What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stainless steal screws

togaflyer

Well Known Member
Anyone have a source where I can order SS 100 degree counter sink screws and some SS pan heads with the hex or torque heads. The local Fastnall employee was overwhelmed by this request. Thanks. Ignore my typo on the headline I know its Stainless Steel.

Last edited:
100 Degree Stainless Steel Torx Head

Micro Fasteners carries them. I have them for the cowl on my plane. Certainly don't strip like the Phillips head screws.

http://www.microfasteners.com/home.php?cat=620

In the link I believe they are Allen head, but I know they sell them in Torx (I have a bag of 100 of them).

Last edited:
I used SS screws every where visible on the exterior of the airframe. Now, as I remove them for maintenance or inspection, I am replacing them with cadmium plated screws. The SS screws tend to gaul, break and the strip threads more than cad plated steel fasteners in my experience.

Anyone have a source where I can order SS 100 degree counter sink screws and some SS pan heads with the hex or torque heads. The local Fastnall employee was overwhelmed by this request. Thanks. Ignore my typo on the headline I know its Stainless Steel.

There is a company exhibitor at S-n-F and they sell pre-packaged SS screws of any kind and any dimensions. Cheap. I bought several hundred to replace rusting fuel tank attachment screws. Didn't buy enough though... I will try to find a package with their name.

Microfasteners had what I was looking for. The 6 lobe. Want to install these on my build vs the philips. Yep and Sun n Fun not to far down the road, may just wait for that. Great help. Thanks!

Oh and Vlad, I have been curious. If you dont mind me asking, what does that sentence you have on your responses translate to english?

Last edited:
not sure this helps

...Oh and Vlad, I have been curious. If you dont mind me asking, what does that sentence you have on your responses translate to english?

Ala bing translate... "A friend in court is better than a penny in purse". I'm sure something was lost in translation... Vlad doesn't seem like the type to carry a purse :rolleyes:

Microfasteners had what I was looking for. The 6 lobe. Want to install these on my build vs the philips. Yep and Sun n Fun not to far down the road, may just wait for that. Great help. Thanks!

Oh and Vlad, I have been curious. If you dont mind me asking, what does that sentence you have on your responses translate to english?

It could be interpreted as; a friend in the market is better then money in the chest or those are rich who have true friends. But if you transliterate it would be; don't have one hundred roubles better have one hundred friends. Thanks for asking. :D

The previous owner of my -6 used stainless screws for the fuel tanks just before he sold it to me.

I replaced them all with cad plated because they were corroding the aluminum. The airplane structure was like a sacrificial anode protecting the screws.

Screws are cheap, if the ones attaching my fuel tanks rust I'll replace them again.

- mark

fuel tank attach screws

I have a lot of stainless torx screws from Microfastener in my airplane, I watch but I have NOT seen any corrosion. In principle there should be a problem if they are against aluminum and get any electrolyte on them, like sea water.

****BUT****
YOU SHOULD NOT USE STAINLESS SCREWS FOR THE FUEL TANK ATTACHMENT, unless you verify that they are structural stainless screws, not just cosmetic screws from Microfastener. Those screws are structural, they transmit quite a lot of shear from the tank skin into the spar flanges. You could look up the strength of the specified screws, and then confirm that the stainless screws are equal or better strength. But overall, I think it better to just use the standard specified screws in that location.

Look close at the threads of a new ss screw. Then look at one that has been installed in a nutplate.... All of my ss has been replaced with cad. Lesson learned.

Last edited:
Back