- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2016, 01:09 PM

Thumbs up Pats on the back

Great write-ups, and it has truly been the year for RVs in aerobatic competition, and it's mainly Ron's fault. Being a boundary judge at Sebring next to the railroad tracks can be challenging, especially when they park a row of rail cars, and trying to see when the pilots enter the box. As in my first contest, it is not unusual for a competitor to offer helpful suggestions. Everyone will try to help the others out. Now of course, if Ron gives me a suggestion, or I give Ron a suggestion, we know to ignore it since it might not be helpful, but done in jest (joke Ron). Just wait till next year!!!!!!!!!
Bill McLean
RV-4 Slider
lower AL
Old 11-07-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8Squaz View Post
I just returned from my very first aerobatic contest, the Sebring Fall 2016 Aerobatic Championship in Florida and had a blast!

If you’ve ever thought about competing, DO IT!
Speaking for IAC23 (I am on the BOD): Thanks for showing up! Without folks like you, it is just a bunch of people we know handing medals to each other and hearing the same old tired stories! We NEED new blood and the RV series of aircraft are clearly capable.

Primary, an RV can easily win.
Sportsman, an RV I think has an edge over many legacy aircraft like Super D's. Ron Shrek and Bill McLean have shown that; Bill placed 2nd at the US Nationals and Bill is currently in 2nd for the region and Ron is in 5th.
We are going to see what an RV can do in Intermediate when Shrek moves up.

Quote:
The sportsmanship and fellowship is absolutely wonderful! I met some great people and made some new friends. As far as events go, the Sebring Aerobatic Championship is a very well run, organized, first class event. If you’re in southeast, I definitely recommend this one. They have two contests a year. I am looking forward to more contests throughout the southeast next year.
Thank you, we try to make it fun and welcoming. First weekend in May and the first weekend in November each year we hold a contest.

Quote:
I have many people to thank and I'm sure I'm going miss a few... Ron Hill, a fellow competitor, that gave me a critical tip during competition.
Minimums.... Go around

Quote:
And of course my family, especially my wife Ledy for not saying, "What, are you crazy!" and fully supporting me.
Try to bring her next time! My wife is often there and I know Ron S. brought his wife and two dogs once.

You did well, I hope you come back.
1986 Pitts S1S - Flying
Old 11-07-2016, 05:02 PM

Thank you all for your very kind words! I appreciate it very much. With the way RVators are, I'm sure many of you would have done the same. It was an easy decision to help a fellow competitor!

I hope this thread inspires others to give IAC competition a try. I'm glad I did and I'm looking forward to more competitions with my new friends!
Old 11-07-2016, 05:07 PM

Smile Sebring and regionals

Ron H. (Chapter 23) has always been helpful and a gentleman, especially to old people. He mentioned I finished in 2nd place in the regionals with a 83.39 percent. That third place finisher had a 83.36 percent. To me, that's really a tie, but the 2nd place sticker will look better on my airplane. Hope to see Sebring in the Spring 2017, and too much fun.
Bill McLean
RV-4 slider
lower AL
Old 11-07-2016, 06:24 PM

Default Congrats

Jerry, when you came up to Calhoun to see Mark Fullerton I was so excited to see you at our airport and even more excited that you were joining IAC and were going to compete. I already knew that you are a top notch friend and a great pilot but kicking butt like you did in your first competition is just spectacular. I'm so happy for you and wanted to congratulate your accomplishment. I'm looking forward to seeing you compete in person soon.... Hopefully I'll get to do that soon.
Supporting VAF since the first visit
Old 11-08-2016, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCP Boys View Post
Jerry, when you came up to Calhoun to see Mark Fullerton I was so excited to see you at our airport and even more excited that you were joining IAC and were going to compete. I already knew that you are a top notch friend and a great pilot but kicking butt like you did in your first competition is just spectacular. I'm so happy for you and wanted to congratulate your accomplishment. I'm looking forward to seeing you compete in person soon.... Hopefully I'll get to do that soon.
Thank you so much Amir! Well, I hope to see you compete in person too. You have easy access to a most excellent coach! There have been discussions about having aerobatic clinics or camps in the local area. Expect to see one early next year. See you soon, I hope!
Old 11-13-2016, 06:10 AM

Default Great Write Up

Thanks for a really great write up Jerry and congratulations on your first contest. I HATE that I couldn't make it to Sebring for the contest! I'll get my back problem fixed up in a few weeks and, after recovery, will be back in the hunt next season. I look forward to meeting you then.

Thanks again!
Randy
RV-8 N184RK (flying)
Flying an A320 to pay the bills
Exempt and gladly donating anyway - Current through Jan 2019
Old 11-13-2016, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f14av8r View Post
Thanks for a really great write up Jerry and congratulations on your first contest. I HATE that I couldn't make it to Sebring for the contest! I'll get my back problem fixed up in a few weeks and, after recovery, will be back in the hunt next season. I look forward to meeting you then.

Thanks again!
Randy

Hello Randy,
Thank you very much! Yes, I'm sorry you missed Sebring. I was looking forward to meeting you. Anyway, I hope your back repairs go well. I'm sure we'll get together next season. I looked up your tail no; beautiful plane!
Old 11-13-2016, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Way cool, Jerry!!!

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, Just Superstol, DAR, A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
EAA Homebuilt Council Chair/member EAA BOD
Van's East Coast Representative
www.Baselegaviation.com
Old 11-14-2016, 07:10 AM

Thank you Vic!