What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Center Stack Feedback

David Carter

Well Known Member
Patron
I'm planning to upgrade my RV-7A center stack to add IFR training capability. Not going the full G3x route at this time due to lead time & finances. (Maybe next year. . .)

I'm planning to go all Garmin and adding to my existing pair of G5s, JPI engine monitor & aera 660.

Here's what I'm contemplating:

GMC 507
GMA 245*
GNC 255
GTR 200
GNX 375

* Yes, I know that the GNC has a 2-place intercom - the GMA adds Bluetooth & dedicated pilot/copilot volume knobs, and maybe more audio alert inputs.

I'm looking for feedback on a couple of things:

1. Do I really need the GTR 200? Adds cost, weight, & another com antenna. How much do I gain from having the second com if I'm not planning to fly hard IFR? I carry a portable VHF nav/com with headset adapter.

2. Which order, top to bottom, would you recommend arranging these items, and why? I've seen panels with the GMC on the top & also ones with it on the bottom. Same for the GNX. Garmin is showing a panel in some of their literature with this ordering:

GMA
GNX
GNC
GMC

Thanks!

I like my second comm

Gives me four frequencies ready at the push of a couple of buttons -- plus, I am a nut about backups!

Ron

Gives me four frequencies ready at the push of a couple of buttons -- plus, I am a nut about backups!

Ron

My setup is quite different but Com 2 allows me to lose the GTN750 for a main bus shutdown, with the seven garmin P.2 inputs at the bottom powered by the aux avionics switch on my essential loads bus. Will deliver safe, if not utterly legal completion in flight even if IFR. GTN related are the top right three breakers.

Another advantage is the ability to endure long waits for clearance with engine shut dowm.
2v2EtPoyVxBELK5.jpg

I just ordered my avionics...here's what I'm doing

GMC 507 on top. It's the shallowest piece and won't interfere with the center rib behind panel. Also my "day job" has the AP controls on top.

GTR 200B. I'm only going with 1 com radio. Personal preference

GNX 375 on bottom. It's the deepest and requires cutting hole in sub-panel. The 200 will need a cutout as well.

Back