What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Moving my 12 kit to the airport

E. D. Eliot

Well Known Member
I am facing moving my mostly completed RV-12 project to the airport soon - about 50 miles to Chino AP from San Pedro, SO Cal. I'm very interested in your suggestions on how to do this safely.

I had planned to use U-Haul trucks and today, I checked out one of their 26' trucks - no tie downs - cant use that truck I guess. Suggestions please - thanks.

I am facing moving my mostly completed RV-12 project to the airport soon - about 50 miles to Chino AP from San Pedro, SO Cal. I'm very interested in your suggestions on how to do this safely.

I had planned to use U-Haul trucks and today, I checked out one of their 26' trucks - no tie downs - cant use that truck I guess. Suggestions please - thanks.

If you know someone with a snowmobile trailer, borrow it. The spring rates will be good for your RV. Trailers sprung for cars and other heavier stuff will shake the **** out of your airplane. I learned this from the Homebuilt Help guy.

Jerre

My move was only about 25 miles but I rented a Penske 26' or 28', don't remember for sure. I think it was their largest box truck. Built ramps for the main gear and used the truck ramp for the nose wheel. Worked great. Had plenty of room for the fuse & wings, etc. plus tools, a workbench, etc. It was probably larger than I strictly needed but the difference wasn't all that great and I wanted to make sure there was plenty of room for plenty of padding and to be able tie things down.

I moved my 8 in a 26? uhaul. If I remember correctly it had a rail on both sides that you can attach tie downs to.

Back