Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 02:48 PM

Anyone start wiring yet? The hole at the wingtips for the five pin connector seems too long. The connector just falls out. I'll have to make a plate with the correct size hole and rivet it to the connector mount bracket.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetguy View Post
The current revision doesn't say anything about sect 16.
Understandable, since I don't think anyone up to this point has reported any errors or difficulty understanding anything in section 16

Quote:
Page 16-4, Step 3, the highlighted (Will from this point forward be refered to HL) in yellow Part #T1005B should be Part #T1005C. Note the nut plates HL in blue, at this point in the plans it doesn't say weather we should dimple or CS (Machine Countersink) these holes. There are 5 holes.
Because it mentions it on page 16-8 under Step 4.

Quote:
However on page 16-8 under Step 4 it says,"CS the 5 screw holes in the T00006L......... Deductive Reasoning (will be DR from this point forward) 101, I guess that means these holes.
No deductive reasoning needed here... It says five screw holes. The only other screw holes on the T-00006-L have already been dimple countersunk, so there isn't really any other choices to confuse them with.

Quote:
Page 16-5 Figure 1, Note the rivets HL in green. It says Do Not Dimple. Move forward to page 16-8 Step 4 see it below.

We apply DR it would seem we should CS these holes after attaching the skin via proseal but this one is still a bit confusing. Maybe some one could clarify this for me, perhaps a RV10 builder?
Page 16-5 below note the 2 red arrows. What rivets go there and do we dimple or CS?
I believe earlier in the plans when it had you machine countersink the row of holes that attach the baffle it said to leave some of them (every 12th hole?) un-countersunk. That is so that there is some un-countersunk holes to help better align the baffle when it is final installed. After riveting, you countersink the remainder of the holes and install rivets.

Regarding your question related to the red arrows, my deductive reasoning can't figure out what you are asking. It says do not dimple! I will research when I have some plans to look at.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:46 PM

Question

Quote:
I believe earlier in the plans when it had you machine countersink the row of holes that attach the baffle it said to leave some of them (every 12th hole?) un-countersunk. That is so that there is some un-countersunk holes to help better align the baffle when it is final installed. After riveting, you countersink the remainder of the holes and install rivets.
When you get a set of plans in you hands please tell me the page and step # where it says to do this? I cant seem to find that Step.
In regards to the red arrow holes, jee I thought I was pretty clear with my question. I'll try again, will there ever be anything in these holes or will they remain open forever.
Thanks for the other answers.
1020 Hours as of 9/30/2017
Johnrv12@icloud.com
RV14 Wing, arrived and building at Rdog's new Hanger at 16X
S/N 140014
Old 02-16-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
When you get a set of plans in you hands please tell me the page and step # where it says to do this? I cant seem to find that Step.
In regards to the red arrow holes, jee I thought I was pretty clear with my question. I'll try again, will there ever be anything in these holes or will they remain open forever.
Thanks for the other answers.
John, I am just trying to help... I realize things can be mis-taken when written in words, but it seems like you are coming across with a bit of sarcasm?

I was stating what the intent is, I can not say whether that is actually what it says (I will look into it next week).

As for the other question... you asked "What rivets go there and do we dimple or CS?" The plans specifically say "do not dimple". That was the reason for me not understanding your question.

If you look at later pages, I think you will see that these holes with the red arrows rivet the T-00006 to the tank skin
Old 02-16-2013, 09:13 PM

Thumbs up After further review..........

Well after further investigation you were right. On Page 16-3 Step 6 it does say to CS all those holes HL in green. Furthermore I now under stand about the holes with the red arrows next to them. They will be CS in Step 4 on page 16-8 for #8 screws. So that answers all my questions for now. I think my problem is that I'm trying to read ahead without having the parts in my hand which at times can be quite confusing. See the hole from a different angle in this pic HL in yellow, yes thats the one next to the RED ARROW,
1020 Hours as of 9/30/2017
Johnrv12@icloud.com
RV14 Wing, arrived and building at Rdog's new Hanger at 16X
S/N 140014

Last edited by Jetguy : 02-17-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Well after further investigation you were right. On Page 16-3 Step 6 it does say to CS all those holes HL in green.
I finally got a chance to look at this in more detail, so wanted to clarify.

In step 6 it does say to machine C.S. all the tank baffle flange holes , but in the notes prior to that step, it recommends that every 10th hole be left un countersunk for now, so that during final assy, there can be clecos baring on full holes in the skin and baffle, aiding in alignment and preventing damage to an otherwise countersunk hole.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:36 AM

John,

Thanks for pointing this stuff out. I agree, it seems a bit confusing.