What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F-796B attachment

JRichichi

Well Known Member
I looked all over but couldn't seem to find in the plans where they say to perform the final installation of the F-796B angle and F-796C & D spacers. I saw in Section 8, "Installing the Forward Bulkhead" where to drill the pilot holes and "Remove the parts and set aside for later installation". I also saw in the "Setting the Wing Incidence" section where they talk about installing the F-796A Fuel Tank Attach brackets. Where I can't find is when is the best time to install the F-796B angle and F-796C & D spacers.

I'd like to install the F-796B angle and C & D spacers before I install the wings. This way I have great access to drill and rivet everything. From what I understand, the F-796A Fuel Tank Attach bracket will need to be bent to mate up correctly with the T-405 Fuel Tank Attach bracket. Therefore, it sounds like I probably won't need to "match" the F-796A exactly with respect to the T-405 and I can just line up the centerline of the F-796A with the F-796B and drill away. I'm thinking that I'll open up the upper holes in the F-796B and fuselage to full size, temporarily install the AN3 bolt and use that to drill the lower holes for the other AN3 bolt. Then I'll just rivet the F-796B, C and D parts together and bolt the F-796A Fuel Tank Attach bracket on after I've got the wings installed and drill/assemble those parts.

Any suggestions on the best way to do this would be helpful.

Thanks!

Jeff

This seems to be one of those "install before flight" items .. mine are sitting on the shelf, clecoed together, waiting for the same operation...

Last edited:
Jeff, I believe you have to install the spacers and the interior angle when you rivet the side skin on. You are correct that you can "fudge" the forward fuel tank attach bracket by slightly bending it when the wings go on. The only thing you set aside for later is the steel bracket. It's a real knee-biter if you bolt that on and leave it there while you work up front.

Guess what I'll be doing this weekend??

Hi Dave,

That makes sense. I'll go ahead and install this assembly this weekend. I'll unbolt and remove the F-796A Fuel Tank Attach bracket so as to save my shins. Thanks for the help.

Jeff

Hi Bill,

Yeah, I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and install this assembly. I'll remove the F-796A Fuel Tank Attach bracket so it won't get in the way during the wing installation. Glad to know I'm not the only one in this situation.

Thanks.

Jeff

Back