VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

  #41  
Old 02-26-2018, 05:52 PM
Jim T Jim T is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Independence, OR
Posts: 220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal-san View Post
Received my kit today. There are no barrel clips in my kit.
If you haven't already......look closely in all the rivet bags. Mine were in there along with a couple of cotter keys.

Jim
__________________
RV-12 kit no.: 120647
Working on finish kit
http://www.mykitlog.com/JimT

2006 Rans S-6S Coyote (flying)
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 02-26-2018, 06:09 PM
Hal-san Hal-san is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Benton City, WA
Posts: 200
Default

No, they are not in my kit and they are not on the inventory sheet. My kit was shipped on the 20th so they not have been including them at that time. I have several spares that I ordered during my build so it is not a problem.

Hal
__________________
Harold Irvine
N912HM RV-12 Flying.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 02-26-2018, 09:06 PM
RFSchaller RFSchaller is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,509
Default

Iím just starting the mod. A couple of things I noted:

1. I only loosened one control cable turnbuckle which I hope will allow me to reconnect with only having to wrestle in one set of turnbuckle clips.

2. When the paint shop painted my plane the heavy coat on the bolt and nut heads makes them not accept sockets or open end wrenches of the correct size, and the coat on the spar interferes with the doubler plate fit, so I will be investing in some paint stripper before I can disassemble and install the plates.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 02-27-2018, 11:42 AM
AirHound AirHound is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: OFallon IL now, everywhere before
Posts: 311
Default

Hey Rich, why not disconnect at the HS horns and tie them together to keep them from slipping into the fuselage rather than messing with the clips? Iím in the reading/planning/? Phase.
__________________
Doug
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 02-27-2018, 04:12 PM
Phantom30's Avatar
Phantom30 Phantom30 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Coeur d'Alene, ID/Casa Grande, AZ
Posts: 654
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHound View Post
Hey Rich, why not disconnect at the HS horns and tie them together to keep them from slipping into the fuselage rather than messing with the clips? Iím in the reading/planning/? Phase.
They are pretty near impossible to remove @ HS horns if you do not loosen at least one turn-buckle. This would likewise be a problem during reassembly.
__________________
Ric Dickison
307 (CAB) Phantom
Search and Destroy (Can
Tho RVN)
Distinguished Flying Cross Society Member
CH-47 & UH-1H "Driver"
Rotax 9 Series Service IRMT

RV-12 Kit#729 "N312RD" is now a full functioning fun machine!! Thanks Van for fulfilling my dream😎
2018 Dues Paid
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 02-27-2018, 04:27 PM
joedallas's Avatar
joedallas joedallas is offline
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Spring Hill Fl
Posts: 723
Default Longer Cable Adjustment

Yes on the reinstall.
I believe the cable adjustment needs to be a little longer due to the spacer behind the hinge moves the Stabilator back a little ?

Your RV12 is now a little longer.
Unless Vans moved the bolt for the hinge back to adjust for the spacer.
Joe Dallas



Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom30 View Post
They are pretty near impossible to remove @ HS horns if you do not loosen at least one turn-buckle. This would likewise be a problem during reassembly.
__________________
Joe Dallas
Kit-#12400
www.joesrv12.com
www.EAA1298.com

Last edited by joedallas : 02-27-2018 at 04:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 02-27-2018, 05:25 PM
rvbuilder2002 rvbuilder2002 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hubbard Oregon
Posts: 8,286
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedallas View Post
Yes on the reinstall.
I believe the cable adjustment needs to be a little longer due to the spacer behind the hinge moves the Stabilator back a little ?

Your RV12 is now a little longer.
Unless Vans moved the bolt for the hinge back to adjust for the spacer.
Joe Dallas
They did move it!
__________________
Any opinions expressed in this message are my own and not necessarily those of my employer.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 02-28-2018, 05:38 AM
AirHound AirHound is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: OFallon IL now, everywhere before
Posts: 311
Default

Approx How many turns/how much movement is needed, would you guess?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom30 View Post
They are pretty near impossible to remove @ HS horns if you do not loosen at least one turn-buckle. This would likewise be a problem during reassembly.
__________________
Doug
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 02-28-2018, 05:45 AM
Bob Y Bob Y is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Piedmont, SC
Posts: 75
Default SB 18-02-02 & Paint vs. Vinyl Wrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFSchaller View Post
Iím just starting the mod. A couple of things I noted:

1. I only loosened one control cable turnbuckle which I hope will allow me to reconnect with only having to wrestle in one set of turnbuckle clips.

2. When the paint shop painted my plane the heavy coat on the bolt and nut heads makes them not accept sockets or open end wrenches of the correct size, and the coat on the spar interferes with the doubler plate fit, so I will be investing in some paint stripper before I can disassemble and install the plates.
I am barely into my empennage kit, so painting is way off on the project list, but this SB caused me to bring-up a discussion with my friend, whoís much further along on his RV-12. This SB brought to my mind the subject of vinyl wrapping vs. paintÖ Love the claimed benefits of vinyl Ė lower cost, shorter down time, less weight. Regarding this SB and Mr. Schallerís comment concerning paint over the bolt heads making removal difficult, seems this would be another plus for vinyl. HoweverÖ how does one detect a surface crack and stop drill it before it becomes a real issue with vinyl? And how would one remove a skin with vinyl? This seems to be a key negative Iíve not seen addressed. Anyone have experience here that can help to alleviate this perceived negative of vinyl wrapping?
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 02-28-2018, 04:03 PM
bob1393 bob1393 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Port Orchard, Wa
Posts: 84
Default installing SB 18-02-02

I received the SB kit today. There were no barrel clips in any of the bags and they are not listed on the parts sheet.

Also - the two K-1000 nut plates were missing as well as the 2 cotter pins.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:02 AM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.