VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-08-2013, 02:02 PM

I plan to match drill a light gauge straight angle. Then cleco the first skin with tape applied to the angle. Then add/cleco the VA-140 vee with tape already applied to the opposite side, then add the last skin. Having said all that, I haven't read the manual for the procedure using the tape so if Van's has a plan I'll follow that.
Ordered tape from Digikey today.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:38 PM

Mine was an early 9a kit. It did not recommend using any adhesive when assembling the trailing edges. I did all the elevators, rudder, flaps and ailerons without any pro seal or tape. It was not difficult. They are straight and true. I cannot imagine using pro seal and the mess it creates for this task. Seems like if you just used it with the pressure of the clecos and allowed it to set up before riveting that the joints would not be as tight. Riveting certainly pulls the metal tighter than clecos.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSOliveira View Post
Mine was an early 9a kit. It did not recommend using any adhesive when assembling the trailing edges. I did all the elevators, rudder, flaps and ailerons without any pro seal or tape. It was not difficult. They are straight and true. I cannot imagine using pro seal and the mess it creates for this task. Seems like if you just used it with the pressure of the clecos and allowed it to set up before riveting that the joints would not be as tight. Riveting certainly pulls the metal tighter than clecos.
John, it seems to be a common thread with RV building.

One builder does a task and it comes out looking beautiful, and another builder using the same parts and instructions can't get it to look good after even three try's.

All of the early prototype airplanes were built using no adhesive, so that is what went into the manual. After a while it was obvious that a certain % of builders had a hard time, so bonding first was added to the process, to help them get a better finish quality.