VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-02-2017, 07:27 AM

Default Long term Tie-down Tips

Well it looks like a year from now we'll be moving to Ft Myers, FL. The bad news is there's a 3-year wait list for hangars at Page (FMY). So no matter what, my RV-10 will have to live outside for a prolonged period of time (I'm still not sure how to break this news to her )

So for those who tie their planes down on the ramp, are there any products that I should be looking into (especially with OSH coming up) to help my 10 survive the FL climate until a hangar opens up?

I have a good gust lock (Anti-Splat Aero), cowl plugs, and a Bruce's Custom Cover (but it's a travel cover):

Note: this is an old pic, she has since been painted.
WAR EAGLE!

Last edited by Auburntsts : 06-02-2017 at 08:15 AM.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:14 AM

Bruce's thicker cover would be a must in my opinion. The thicker material has several advantages. Will the airport let you keep a small box on the ramp next to your plane? Some places allow this, and you can put your cover, tow bar and other things there when you go fly.

N626JA
RV-7A at CXP
Flying!
Old 06-02-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by climberrn View Post
Bruce's thicker cover would be a must in my opinion. The thicker material has several advantages. Will the airport let you keep a small box on the ramp next to your plane? Some places allow this, and you can put your cover, tow bar and other things there when you go fly.
Joel,
Good question -- I'll ask.
WAR EAGLE!
Old 06-02-2017, 10:26 AM

i might be able to help you out next summer at least. there is a guy on the field that goes north for the summer and sublets his hanger. its filled this summer but i will bet he will rent it to another RV-er next summer, he has a 6. stop by my hanger when you get down here A-59 south side.

as for being tied down at page, get at least a good canopy cover. the sun is brutal on interiors here. you will need to wash it every week due to the birds and the distance to the salt water. page gets a little picky about working on them on the ramp so if you need to do some work get hold of me and you can use my hanger for the day.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB
Old 06-02-2017, 10:29 AM

Default Drain Holes

You will need to drill some drain holes in the fuselage to drain out water. I asked Vans where and they said to just drill where water is found standing.
RV12 - Flying - Sold
Old 06-02-2017, 10:33 AM

Add a simple/cheap alarm system? I rigged up a portable canopy alarm using a cheap, but LOUD home door alarm. The alarm has a pull-pin that activates the alarm -- I connect the pull-pin to a lanyard that is loosely attached to an inside point on the canopy. When the canopy (or door) is opened more than an inch or two, the alarm sounds. Since it is a home-brew design, I figure that the common thief won't notice it. Hopefully, the shrill/LOUD alarm will discourage their interest in my plane. On my former Starduster II biplane, I attached the lanyard to the mixture control. Who knows if this alarm will prove effective, but I sleep better at night.
EAA #23982 - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 690+ hours (as of Oct 2018)!
VAF donation through June 2019.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:06 PM

Here's the very basics on how to tie a plane down correctly.

It only matters if the winds might exceed say 40 kts. Still, if you'd like your plane to be there when you return, do it this way. And while you're at it, make sure that your tie down neighbors have done it correctly, too, of one of those planes can blow into yours.

Dave
Old 06-02-2017, 05:28 PM

I had my -9 tied down for a year outside before I got a hangar and purchased the full set of Bruce's covers with the hail protection foam sewed inside. Not cheap, but when well tied down, I didn't have too much concern when a storm hit.

The only other thing I would do in hindsight is trying out one of those dehumidifier buckets to try to keep the humidity down in the cockpit. The covers, while very good, are not completely waterproof.

My Flickr gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35521362@N06/

RV-9A 19-8519 - Finished on 10th February 2016 after 4 years, 9 months and 19 days! The 1020th RV-9 flying.

First flight 26th March 2016. Phase I done. Essential specs 145KTAS @ 2400RPM, 8000', 24.2LPH, Initial RoC 1800FPM.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:30 PM

Todd since you are tied down in Florida your ropes won't freeze so you don't need chains. As was already mentioned the ropes must be tight and knots should be secure. Control surfaces have to be locked with special attention to the rudder. Nearly three years I am parked under the elements and winds at my parking spot are 80% quartering tail. I lock the controls from inside and out. Remember the Florida birds eject very toxic poop if you have a clear coat it could be ruined on the rudder. Birds can also build a nest if you don't fly often. You have to close the space between exhaust pipes. I hope you get a hangar soon. Fancy Bruce cover would last you about three years then you need to shell mnogo roubles for another one.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:07 PM

From your photo, many of your fiberglass parts are uncoated. Epoxy resin is degraded by UV light, especially the intense dosage in Florida. You might consider getting some primer and paint on your glass parts to protect them from the nasty UV rays.