What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Empennage fairing hardware

Maxrate

Well Known Member
Patron
Vans has you tap several places along the longeron for a No.6 screw. In the pic you can see where I have the fairing attached at the bottom. Without a nutplate to really grip the screw and hold it in place is there any alternative ideas to keeping those screws secure? I thought about a low strength Loctite, or some similar product. The final hardware will be a flush stainless screw with a tinnerman washer.

2utjndk.jpg

2zea4w0.jpg

It's a non-issue in my experience. Properly tapped, and reasonably torqued, the screws will stay put just fine. I've never had one back out at all between condition inspections, 7 years running.

A bit tangential as your main question has been answered, but on the topic of hardware I swapped all of my #6 Phillips heads for torx heads as it?s ridiculously easy to strip the Phillips heads out.

The problem with adding nut plates inside at this point is that the skin is already on. Would anyone care to share how they accomplished this. Thanks

A bit tangential as your main question has been answered, but on the topic of hardware I swapped all of my #6 Phillips heads for torx heads as it?s ridiculously easy to strip the Phillips heads out.

Just use ACR style driver bits from APEX and you won't strip them. :D

Back