What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Auto plugs with magneto

Hangar 1271

Well Known Member
Does anyone know of another source for converting a magneto and harness over to using auto ignition wires and plugs? I have been speaking with the reference noted on some posts here but the response is slow and I can't get them on the phone. Being a complete novice and needing some hand-holding, I was wondering if there are more responsive sources available. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

Go to ebay, search Magneto Harness in Aviation Parts.
Look at the pictures and compare to your own equipment.
I have Bendix mags, there is an old style Harness Plate that has threaded gland nuts to hold the plug wires, works with 8.5mm MSD Super Conductor wires.
I got these 'New Old Stock' from an ebay seller, very reasonable.
Once taken apart, you will see how the plug wires require a surface to compress the spring in the distributor cap. This can be a pop rivet with the nail pushed out, inserted into the wire insulation with the conductor passing thru the center of the rivet.
I kept the original harness whole so I could go back to it if there was a problem...but I never needed it.
The Slick and newer Bendix appear to use press in ferrules.
That's a start...

G3 ignition

Tom at G3 will sell you instructions, and if you buy his parts to do the change, he will rebate the cost of the instructions.

The Bendix mags have a bigger spark (I am told), but I doubt that it makes much difference.

I did this exact mod last fall - sure made a difference!

Last edited:
Thanks. I am looking for an alternative to G3I since I can't seem to get in touch with them and time just is going by. I've looked on ebay, thank you for the suggestion, but I really don't enough to know what I'm looking for and I really want to get this done (meaning by someone who knows what they are doing).

here it is

http://g3ignition.com/magmod.html

That page gets you to the how-to info. As I mentioned, Tom will rebate the $30 when you order parts. I did not talk with him - the process is easy.

If you need help, I can provide SOME, but ya gotta remember that the whole thing is experimental.

I bought the plug adapters from SDS - great machining and a good fit.

I have some caps and wire ends on hand that I did not use - I can provide some of those if necessary. You will need the correct crimping tool too:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-900399?rrec=true

Back