What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing gap seal

FutureRV

My rubber seal between wing and fuselage is separating from the aircraft. I want to just replace it.
Any suggestions on where to purchase and what size? I have a RV-7.
Thanks,
David

Something different...

After fighting Van's rubber gap seals for years I decided to pitch the stuff and try something different. It's called "door trim protector" and you can get it on Amazon.

I goes on easily, stays where you put it and lasts a long time. I see no downside other than the gap you have may be too wide. I was so fed up with the rubber trim that I bought new aluminum fairings from Van's and cut them so that the gap is just wide enough to fit the new door trim protector. I only wish that I had used this stuff from the get-go!

PS: The "dirt" on my wing is pollen! The stuff is everywhere!

I found I prefer the look of the standard Van?s channel. I do however put a few dabs of black RTV in the channel, then install the wing gap seal before the RTV sets up.

Once I figured this out the gap seal has been trouble free - and it easily comes off and back on the plane staying attached to the aluminum gap seal.

Hint - for you RV-10 builders out there use this rubber channel on the leading edge of the wing to fuselage intersection instead of nothing like the plans call out.

Carl

Back