What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tapered Pins On Main Gear

SeanB

Well Known Member
I searched the archives and didn't really see anything regarding the use of tapered pins for the main gear to engine mount for a tail dragger. Anyone do this? I haven't drilled anything yet, and am only considering doing this at this point. Engine is not yet hung, so looking ahead for ease of access.

Will definitely use tapered pins for the tailwheel assembly.

Thanks!

Pin availability may be issue for the size you need. Suggest searching to find a source for the right size AN386 taper pin. In my search 10 years ago, they were not that easy to find.

ACS still has the #3 B&S reamers and the AN386 pins for the B&S taper. I used these when I replaced the engine mount on my RV-3 13yrs ago and they worked very well for the gear legs. Reaming the taper was easy once I figured out how much pressure to use. Just in case you're not aware, taper reamers are designed to be used by hand. Use a long two bar tap wrench and do it by hand. Do not use a drill. I trashed the first reamer by not applying enough pressure initially. If you don't start it cutting right away with enough pressure, you'll dull the reamer very quickly and it will never cut. I tried again with a new reamer and more pressure and it worked perfectly. Use a proper cutting oil. You should be making consistent shavings and cut the tapered hole fairly quickly. After drilling the holes, reaming was the easy part.

When I ended up with a loose bolt, I replaced it with a taper pin a few years ago. Be careful not to oversize the taper hole - go slowly and check for fit often. And when you tighten it up with a nut, it will go further in than you think it might based on the test fit.

Greg

Thanks!

Thanks for your replies, everyone. For sure doing the tail spring and yoke. Still not sure on the main gear to engine mount.

I searched the archives and didn't really see anything regarding the use of tapered pins for the main gear to engine mount for a tail dragger. Anyone do this? I haven't drilled anything yet, and am only considering doing this at this point. Engine is not yet hung, so looking ahead for ease of access.

Will definitely use tapered pins for the tailwheel assembly.

Thanks!

What problem on the main gear are you trying to solve?

No problem with main gear yet. Just thought it may be better to go ahead and do tapered pins before hanging engine, etc. Maybe getting ahead of something....

Back