What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nose wheel fairing fit

Ron B.

Well Known Member
Since very few have fitted their RV-14A nose wheel fairings I thought I would ask on here. The nose fork and I do believe nose fairing are RV-10 parts. I feel I got a much better fit on our RV-10 nose wheel fairing with the nose wheel gear leg fairing. The plans say to have a min. 1/8" gap in order for the nose wheel to swivel. I had to deviate from the plans on the RV-14A and raise the aft end a bit to get the front down below the gear leg gusset. With the aft measurement as per plans along with the 21/32" spacer on top of the tire the hole would have had to have been about three inches in dia. to clear the gusset and swivel. I did not want that. With the hole just below the bottom of the gusset the wheel swivels around the called out 1 5/8". But now with the lower or different angle to the fairing the nose gear leg fairing needs to be trimmed with a gap of 3/8" in order to have clearance when swiveled. I do not recall a 3/8" on our RV-10 (sold).

Interesting as I'm working on my -10 fairings right now. Why is the spacer used on top of the tire smaller than the one used on the -10 (21/32 vs 7/8)? In any event is the 3/8" gap you're talking about the gap between the bottom of the leg fairing and the top of the nose gear fairing? If so, the -10 plans call for a gap of 3/16 to 1/4, if that helps. I'm a visual guy and I'm having a hard time understanding exactly the issues you're having based upon your description especially since I have never seen RV-14 plans or nose gear structure.

Thanks Todd
Yes it is between the leg fairing and the top of the wheel fairing. I never checked my plans for the RV-10. 3/16" to 1/4" I might have had more of a gap than I remembered. The 14 calls for a minimum 1/8". I'll have to as the new owner for a close up picture of that area.

Back