What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best Tugs

RV7ator

Well Known Member
Anyone using a Best Tugs (I'm looking at A2) for moving their taildragger RV?

I'm after an electric tug for my -7. Seen other offerings, but always left with concerns over maneuverability, especially pushing forward or pulling backward with the wheel in trail, and the potential for slipping off the axle nut when pushing and smashing the rudder trailing edge.

John Siebold

We have two Best Tugs at the Van's Factory for moving airplanes, one Alpha and one Bravo, and we think they're great if you're wanting a good quality electric tug. The Alphas sees the most use, and the Bravo is great for the larger aircraft, too. We even took them with us on the truck to Oshkosh this year and used them to help move airplanes all week.

We use the alpha on the tailwheel airplanes all the time. Best Tugs includes special tailwheel cups that "grab" the wheel over the axle nuts and hold tight. The tightness is easily adjusted, and we can switch quickly between "connect to the nose wheel thru the fairing" and "clamp around the tailwheel axle nuts," which is nice since we have so many different aircraft we move.

Anyone using a Best Tugs (I'm looking at A2) for moving their taildragger RV?

Yep, I have an Alpha2 that I use on my RV8. Works great. In my case I am pulling up an incline into the hangar and it makes it nice and easy to move.

but always left with concerns over maneuverability, especially pushing forward or pulling backward with the wheel in trail

Pulling is super easy, it just follows you as you pull back into the hangar (tail first). Pushing is a bit more challenging, but nothing a little practice can work out. I find it better to look at the nose of the plane and steer that vs looking at the tail. It's kind of like backing a trailer.

the potential for slipping off the axle nut when pushing and smashing the rudder trailing edge

I've not had any issues with it slipping off. I added a bit longer bolt to the tailwheel axel with some washer on the head and nut side. This gives it a good place to grab, but that was mostly for my manual bogi-bar as the best tug clamps tightly onto the fork. As Greg said it's easy to adjust to get a secure fit.

Ditto on Best Tugs

There is a reason they are named Best Tugs. And they are 100% American Made.

One of the best things I have purchased for the plane. Alpha 3

My home Airport closed down and was not sure where I was moving. Turned out my options all had uneven surfaces and issues with inclines and doorways. Bought it at Oshkosh 2018.

Last edited:
Expensive?

At first I thought that price was outrageous since I thought that electric golf trolleys are only a few hundred, but having a look shows that they are in the 1000 range, so I guess triple for something related to airplanes is par for the course. :)

Sure glad my airport is flat so the bogi-bar will work, with a bit of muscle when pulling/pushing through the grass. Who am I kidding, I'm sure I'll be building or buying an electric tug soon - didn't even know I needed one until now. :D

At first I thought that price was outrageous since I thought that electric golf trolleys are only a few hundred, but having a look shows that they are in the 1000 range, so I guess triple for something related to airplanes is par for the course. :)

Plus, Mike needs the money to rebuild Draco.... ;-)

-Marc

We have one of them at our flight club.

They're good but backing up planes takes a firm yet subtle touch.

We also installed an LED light strip on top that comes on when power is on as its easy to walk away, leave the power on and wind up draining the battery.

John, when I had N6113 I put a longer bolt thru the tailwheel and included some washers on the outside and even rounded the tips off some to help the tailwheel tow bar to have something a little more substantial to hold on to. That helps a lot.

Then as you know, I sold N6113 (I'm still regretting that...) and bought a Cessna 180 and figured there is no way I'm going to man handle that thing in and out of the hanger. Specially in the winter if we get a little bit of snow. So I purchased a BEST TUGS A3 tug and the easiest thing I can say. That thing is amazing! You couldn't ask for a better thought out better designed better performing tug. Well worth the investment. It will last you a lifetime!

Mark

Back