What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any RV-10s at Twin Oaks, OR?

ERushing

Well Known Member
My wife and I are flying into Hillsboro to pick up some tomatoes from her mom. Yes, that's correct - we're spending $300 to pick up some tomatoes. Gotta problem with that? :):) (Any reason to fly!)

Just curious if any RV10 owners will be around Twin Oaks early tomorrow afternoon. Always interested in seeing what others have done. The tailcone is finished. QB Wings should be here in a couple weeks with the QB Fuse following shortly after. Starting to think about antenna placement, interior, etc...

Just curious if any RV10 owners will be around Twin Oaks early tomorrow afternoon. Always interested in seeing what others have done. The tailcone is finished. QB Wings should be here in a couple weeks with the QB Fuse following shortly after. Starting to think about antenna placement, interior, etc...

There are no RV-10s based at Twin Oaks, but there are a couple/few in the area including at KHIO (just north of Twin Oaks).

Thanks Greg! Looks like we'll be landing, picking up the tomatoes, conversing with the in-laws for a bit and then back in the air. I'll hit up the KHIO RV10's next trip :)

There are several -10's at KHIO and I'm one of them! Problem is, I'm flying it back from Arizona and won't be in until a bit later in the day. There are 2 more -10's on the field and they may be around. I'll shoot them your info and see if they will be out and about to meet you.

There is also a gorgeous -10 owned by Mark Cooper at KUAO and Rob Hickman with Advanced Flight systems flies a -10 out of Dietz Airpark nearby.

Hope you can see some of these awesome examples. They are guaranteed to impress!

David

Thanks David! I've actually flown in both Mark's and Rob's. They were both instrumental in talking my wife into doing the project!

I'm sure I'll be back to KHIO soon. The in-laws live 10 min away. Just flying into Twin Oaks today because I've never flown in there before.

Thanks!

No problem! Remember that the preferred approach (winds permitting) into Twin Oaks is on 02 and departures are on 20! It'll catch you off guard if you're not expecting it. It's a fun airport to hop into. See you in the future.

D

Thank David! I did a bit of research before I flew in but it didn't actually say that on their website! But I talked to Unicom on the way in and clarified when I announced intent to land 02 and just after someone announced departure on 20!

It was a nice airport and nice people. I'll have to make the return trip for a pancake breakfast!

I'm glad to hear it went well and you didn't see the landing lights of the departing airplane while on final :eek:

:)

David

I've been based at Twin Oaks for 7 years. Have landed both directions the whole time, as winds dictate (but yeah, normally take off 20 and land 02). With the trees trimmed down on the north end the approach to 20 (which was never really all that much of a problem) is even more standard now. The locals will generally take off to the south and land to the north with a slight tail wind. The runway runs slightly uphill, a little lower on south end and higher on the north end. Best little airport around!

Good to know about landing in both directions. I remember my first landing there years ago. I was a rookie pilot and I came in over the tall trees on 20 in a Cessna. I had to do a go-around as I came in high to avoid the trees. On a second try, I got it done but after landing, someone on the field told me about the take offs on 20 and landings on 02 and it was a good moment to realize the benefits of local knowledge.

Speaking of great airports, I just returned with the -10 from KSDL and I stopped for lunch in KTRK (Truckee). Wow! Great airport facilities, services, and location. Highly recommended. Check it out here: https://truckeetahoeairport.com

Ok, I think this thread has been sufficiently hijacked. My apologies :)
D

I've been based at Twin Oaks for 7 years. Have landed both directions the whole time, as winds dictate (but yeah, normally take off 20 and land 02). With the trees trimmed down on the north end the approach to 20 (which was never really all that much of a problem) is even more standard now. The locals will generally take off to the south and land to the north with a slight tail wind. The runway runs slightly uphill, a little lower on south end and higher on the north end. Best little airport around!

15+ years ago, the property owner just to the North would have a fit if anyone flew low over their property during landing or takeoff. So, even though I don't remember it being officially published as a one way runway if the wind was blowing hard out of the south allowing landing on 20 (even with the tall trees that were there then) you would suffer the wrath of Betty with a chewing out, because she didn't want to have to deal with another threat of a law suit from the neighbor.
That situation changed many years ago but people still tend to operate that way. Particularly since there is a pretty strong slope angle to the runway.

Back