What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying into Matagorda Island 72TA??

For those that don't know, there is an abandoned airforce base on Matagorda Island. Flying over it en route, I got to thinking about setting down for a secluded beach camping trip.

Not owning a STOL aircraft with massive tundra tires, I started trying to find some information on the condition of the runway, if it was legal, etc...

Very little information is available, but look at this video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tVE22o3ZZ8

Runway looks better than some of the "maintained" ones I fly from, and there is another plane (cessna, faired trigear) and a trailer on the ramp! And a wind sock!

I can't find any information about making this a destination. Anyone have the scoop?

A lot of us used to fly in there decades ago to spend time on the secluded beach. But then folks started getting met by men in black helicopters and flak jackets, so that stopped. Now I understand it is privately owned - if you can find the owners, you might get permission to land. Twenty-five years ago, there was a lot of cactus growing up in the pavement cracks - I haven't looked at the condition for years.

Paul

Airfield history

This won't help you get permission to land there, but there is some interesting information about this airport (and many others) at the following website about Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields

www.airfields-freeman.com

Then select Texas from the list, on the Texas page select, Corpus Christie - North-east area, then select Matagorda Island AFB

i understand it is private...

have flown in there a couple of times with the permission of a friend who owns property there. both runways have plenty of useable concrete, no prob there: virtually no facilities otherwise unless you know someone there and make arrangements: not even water. call me at 405-488-5488 if you want and I will put you in contact with an owner who might be able to clue you and give you permission. Don Olandese

Private property. Need to be a property owner, or be a guest. Runways (cleared portions) are good. But do not get off the cleared areas.

We fly over that base every few days (we are based two islands South of Matagorda), and often see planes there. Our hangar neighbor owns a piece of the island (a fascinating story in itself -- they are owners, but not in the traditional sense with marked boundaries. They are, more or less, squatters.) and flies his C-180 there every week or two.

I'm sure he'd be glad to give us permission to land, but I've never seen any point to it. From the air it appears to be some shipping containers, a few trailers, some ATVs, a boat or two, and not much else.

Mustang Island has a better, cleaner beach, and lots of bars and restaurants. :cool:

We fly over that base every few days (we are based two islands South of Matagorda), and often see planes there. Our hangar neighbor owns a piece of the island (a fascinating story in itself -- they are owners, but not in the traditional sense with marked boundaries. They are, more or less, squatters.) and flies his C-180 there every week or two.

I'm sure he'd be glad to give us permission to land, but I've never seen any point to it. From the air it appears to be some shipping containers, a few trailers, some ATVs, a boat or two, and not much else.

Mustang Island has a better, cleaner beach, and lots of bars and restaurants. :cool:

Kind of what I was thinking...and you can stay at Amelia's Landing.

I've landed there with the RV. It's acceptable for an A model, but the apron area has some tank traps:eek:

It has a post apocalyptic feel. The beach area is au naturel.

Privately owned as described in Jay's post.

Flew over it 10 days ago. :)

Interesting artifacts just to the east, halfway to the only gray lighthouse I have seen.

Seems like WWII ammo dumps to the north side and remains of Civil War defense trenches to the south side of the island.

They were questions in a type of treasure hunt aerial event.

After 10 days there in Rockport, my main question was "does the wind ever stop?"

15 kts from 140 day and night...:)

No and you don't want it to stop either because when the wind stops the heat and humidity are oppressive.

Flew over it 10 days ago. :)

Interesting artifacts just to the east, halfway to the only gray lighthouse I have seen.

Seems like WWII ammo dumps to the north side and remains of Civil War defense trenches to the south side of the island.

They were questions in a type of treasure hunt aerial event.

After 10 days there in Rockport, my main question was "does the wind ever stop?"

15 kts from 140 day and night...:)

The wind here is deceptively benign. It can be blowing at 25, and be no problem whatsoever.

Why? Because it's blowing across 800 miles of flat ocean before it gets here. With no obstructions, or dark-colored land to heat, the wind is absolutely linear, with no turbulence.

We often talk to guests who were hesitant to come because of the reported winds, and assure them that (as long as it's out of the Southeast, as it is 95% of the time), the wind velocity is a non-issue. In fact, we have become so used to it that landing in calm winds feels like we are approaching way too fast.

The wind here is deceptively benign. It can be blowing at 25, and be no problem whatsoever.

Why? Because it's blowing across 800 miles of flat ocean before it gets here. With no obstructions, or dark-colored land to heat, the wind is absolutely linear, with no turbulence.

We often talk to guests who were hesitant to come because of the reported winds, and assure them that (as long as it's out of the Southeast, as it is 95% of the time), the wind velocity is a non-issue. In fact, we have become so used to it that landing in calm winds feels like we are approaching way too fast.

Yes... I did notice that since the wind direction was so consistent that it always blew directly down the runway, making landings easy. :)

The winds were not a problem flying, but the low clouds were for a VFR pilot.

Last edited:
have flown in there a couple of times with the permission of a friend who owns property there. both runways have plenty of useable concrete, no prob there: virtually no facilities otherwise unless you know someone there and make arrangements: not even water. call me at 405-488-5488 if you want and I will put you in contact with an owner who might be able to clue you and give you permission. Don Olandese

We have water... blew our own well a few years back and put in a septic system too. Everything to build with has to barged over. There are a couple of folks that own property that have purchased old barges and will move materials. Nice place, good fishing, bird hunting, pigs and deer. They also swim cattle over for a few months a year to graze the property and they can be a hazard on the runway. :)

Which Field Are we talking about here?

There seem to be two airfields this thread is talking about. One that is straight east of Port O'Conner that is actually 72TA and is an active private field also known as Pierce Field. Then there is one that is almost directly south (a little west) of Port O'Conner that seems to be an abandoned non functioning field. That one is the former Matagorda Island Air Force Base and looks interesting to land at. I can't find the Airport Identifier for that one though. Has anyone been into that field?

There seem to be two airfields this thread is talking about. One that is straight east of Port O'Conner that is actually 72TA and is an active private field also known as Pierce Field. Then there is one that is almost directly south (a little west) of Port O'Conner that seems to be an abandoned non functioning field. That one is the former Matagorda Island Air Force Base and looks interesting to land at. I can't find the Airport Identifier for that one though. Has anyone been into that field?

The one southeast on Matagorda Island proper used to be part of a national wildlife refuge. According to recent aviation urban legend, you do not want to land there without approval from The Dear Leader himself. Story has it, you may get tagged with harassing or disturbing bird habitat.

Pierce Field, 72TA, is a private airport on private property. Need to be a property owner or with one to land there (legally).

Back