What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stall Warning Buzzer

GregMac

Instead of running a hot wire out (and back if it's activated) to the wing switch for activating the stall warning buzzer, has anyone used a ground wire instead, or see any reason why that shouldn't be OK. Would allow just a short power wire from the bus bar to the buzzer. Cheers from Western Australia

If you are planning to have one of the EFIS offerings most come with an AOA indication. The AOA fulfills the same function as the old school stall warning, while enhancing situational awareness.

I choose to not install the stock Van's stall warning. I filled the pre-punched holes when building the wing.

Carl

Quite useful

As to wiring,
Jesse answered that and mine is the same as are most others I suspect.

The AOA fulfills the same function as the old school stall warning

True but the "old stall warning" buzzer seems to find a more direct way into
my brain than something coming from a sea of digital clutter tucked inside
of an EFIS screen.

Approaching to land and keeping focus mostly outside the airplane, runway, windsock etc. with cross checks on airspeed, I personally find it difficult to
shift attention to an AOA.

Having the "old stall warning" buzzer telling me to push the nose forward
has been ingrained in my memory for 35 years of flying.

One more benefit, if the master is left on, you can lift the tab on the wing on the way out of the hangar and double check that it is off.

For the AOA to be useful for landing it is best to have an audio warning, which Dynon, GRT, maybe others have.
With good headphones I can barely hear the stock Radio Shack buzzer.

For the AOA to be useful for landing it is best to have an audio warning, which Dynon, GRT, maybe others have.
With good headphones I can barely hear the stock Radio Shack buzzer.

AFS AOA has Jenny Hickman talking in your ear telling you to "Push"

... I ground it locally by the switch.
Me too. Simple, effective. My EFIS has the AOA indicator, but I like to have an audible buzzer. On my -9A, the buzzer is mounted on the top outboard surface of the left gear weldment...nicely out of the way, but unshrouded so I can hear it.

Also, you might consider a panel light too. The local flight school's Cherokees have this, and it works surprisingly well.

Last edited:
Thanks Jessi and all others for the replies, ground stall warning activation for me, this is the sought of "departing from the plans" I like......... One that doesn't put an extra week on the build ! Cheers from Western Australia

Back