What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us a picture of your RV-10 progress.

On her own legs with a beautiful engine installed

engineinstalled.jpg

more news on www.wellenzohn.net

Some out of date pictures

Almost all major parts are completed. So I have ready wings, empennage, the fusalage is little bit more advanced then as shown here. I will prepare some more up-to-date photos soon.:D
1.jpg

2.jpg

Regards

Maciek

Last edited by a moderator:
1st Tech Counselor visit- "Very nice rivet work"

Had our EAA Tech counselor out for our first visit, as we have buttoned up the VS, most of the rudder, and about half the VS. No issues or rework, and some nice compliments! "Straight as an arrow trailing edge." I credit the rivet bucker (and CFO of the house - my wife naturally) for the rivet work.

Not bad considering we aren't trying to build to showplane standards, just get her going.

Here's a pic with the VS...
IMG_0834.jpg

Will post more pics when we finish the emp...

Dwight

Last edited:
Very nice Dwight but I notice that you didn't quite get the sectors even where you stripped the blue coating - try to get it right next time. :D

Seriously, it's great to get the first part done. Even better when you can join a couple of pieces together.

img3741ir0.jpg

Now finished the HS and almost done on the elevators. Started on the tailcone frames and the wings (SB) arrive in the next week or so. Been going just over a year but spent much time overseas working. Should get a lot more done this year.

I think the first UK RV10 should be flying this year - G-RVIO. He nabbed that registration before I got a chance! :mad:

First European RV-10

To the best of my knowledge the frist flying RV-10 in Europe will be one in Poland;) (let's start competition - just kidding). It is expected to be ready in a two months:D
Europe is never gonna be USA and the number of planes and aviators will always stay at the very end:( That's sad, but I live here and only thing I can do is to buy another one of great VANS flying machines (Maybe RV-8???:p).

Regards

Maciek

Panel

WOW, that's the most I have seen in a 10 panel. Would you mind giving me details of what you have in it? I have a 7, but want to build a 10 for the additional room. Thanks. You can e-mail me, sw "at" apyxx.com.

Continuation...

OLOHC - in other words Oxygen/Lighting OverHead Console

ohconsole.jpg

Front wheel fairing as a painting sample.

fairing.jpg

Painting trial was successful!

The Seats are done

Since I don't have any experience in upholstery work I decided to get some professional help. Mr. Kress helped me with the design and did the entire work in his company.

You can tell if someone is passionate about his job. It's the first time he did aircraft seats seems like a good challenge compared to the regular Bentley, Rolls Royce and Aston Martins he is usually working on ;-)

frontseat.jpg

frontseat4.jpg

more pictures on http://www.wellenzohn.net/

Michael

First Engine Run

After lots of preparation, we towed N380DM to the pumps at KSGS on a beautiful fall day in St. Paul, MN. Put in some fuel, towed to the tie down area, snugged it down, and started it up. Everything functioned perfectly and the Vertical Power is really cool! Now for the final 90%!

[URL=http://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php]

The magic scoop is in my basement. I'm moving the EFI business out to the airport in January so I have to make as much room as possible for all the shop and lab equipment. You'll have to be patient!

I might add that we picked the best day to transport the fuselage- encountering a snow flurry halfway out. Of course the sun came out about an hour later.:mad:

At least I got to remove 3 years of dust off the plane as we wiped all the water off it. It's nice and shiny now.:)

Thanks Bill. They changed their site a few months back and I fooled around trying to make the image appear directly and gave up.

Taxi Tests

Taxi tests a couple of days ago. Everything worked as advertised. Oil leak last week ended up requiring a new front seal in the engine. Weighed the airplane today and now appear to own the heaviest RV-10 in the fleet at 1769 lbs. Flightline AC air conditioner and SafeAir1 extended range tanks make this no surprise. Empty CG is 109.38.

WOW that is heavy.

Mind you its a bit foolish to start sprouting off about it when mine is barely out of teh box ;)

Are you going to MTOW it at 2900lbs?

DB

Taxi tests a couple of days ago. Everything worked as advertised. Oil leak last week ended up requiring a new front seal in the engine. Weighed the airplane today and now appear to own the heaviest RV-10 in the fleet at 1769 lbs. Flightline AC air conditioner and SafeAir1 extended range tanks make this no surprise. Empty CG is 109.38.

Maybe the second heaviest but not anywhere near my Chunky Monkey weighing in at 2053.

I will most likely stick with Van's recommended MTOW. 99% of our flying will just be the two of us, so useful load will be fine.

For those of you who haven't seen Gary's plane up close, let me tell you it's one of the best ones out there. The attention to little details is staggering, and perhaps the fact that he previously built a Grand Champion Glasair III has something to do with the impeccable fiberglass work, paint and finish. His is one of those planes you poke around and notice little things every time you look at it and say "why didn't I think of that"??! The interior is also one of the snazziest I've seen and been in. Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know that the plane is pretty damned nice in person, Gary won't tell you that so someone has to... :)

Cheers,
Stein

For those of you who haven't seen Gary's plane up close, let me tell you it's one of the best ones out there. The attention to little details is staggering, and perhaps the fact that he previously built a Grand Champion Glasair III has something to do with the impeccable fiberglass work, paint and finish. His is one of those planes you poke around and notice little things every time you look at it and say "why didn't I think of that"??! The interior is also one of the snazziest I've seen and been in. Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know that the plane is pretty damned nice in person, Gary won't tell you that so someone has to... :)

Cheers,
Stein

Thanks for the kudos Stein, makes you feel warm and fuzzy all over.

Gary Specketer

1,000 hour mark

Don't have much to show it seems like, but here's what I was working on when the 1,000 man-hour milestone rolled by... wingtips on the QB wings.

IMG_6621.JPG

Dwight

Last edited:
Sean,

get all that blue plastic off the skins NOW!!!

If you take a year or so to build you may regret it. Its a bugger of a thing to get off when its really old :eek:

You have to rub the skins back anyway later prior to painting so the shiny gloss is going to be gone.

Good luck with the rest of the build!

PS you could also allodyne the skins ribs etc you know!

Last edited:
Nowhere to Go? Taxi into position and hold!

What a beauty! A fellow builder nicknamed Siberian RV-10 has all your 6600 construction pictures in his posessions. Beware - you may have a clone :)

Come up to Flagstaff. I promise not to drool over it (much). ;) Or, maybe we'll meet at Prescott next week at their fly-in (I'm not sure when I'll be there, yet). Anyway, beautiful bird. You should add your interior shots.

A Good Week

img4013y.jpg

By paul330_340, shot with Canon DIGITAL IXUS 700 at 2009-04-21

Been at this game for nearly 2.5 years and at times I have despaired at the rate of progress - airline pilot spending a lot of time away, all sorts of other jobs around the house to do etc etc.

Anyway, I have a friend who is a retired engineer in the aluminium canning business. Spent his time around Asia and is now bored - helps to rebuild steam engines in his spare time. Last week he came down to help me skin the wings. At the start of the week I had one skin clecoed on and one outboard leading edge riveted. By the end we had both skins completed and leading edges on including the stall warner and building a cradle - and some prep done on the fuel tanks. Reckon we put in about 70 man-hours.

Only real glitch was at some stage I got one of the wing-walk doublers 180 out - a LOT of the holes line up :mad: Fortunately (?), there was a spare HS skin lying about :eek: and we were able to fabricate a replacement.

I now have faith that I can finish this thing. Unfortunately, I am currently in Hong Kong! Oh, and I've ordered the fuselage......

Don't despair; it took me better than 14 years to finish my 6A. It will get done if you just keep working at it. Nice looking work, BTW. Could we get a better shot of the cradle?

Thanks - I intend to have it done in something less than that!

I'm heading back UK-ward today so I'll post a close-up later with some construction guidelines for the cradle.

Not too long now until I'm up to my armpits in Proseal.......... :eek:

Back