What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us a picture of your RV-10 progress.

Wing Cradle

As promised, details of the wing cradles. I don't take credit for the idea which has been previously documented in these forums. However, the ones I have seen have been full length and somewhat unwieldy.

The root end sits on a sawhorse.

img4014uvj.jpg

img4015t.jpg

img4016.jpg

Make a base frame - I used planed 3x2 all round. The internal width needs to give 2 11" gaps with the 3 uprights - this worked out at 30". Make the frame about 3ft long. Fit wheels.

Make 3 upright frames to fit inside the base. The top should be 1" lower than the sawhorse. Add 2 cross braces 18" below the top. Obviously make sure everything is square.

You will need a piece of scrap carpet about 3x8. Trim it to width and tack it to the centre frame - I used broad head roofing tacks. Clamp in approximately the right position to the outer frame. Position the wing in the cradle and pull the carpet tight so the wing sits snug and level. Tack to the outer frame and trim.

I suspect the sawhorse is going to have to go and a second cradle made when I fit the fuel tanks.

Tail cone done!!! Started the work of attaching the elevators to the HS today. I am getting real tired of taking the elevators on and off, but the ratcheting wrench I bought was a life saver. My trailing edges of the elevator are perfect, but one of my trim tabs has about a 1/4 inch warp to it.

main.php

main.php

now to go remove the elevators again...

Top cowl fitted and while I was crawling around, I thought this will be an unusual picture of the engine.

rv10_032.jpg

Then I have also fitted the bottom cowl today. Note the wooden disk I have made in place of attaching the prop with spinner backplate. Lots of room to work now! And np prop streikes on the head either.

rv10_031.jpg

Rudi on 100Hours

RVators,

my first progress report on VansAirforce, and I just gone through the 100hour mark, and managed to complete the V-stab, Rudder, and H-Stab so far.

This RV10 is MUCH larger than my rv7 and/or rv12 I played around with before :D

tail_15.jpg

tail_34.jpg

tail_48.jpg

Regards
Rudi

At last!

Well, a couple of weeks ago I finally broke down and started the -10. I'd been trying to get a truck restoration project out of my hangar (still trying; I'm just working around it for now) before I got started. Anyway, I've got the VS and rudder done (rudder pic below), and am partway through the HS. Boy is this a lot easier than the -6A (though somewhat more tedious because a greater percentage of time is spent deburring). Anyway, the journey has begun.

RV10_0002.JPG

Moving to the airport

I finally got the plane moved to the airport. All went well and had plenty of great help. Thanks to all who helped.
Bob Leffler, Brad Leffler, Jim Baldwin, Jack Ferernce, Al Moyer, Pat Ferguson,
Matt Finley and Cals towing. When I called to get prices on roll backs Cals Towing thought I was joking when I said I need to have an airplane towed.

The end is getting near
Below is a link to more photos

Geoff
0_0_b7e13f32063c49830835abd0619e3b32_1

http://albums.phanfare.com/isolated/L5LenCCI/1/3161550_4715535#imageID=80074

Last edited:
I'm moving right along. Horizontal stabilizer was finished today. Even unpolished it's shiny as all get-out:
RV10_0003.JPG

Well, I have to take back my status. As I was parking my -6A after a breakfast flight, a gust of wind took my HS, cradles and all, and deposited them on the ground, ruining the skins. Looks like the structure is alright, assuming I don't screw something up as I drill the skins off. *sigh* :(

Last edited:
Just getting started

First post on this website. Emp kit showed up Thursday, finished inventory that night, spent all day today working on the vertical stabilizer and this is how far I've gotten.

4000212600_5b0cb59f2f.jpg

Very excited to finally be building after so much planning. :)

re: dented skins

Patrick:
I had a similar thing happen to me when I got my wing kit.
I had opened the crates and had the leading edge skins standing on end and left them standing up over night (in my own hangar). I had the empennage finished and all assembled in a craddle sitting right nest to the leading edge skins. The next day I noticed the skins laying on the floor, not even a corner dinged, but while falling over, one skin hit the trim tab on the right elevator and kind of screwed it up. I think it was $25 for the parts to build a new trim tab so it wasn't too bad.:) Anyway, hangar rash happens so don't feel alone.

Marshall Alexander
RV10 N781DM

Door progress

Doors are ready for paint.
Now I think I am going to have to do something about that square handle.:)

IMG_0489.JPG

IMG_0491.JPG

IMG_0492.JPG

IMG_0494.JPG

IMG_0495.JPG

Nice job

Rudi,

Your work looks great, keep going.
I have always been inspired by those who are ahead of me.
The pics provide a great incentive to keep pounding rivets.

270 Hours Fit the Tail

Just finished temporary fitment of the Tailfeathers to the Tailcone (Just shy of 270 hours)

Standing back looking at the First Major Milestone, Feeling Good? YES! :D
cone_41.jpg

Carbon Fiber Overhead Console

Geoff Combs (Aerosport Products) stopped by today with my new carbon fiber overhead console. I must say that I was rather impressed with the quality and fit. It fits perfectly, so I won't have to do all the sanding and filling that others have done with the fiberglass overheads. It's also significantly lighter than the fiberglass overheads too. Since it's hot off the press, or should I say vacuum bag, the access panels, air vents, and clothes hangar haven't been installed yet.

overhead2.JPG

overhead4.JPG

overhead1.JPG

Last edited:
I don't know any reason why it wouldn't work. The concept is the same, which is a couple 2" scat tubes attached at the tailcone bulkhead. My guess is that you'll save at least 5-6 lbs over the the fiberglass overheads that I've seen.

Give Geoff at Aerosport Products a call. I know that one of the vendors was anxious to get a carbon fiber overhead. I just don't recall which one at the moment.

Tanks are done and have no leaks!

I am probably going to have to revise how much fuel they hold based on the vast amounts of proseal used to hold them together but it is worth it to have no leaks.

main.php

So I guess to get an image to work I need to point to an actual image file?

Last edited:
Easiest way I have found is to have the image somewhere on the net-----I use Picasa, but there are a lot of others. I go to the site and open up the photo, right click in the photo, and click "copy image location". Then, when you are typing your message, put the cursor where you want the photo, and then click the yellow sun/mountain icon in the tool bar above the typing field, and past the image location into the window that opens up.

Try it, may take a couple times to make sense.

You must use the yellow sun/mountain icon, do not paste directly into the message.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I have my own webserver that all my images are on, but the software I use to run my gallery does not return the url to the actual image, but a path that the software uses to find the image and serve it up. This is done for security reasons and it seems these forums need a link to an actual image file and not a url that can render an image.

Easiest way I have found is to have the image somewhere on the net-----I use Picasa, but there are a lot of others. I go to the site and open up the photo, right click in the photo, and click "copy image location". Then, when you are typing your message, put the cursor where you want the photo, and then click the yellow sun/mountain icon in the tool bar above the typing field, and past the image location into the window that opens up.

Try it, may take a couple times to make sense.

You must use the yellow sun/mountain icon, do not paste directly into the message.

Good luck.

Bob,

Nice photos.

What are you going to put in the two cut outs?

Are you going to leave it finished as is, or are you going to get it covered with a cloth or leather?

Thanks,
Phil

What are you going to put in the two cut outs?

Geoff (Aerosport Products) supplies aluminum access plates for these areas that are sealed. This was a problem with some of the fiberglass overheads that have been previously sold. A common complaint is air leaking around these access plates. These plates allow you to access to wiring, nuts, etc. I know some folks are planning DVD players that would mount to the rear access plate. The plates weren't in the photo, since Geoff literally brought it over as soon as it was done. I'm not sure which one of us was more anxious to see how it looked. He has another vendor laser cut his aluminum panels, which weren't ready yesterday.

Are you going to leave it finished as is, or are you going to get it covered with a cloth or leather?

While carbon fiber is quite a bit better than fiberglass in regards to pin holes, I'm going to fill with Leohle Wonder-Fil and paint. I'll run headliner material right up to the overhead console. I'm sure you can cover it if so desired, but that's beyond my skills. You might be able to get somebody like Classic Aero or Flightline to cover it for you.

Oh well...can't seem to be able to post a picture directly...the two previous photos are rather old...here is one taken recently. Working on the interior. So far everything is fitting well, flightline did a great job.
index.cfm

Still need to trim it out, but here is a shot of the overhead we built out of fiberglass.
index.cfm

more pictures soon
Walt Fuller

Looks good walt. Nice job on the console and your interior...should be a nice bird when it's finished!

Cheers,
Stein

Thanks Mike! How do you do dat:cool:

Thanks Stein, It won't be a " cream puff " but hey...we built it to fly.

Here are some pictures of dusty pictures of the 4 we built, flew, and sold...N52FK. Will post some better ones soon.

index.cfm

index.cfm

index.cfm

Walt

Some interior work

More interior work today...flightline interiors did a great job fitting...take a good look at the captain in the back seat ( 5th image posted ) I doubt you'll ever see it again. I had to grab that!
index.cfm

index.cfm

index.cfm

index.cfm

index.cfm

index.cfm

Last edited:
Walt, you are welcome.

You are at the right place in construction to consider the modification in this post

Cover it with matching carpet like on the floorboard.

Take care.

400 hours (over 9 months) in and mid wing kit.

I'm not nearly as far along as most of the posts in this thread. I just got to the 400 hour mark. But, here's where I am:

One wing with the top skins riveted in place (photo shows it in the cleco'd stage):
DSCF0074.JPG

DSCF0082.JPG

DSCF0084.JPG

I have also completed one outboard leading edge assy, and have the 2nd dimpled and cleco'd back together for final riveting, but i don't have those pictures uploaded at the moment. After I get that riveted, it'll be time to get the 2nd wing assembled and top skins on. I still need to build a wing cradle first.

Stuewe,

Coming along nicely and see, there is always somebody behind you who wishes to be where you are.
I have no time in December to build so I am just cheering you on.
Looking good!

Nice. I'm wishing I was at that point. I also like how you've stowed your tail cone.

I did something similiar with my tailcone. It flew at the top of my garage for over a year. I converted a couple of hoists that used to have the kid's bikes on them. While I paid considerable more ten years ago, I've seen the hoists for sale a Harbor Freight for $10.

FP23022008A0001D.jpg

Cabin done

After what seems to be a never ending job of sanding, filling, priming, I have done the final priming on the cabin and have also removed the protective plastic. :)
rv10_044.jpg

rv10_045.jpg

Back