What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EFII boost pump

Dennis54

I'm New Here
I'm looking at using the EFII electric boost pump module on my IO360 powered -7. Anyone have any experience with/horror stories about this unit??

Working extremely well after 250 hours on our RV-3. Never an issue, clean installation.

Ordered

I just ordered mine yesterday from ACS, which has the 90 degree fittingds attached for an easier install in the -8.

Talked to Robert and there will be a batch going to ACS with the 90 degree fittings for anyone interested.

The new part number for the 90 degree fitting pump is 07-02461

DP

Last edited:
Very happy with mine after swapping it in for an older home-brew model. Easy install, good performance for 50+ hours (short eval period, but good to go so far!). Robert was very helpful too.

Cheers,
Bob

Mine was part of the original series I guess. Turns out it leaked everywhere it possibly could. Started with leaks from the bolts that secure the pump between the two billeted ends. Talked to Robert he indicated they are now using a o-ring washer vs crush washer. He asked me to send back and basically he gave it an overhaul. Got it back in ran it again and found it now leaking out 3 of the four plugs on the outside of the billeted ends. Again talked to Robert and was able to correct this myself by removing the plugs, adding some permatex and reinstalling. Since that point no issues.

Also, it didn't self prime, I had to manually pump fuel through it before it started pumping on its own. Understand this can be normal, but really makes me want to never run a tank dry in flight. :eek:

All things said, Robert was responsive and the pump is now working well. I just wish I didn't have to go through this especially since I was only able to identify this issue after first engine start. Then the trouble of removing the pump and dealing with the hassle of keeping fuel off the cockpit floor etc..

I would recommend all that have them and haven't started their engine to run some pressure tests through them, especially if they are part of the early orders.

Thx

EFII pumps

We are very sensitive to making sure our parts are working as advertised.
As Chad mentioned, early issued boost pumps had crush washers. We now use o-ringed washers and o-ringed plugs on all manifold entries. We have not had many field issues with leaks, but there have been a couple. We will always bring any older unit up to current standards if any issue is experienced in the field at no charge.

When pumps are first run, they should have some fuel poured into them to wet the internal components. This can be done easily by removing the line that goes from the boost pump to the mechanical fuel pump at the engine end and back pouring fuel into the line so that it will run back toward the boost pump. This procedure is detailed in the current boost pump instruction sheet.

Once the boost pump has pumped some fuel, it should reprime nicely. Running a tank dry, selecting the next tank and resuming normal fuel pressures should never be a problem.

Robert Paisley

Replacement for mechanical pump

Although I have no problems with my current set up, I am thinking about replacing my mechanical pump some day.
I run ethanol mogas and although there is plenty of evidence that the mechanical pump diaphragm will hold up to ethanol mogas it is not confirmed by anyone.
Currently running an AFP boost pump and one mechanical engine driven pump. The EFII pump would replace the mechanical pump and would be mounted in the FWF compartment in series and or parallel to the AFP boost pump, a drop in replacement for the mechanical pump without the heat conductivity of the engine mounted pump.
Any problems with this idea?
Is your pump ethanol tolerant?
Why is your pump running 30 PSI when all others are running at 25PSI?
Just asking, not complaining.

Boost Pump as primary pump

Hi Ernst,
Boost Pumps operate in a high bypass mode. This means that most of the fuel is recirculated within the Boost Pump assembly during operation. This type of pump is not suitable for continuous duty due to fuel heating over time. Electric pumps that are to serve as primary fuel pumps that also run in a high bypass mode need to have the bypass fuel returned to the selected fuel tank to avoid fuel heating. We have an application note on doing this on our website. The app note discusses using our dual electric fuel pump module as the sole pump assembly for the engine:
http://www.flyefii.com/add_components/FPM_App_Note_1.pdf

We chose 30psi as the output on our Boost Pump to give you further suppression of vapor bubbles in the fuel at high altitude.

Robert

Sounds like a good replacement pump in my case.
I already have a constant flow return line T'd off the mechanical pump
and the associated plumbing for fuel return.
More pressure and less chance of vapor lock, makes sense of course.
You skipped the ethanol mogas question, is the pump compatible with ethanol mogas?
Thanks.

Back