What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HS-702 notch edge distance

DRitz

I'm New Here
VAF,

While slowly cruising along on the horizontal stabilizer spar preparation, I believe I'm about to run into an issue. I previously cleco'd together the HS-702 spars, HS-00003 spar doublers, and the HS-810/814 angles and drilled all holes inboard of the 6 degree bend line. The HS-00003 was already pre-drilled so it took all the guess work out of hole placement (or so I thought). My next step is to make the relief notches in the HS-702 spars. However, once I make the 1/4 inch holes, the edge distance minimums will be broke. I will only have between .174 to .230 inches on the closest 4 rivet holes if I proceed. Has anyone seen this before and have any advice? Thanks in advance!

Dustin

(3rd time poster but 1st time picture attempt. Fingers crossed it works)

o9QufLaSTVZuEBZJOoBgXXZZ9yUsbQ08UpOmghp551VC9wvDmhWEAwdzPUpUkt718rCQhOUw1BFmCFgYhqlSOunlxxS42fT0X5YObPgmw_tLS36hz47bijyJCoztcNX_5Idryh_WT7CnqOknrlfrWDTTEoobSV2b9UC3ZJ24Hz4hZFFwDq9VNO1b5UIBELo-rq87hUjkp5IIuxgG1riJpr-OuvViaiT57qxx9A59ww3vlDONiXhRUB9JmegBNgtPOw5zduTuFY0ZduHUdMAObwhFCbXWipdSLdUwGthq953aW60gFq71U9g7iBTG7bXPlbHUYbXqJqzXo6RWZZdXN3x2iiUz7GFuXryKCeTGtR6DO1OZPmjNNAFhKqxbolMiLWF3WOFmWf2z1Xezn_Kf2kxZ86kmDZifvOUcnF8UFY5ULDeDCuYTAovUci-BaajJHdO8-nDlReIalZm7VCOa1oZqr92fUnwY_40kxjI93K5xTMFOE_tSk1DbWBXXuoJUCIrHd3mpJMRGBuNbM-vFvFjuFWM6J9lbyjjWIUusSkFD9pPZJPV9QCWE5gv2mU9aY6UNd2intkYK1j5TH0ko89UovZ5fkF5bI9XWJzKLUYGPyTeEkKUzURXFe2HuKA=w800-no

No joy on the pic- but this step caused my first replacement order. I went through 2 sets of spars. My buddy went through 3 before he was satisfied. Short version- it?s hard to drill the hole for the relief notches in the right spot before you flatten it out. Suggest you drill the hole undersize to 3/16 as close as you can get it to the bend. Flatten it out And then finish it up as necessary by hand filing. Good luck!

Chuck,

Thanks for the tip. It's been in the back of my mind that replacement parts are in my future. From what I've heard, I should throw in another trim tab and save on shipping. Joking aside, is there any way to adjust the parts the next time I drill them to avoid this situation?

Here's attempt number 2 for a picture. Seems that the best I can do is a link to the shared google album. My attempt last night appeared to work only for me on all devices that I was logged into Google.

AF1QipNHpN5ZRxpoROfcqu40QaPqWsGmLl2p50zXjAsC

Hole location

I see the same issue as many others.
Center the hole in the vertex of the angle between the flange and web.
You'll have plenty of edge distance and it can be filed if you need to remove more later.
As Chuck mentioned, drill a little less than 1/4"
If you notice, the drawing shows the hole edge 5/32" from the edge of the flange so the center of the 1/4" hole has to land right in the angle. Prop the spar up in a 45/45 degree wedge so you can drill right in the vertex. Drill a tiny pilot hole and increase incrementally to about 3/16 or 7/32.
Tip.
Always draw an edge distance line. It keeps you honest and will point to potential problems before you drill or cut.

Last edited:
No joy on the pic- but this step caused my first replacement order. I went through 2 sets of spars. My buddy went through 3 before he was satisfied. Short version- it?s hard to drill the hole for the relief notches in the right spot before you flatten it out. Suggest you drill the hole undersize to 3/16 as close as you can get it to the bend. Flatten it out And then finish it up as necessary by hand filing. Good luck!

I did the exact same went through two spars until I tweaked the holes and relief notch to get it just acceptable. One of the worst designed parts and instructions in the kit. Why the parts are not prepunched and/or instructions better in this area is beyond me. This is where beginners start Vans, caused a lot of frustration! It gets better though :D

Back in 2000 when I started my tail kit as an RV-6 this one bit me and I had to replace the spar. Nice to see that it is still biting people today! NOT! :confused:

This is also an area subject to a SB and why we have the spar doublers in the first place.

Back