What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Extreme Rudder Pressures ?

704CH

Well Known Member
I am about 60 hours into my new RV-7 and loving it, but do have a couple things I want to follow up with the group on. - Here's One:

I am flying the Superior IO-375 engine with a WW-200RV prop and have the standard larger rudder on my -7. All is well, but for some reason I need to use what seems to be as extreme right rudder pressure on takeoff. Once I?m in Cruise my ball is centered with feet flat on floor, so it isn?t an out of trim issue. But on takeoff sometimes I feel like my right foot is going to snap off that rudder pedal to keep the airplane straight down centerline.

Sometimes if the tail doesn?t raise quickly I can get away with medium right pressure, but other times for whatever reason I have to really get on that right rudder HARD to keep it straight.

Is there something I am doing wrong ? Is there a technique that would help ? Do others experience this as well ?

I?m OK with it, but I also know people who broke pedals (on the older 6's and in other type aircraft) and being that I fly a tail dragger I want to be nice to my pedals.

Thanks for the advice..

I think it is just the "375" talking to you

I do not have your configuration but the sensation is similar in the short tail RV-6A. In December and January Red Hamilton, Marilyn Boese and I increased the power of my O-360-A1A with high compression pistons and other mods. It increased the power enough to raise top speed by 5 kts. When I take off now much more "right" correction is required and I use everything at my disposal to keep my happy beast pointed in the right direction. When I come off of the runway a significant amount of right roll aileron input is required while it is in that early low speed regime. The natural tendency is a touch of right brake but that has its own penalty that can be payed on a subsequent landing.

Bob Axsom

You'll learn to love it

When I first started flying my -7A, I was surprised by the amount of rudder that had to be used on take-off. With all the rentals planes I had flown, you could pretty much apply full throttle and have very little left turning tendency.

I learned very quickly to apply power a little more slowly and to apply quite a bit of right rudder during the take off roll.

My RV-6A, small tail, requires a lot of right rudder on climb out. During phase one testing, I found my Vx, and Vy. Before I established these numbers, my climb out speed was quite a bit higher, and the deck angle was what I was used to in spam cans, and not so much right rudder. The Vx,Vy in my -6A needs a lot of right rudder.

Engine & prop, yup we're here!

The more horse power + more prop pitch = more "P" factor while in the climb. More "P" factor = more RT. rudder. Add a third blade and it takes even more pressure. -7 Superior 0-360 "P" mags, Catto 3 blade. Needs a little Rt. ail. and a lot!! of Rt. rudder pressure at 110mph climb speed. Level flight hands and feet off at 185mph IAS. @ 4,000 ft. and 24 SQ.

Back