VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-07-2013, 12:10 AM

Marc,

I have been flying a -9 for over two years now. I didn't heed the warning of building light and have a full interior and lots of paint. Therefore my -9 is pretty heavy. I'm about 190# and flew with a friend that was about the same size from the West Coast to Oshkosh in 2011. We were limited to 15# of baggage each. Not much for a week-long trip. I won't admit it, but it's possible we could have been over a little with full fuel if we got souvenirs there. With guys of our size we were pretty much shoulder to shoulder the entire trip.

I have been fortunate enough to have Joe Blank give me a ride in the -14. I was very impressed with the room in that airplane in comparison. I also really liked the stick placement. The stick is ahead of the spar and bends back. In the -9 it's behind the spar and between your legs. If I take a larger guy for a flight in the -9 I end up hitting them in the gut or hit the round Crow seatbelt release with full aft elevator on roll out. Or if it's a guy that has stumps for legs I can't get full side to side travel on the stick. Not that you need that much travel in a -9, but if their leg moves a little to one side then it's not the best. I've considered removing the passenger stick for those reasons.

The -14 also seemed to be more responsive than the -9. I heard it might feel heavier but I didn't think so. I've never flown a -7 or -8 so maybe it would feel heavier than them. I'd think it would be a good performance increase over the -9 but I'm not an expert on that. I was pretty impressed with it.

There are plenty of other great benefits to the -14 but these top my list. I love my -9 but I'm looking forward to the -14. Plus I just wanted to build another RV. Over a Piper or a Cessna you can't go wrong with any RV model. Thatís especially true when it comes to the annual inspection maintenance list and costs for a certified airplane.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:14 AM

Hi group,

Will smaller engine options be sanctioned by VANs for the 14?

Thanks
Old 02-17-2013, 12:07 PM

Question Other Engines!

The RV14 Kit is in its infancy. The wing kit was released for sale in October of 2012. Each other sub kit will be released over the next 18 months. Right now the only engine Sanctioned by Vans is the Lycoming 390.
1020 Hours as of 9/30/2017
Johnrv12@icloud.com
RV14 Wing, arrived and building at Rdog's new Hanger at 16X
S/N 140014

Last edited by Jetguy : 02-17-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:23 PM

Default RV-14

I was lucky enough to get a demo ride in the new RV-14 about 2 months ago at KCCR. I had only been in a RV-6 before that eight years ago.
I was really impressed with it (the 14). I have been dreaming of it ever since.
My concern is the availability of 100LL in a few years, about the time I would probably finnish the 14 if I do in fact start one.
The 100LL issue does have me a little worried. Any comments??
Old 02-19-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRE911 View Post
I was lucky enough to get a demo ride in the new RV-14 about 2 months ago at KCCR. I had only been in a RV-6 before that eight years ago.
I was really impressed with it (the 14). I have been dreaming of it ever since.
My concern is the availability of 100LL in a few years, about the time I would probably finnish the 14 if I do in fact start one.
The 100LL issue does have me a little worried. Any comments??
This topic has been discussed in great depth in pretty much all of the main stream aviation publications.

The likelihood of 100LL going away with nothing to take its place is extremely remote. This happening would cripple general aviation in the U.S as we know it.
Pretty much all flight training would come to a stop (rotor and fixed wing). Nearly all smaller size charter and cargo business would stop. A lot of aerial survey and photograph activity would stop. A large percentage of personal aircraft would be grounded...etc., etc.

The primary concern shouldn't be whether an alternate fuel is available, it should be "will any of us be able to afford it".
Even that issue will not stop those who really have a passion to fly there RV. A large percentage of engines powering RV's today could use 91UL auto fuel if needed (and many already do). Those that can't, could pretty easily be modified to do so. That is one of the benefits to us not having to use a certificated engine meeting the requirements of a type certificate.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:09 AM

Rich,
Welcome to VAF!
RV-14A #140026
Wings 70%. Started on the Emp.
www.KCandAshleyBerner.com
Happy to be a 2016 =VAF= contributor
Old 02-22-2013, 09:10 AM

Thanks. Looking forward to building a RV 14. Haven't ordered wings yet.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:48 AM

For those interested, I've put side by side numbers from the 7, 9 and 14 in a table. I wanted to compare mostly the range and payload for these airframe in order to make a thoughtful decision on the model to build. Interestingly, the 14 is quite good in terms of fuel consumption as opposed to the 7. Besides, the 14 is definitely a winner when speaking of payload. See for yourself.
S/N #140070
50% airframe done
C-FOOT (reserved)
2018 due paid
http://www.mykitlog.com/Debovsky/

" Resistance, is futile "
Old 02-23-2013, 10:57 AM

Default Great chart!

Your chart is great. The one item I wish I could see is glide performance for a similarly equipped airplane. We all know the the airframe of the -9 glides better than the -7, but what about the -14?
Old 02-23-2013, 11:21 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TThurston View Post
Your chart is great. The one item I wish I could see is glide performance for a similarly equipped airplane. We all know the the airframe of the -9 glides better than the -7, but what about the -14?
I don't have numbers, but in my experience I can tell you that the -14 glides much more like a -9 than it does like a -7.
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com