What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

routing wires in engine compartment to prevent heat?

KayS

Well Known Member
Hi All,

i am about to finalize the wiring in my 7. there are some wires going from/to battery contactor, starter relay, amp shunt etc. that are located on the bottom part of the Firewall. my two firewall pass throughs are on the top part left and right. There are several options to route the wires to the pass throughs.

It is advisable to route the wires in a way that they are probably less exposed to heat coming from the engine?

I could route the wires in a way where it looks like they would get less heat from the cooling air flow. But this route is longer and less practical.

Do you guys care about engine heat on tefzel wires?

Thank you
Kay

PS: wasn't sure if that post should belong to electrical section...

Thermo-Flex

I think the Tefzel is good for 300F so you're probably OK anywhere on the firewall. The large wire to my starter (not tefzel) runs along the top of the oil pan and the insulation got a little brown after the first couple flights. So I wrapped it in Thermo-Flex. Problem solved.

I think the Tefzel is good for 300F so you're probably OK anywhere on the firewall. The large wire to my starter (not tefzel) runs along the top of the oil pan and the insulation got a little brown after the first couple flights. So I wrapped it in Thermo-Flex. Problem solved.

MIL-W-22759/11 wire is good to 200C/392F

Back