What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

stiff mixture control

david.perl

Well Known Member
Thought i had an issue with my mixture control cable - was getting tighter over the past few flights and then locked at ICO the last time i tried to start the engine. Only have 200 hours.

Was about to order new cable from Vans as was convinced it was the cable. Removed the mixture arm first and found cable to be silky smooth and friction free. turned out it is the mixture barrell on the Avstart fuel control servo. Spoek with their UK agent who told me its not an uncommon issue. Might be a bit of water ingress causing some corrosion.

Unit has been sent off for a repair. Thought id post this as seems most people with mixture stiffness have cable issues.

Item serviced and returned same day
no corrosion was found, mixture was regreased and now much smoother

i have had this problem on an io-540. since then i leave the mixture at various positions when not flying. mostly full rich. great service though. :)

I had a stiff mixture control on my O-360 RV-6. Didn't think much of it until, getting ready for a morning sortie from Johnson Creek, it froze solid.

That is NOT the best place for an issue!! Fortunately, Van's overnighted me one to Cascade, ID, and a friend brought one from an RV'er in Denver that had a spare. The Van's one did not fit but the one from Denver did. I was airborne the next afternoon...

Moral that I learned- if something isn't right, address it when you find it. Don't put it off thinking that it won't get any worse!!!! :rolleyes:

Back