VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-22-2012, 12:25 PM

Default RV-14 diesel ?

Thanks ahead of time for your replies. After reading about the FADEC Diesel powered Skylane, I wondered if the "Standardization" of the RV-14 kit would prevent the use of a diesel ( like the Safran SR305-230E ) engine ? I'm also ignorant (first time builder) of how that would affect the wiring harness, cowl shape and 4 into 1 exhaust system. Any idea if this would be feasible ?
Old 09-22-2012, 12:53 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by descro View Post
Thanks ahead of time for your replies. After reading about the FADEC Diesel powered Skylane, I wondered if the "Standardization" of the RV-14 kit would prevent the use of a diesel ( like the Safran SR305-230E ) engine ? I'm also ignorant (first time builder) of how that would affect the wiring harness, cowl shape and 4 into 1 exhaust system. Any idea if this would be feasible ?
I think the first thing I would check is weight - anytime you talk about an engine change, you need first to see if the weight and balance will work out. In the case of the RV-14, I know that Van's is concerned with folks wanting to put the parallel Valve O-360's on, instead of the Angle Valve IO-360/390 because the parallel valve engines are 40 lbs lighter. I'd see where the diesel lies in comparison to the angle valve engines.

After that, you could worry about wiring harnesses, engine mounts, cooling, prop control, etc, etc.... Yes, you can customize a -14, but you'll be working on your own (as with many homebuilts).

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 09-22-2012, 02:13 PM

Here in France the club where I hangar my RV bought a 182 retrofitted with the SMA diesel which was developed in France. This is the same engine which is being fitted to the new 182s offered by Cessna. I have looked at the engine and it is not suitable for an RV. The main reason it is water cooled and turbo charged. This means it has two large radiators to cool the liquid and air from the turbocharger. Due to the size of the engine and radiators it would never fit in an RV14. The club had quite a few problems associated with the engine and were glad to get rid of the plane. One of the issues seemed to be associated with the large MT propeller which had the bearings break down on several occasions probably due to the diesel engine knocking. There were also issues that above a certain altitude it was not possible to restart the engine in case it stopped due to fuel starvation in flight.

Barry RV6A F-PRVM
Old 09-22-2012, 07:24 PM

Check out the price, weight, size and in service reliability of the SMA. I think you'll see that the standard Lycoming fits the bill a lot better.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 424.4 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi.htm

Old 09-26-2012, 07:59 AM

I can also tell you that Safran will never sell you this engine. They are not interesting in Amateur build. They just want to have the big companies. One of my best friend is in the team that design the engine and I have already ask him.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
I think the first thing I would check is weight - anytime you talk about an engine change, you need first to see if the weight and balance will work out. In the case of the RV-14, I know that Van's is concerned with folks wanting to put the parallel Valve O-360's on, instead of the Angle Valve IO-360/390 because the parallel valve engines are 40 lbs lighter. I'd see where the diesel lies in comparison to the angle valve engines.

Paul
Paul, sounds like the start of a beautiful long-nosed -14 a la 'corsair'
seriously, totally new FWF, but how far would you have to move 40 lbs.????
a couple batteries on the firewall would help eh?
Lake Country, BC

....paid up til Nov. 2018
Old 10-18-2012, 04:33 PM

Default 409

Seems like the -14 begs for a 409. 20 more horsepower than a 390 and 25 fewer pounds. Who's gonna be first?
Old 10-18-2012, 05:32 PM

Default Hmmm

I am sold on the -14, but I certainly am not against a different engine. My concern would mostly be support, 1600vs 2000 TBO, is it suitably strong for aerobatics, and the compression at that HP rating is 10.5:1 I think. More cubes = more fuel, if compression is that high, how does that effect LOP ops, etc.

If these questions are answered for me satisfactorily, I may do it.
RV-14 #140050 SOLD

Permanently willing to contribute fuel for RV rides

Helicopter ATP/CFI(I)
ASEL/AMEL Commercial/Inst/CFI(I)
Aerobatic Instruction available

Atlanta based.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:21 PM

Default Waiting...

for the first builder to slap a TP 100 to the front end of a -14.

Output shaft power 180 kW 140 kW
Weight (dry) 55 kg
Engine length 870 mm 843 mm
Width x Depth (without exhaust) 330 x 382 mm 390 x 330 mm
Reducer speed ratio 20.751 : 1
Fuel JET A, A1, B, TS-1, T2, RT
Oil MIL-L-23699
Engine ceiling of operation 9000 m 6000 m
Engine ceiling for starting 6000 m 4000 m
Old 10-20-2012, 06:36 AM

Default I like the thought of the diesel

On a 14, however it would be some time before the diesels become refined enough for me to install one. If I were building a 14, I would look at the possibility of installing a Continental IO 360, possibly turbonormalized.

Randy
8A