how much fun that would be. :eek:

Ditto:

You bet, Ron is right on the money. We built an "A" model and I would say the same. I would not want to go the other way even though I know I can. The attraction to a tail wheel model is well know and the looks are much more sporty, this is all true, but. I have good friends that have built the same airplane with the wheel om the back end instead of the front end and we all like them both the same when they are in the air. The performance is so close you don't know witch one has the wheel on which end tell you flair and the tail goes down or it does not. You can't go wrong either way, it all boils down to wow factor. Hope this helps, Yours, R.E.A. III #80888
P.S. Keep that red dust turning over and you will find the one you like.

Last edited:
Thanks Guys, that settles that I guess:) You've saved me a lot of heartache by the sounds of things.
Back to the drawing board:-(

Back