Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-31-2016, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv6rick View Post

Some of you don’t have a clue who I am and one guy has threatened to ‘crucify me’ if he doesn’t like what I say (‘ssmdive’ post 53). I realize that this is ‘the internet’ and as Doug Reeves says “The Haters Are Going To Hate”. If you don’t agree with my prebuy fees or my broker fees then simply call someone else.

Threatening to ‘crucify me’ on a public forum is more than I bargained for.

Rick
Cool your jets, Ace. It is pretty clear you are pissed, but don't take your anger and allow yourself to misread a comment, because that is clearly what you have done here.

I'll break it down for you:
"But waiting on the guy to give his say before I crucify him."

You read that as I was going to crucify you no matter what or even that I was going to crucify you at all even if I disagree with you. That is on YOU and your hurt ego causing you to lash out.

What was typed was simply that I am waiting on your side of the story before I make any judgement. Because some people didn't wait and already started grabbing pitchforks.

Maybe YOU should apologize for jumping my case.

Quote:
I can only hope that Doug Reeves bans ‘ssmdive’ for life.
I can only hope that you stop jumping to conclusions.
1986 Pitts S1S - Flying

Last edited by ssmdive : 08-31-2016 at 08:15 AM.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:19 AM

Default Well, that was fun!

Reminds me of the FD rumor mill pranks. Only way more hooked fish! Glad it all worked out.

Now, about that list of pre-buy inspectors; THAT is a great idea. Maybe give it a sticky thread or something, and list by state...

Scratchbuilt Biplane
Preceptor N3 - Sold
Zenith Zodiac 601HD - Sold (good riddance)
Kitfox IV - Sold my share, but loved that plane
RV8A Sold! Loved the plane, but not the nosewheel!
RVX (RV6/4) Sold
RV8 Project purchased (Can't help myself)
Old 08-31-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMO View Post
Well, I'm glad the story I heard was not true. It certainly ran counter to the integrity I have come to expect from this community. And I had no idea who the protagonist (def: leading character in a fictional story) was.

I apologize for any angst my post caused.

Explanations trump suppression every time!
Guys -

I have no dog in this fight but after all the shenanigans, I called the buyer back to confirm what he had told me. I wanted to be 100% and make sure he was 100% now that this is out in the open and names have been shared.

The buyer maintains that he called Rick for a pre-buy after having agreed to a price and terms with the seller. Rick agreed to to the pre-buy for $250.

The night before the pre-buy, Rick called the buyer and Rick said he was still planning to do the pre-buy but suggested that if he could get the seller to reduce the price, he would like to split whatever he was able to get taken off the sale price with the buyer so the buyer would write him a check once the sale was completed. The buyer shared that Rick was going to tie this to what he thought the aircraft was worth and repairs he was suggesting.

The buyer continued by sharing that Rick asked for 40% of whatever he could get the price reduced by (60/40 split of the discount he was able to get the seller to agree to), not the entire sale amount. If Rick could get the seller to reduce the price by $10k based on his opinion of value and repairs that he said the aircraft needed, the buyer would write him a check after the sale for $4k.

That's it. Not complicated at all. It just hit me as a little strange that the person hired to do the pre-buy after a sale price had been agreed to, would ask for commission for getting the price lowered. I just wanted to know if that was standard practice today.

If I were selling and airplane and found out later that the pre-buy inspector came in with financial motive to get me to reduce my price based on repairs he suggested or any other reason, I would not be happy.

- Peter

PS - As a side note, later yesterday I learned that the buyer shared this exact same information with another pre-buy inspector who called me after learning about this thread.
RV-4 - N200PF
2016 Dues Paid - Have you paid yours?

Last edited by N200PF : 08-31-2016 at 08:36 AM.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonFromTX View Post
In general I think the "pre buy" is over rated and often misunderstood. I got burned when selling my Ercoupe, the prospective buyer decided to have a thorough pre buy done by the IA he selected, to be able to then call it an annual.
It all went well, the aircraft was scattered all over the hangar, no squawks of any kind, and the buyer changed his mind about wanting to buy an airplane! Decided that since he was not going to buy it, he did not owe the IA anything nor me either! After some serious threats that I felt we should let a court of law decide things, he finally came up with half the annual fee. I paid the rest of the annual fee, since by the time this was all taken care of, many months had passed and it was about ready for an annual anyhow. The plane was off the market for many months, could not be flown, and it cost me money. Be careful out there!

And it can go the other way:

One guy advertised his RV-8 and it looked very good. After many emails and phone calls, with the seller, I selected a Pre-Buy inspector who went and did a thorough inspection of the airplane. Only a few minor squawks.

So I made an verbal offer to the owner and it was accepted.......

...until a day later when I got an email from him saying that he failed to ask the family if it was ok to sell the plane, before putting it on the market. When he told them of the intention to sell it to me, they said no - they want it in the family.

So he isn't selling it.

Now normally, I'd be a bit torqued for my time spent on this but I was especially torqued as I had paid the inspector his fee (which I would do no matter what).

The seller had zero intention of helping me out with the fee for an inspection on an airplane he was in no position to sell.

There wasn't much I could do about it.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saville View Post
And it can go the other way:

One guy advertised his RV-8 and it looked very good. After many emails and phone calls, with the seller, I selected a Pre-Buy inspector who went and did a thorough inspection of the airplane. Only a few minor squawks.

So I made an verbal offer to the owner and it was accepted.......

...until a day later when I got an email from him saying that he failed to ask the family if it was ok to sell the plane, before putting it on the market. When he told them of the intention to sell it to me, they said no - they want it in the family.

So he isn't selling it.

Now normally, I'd be a bit torqued for my time spent on this but I was especially torqued as I had paid the inspector his fee (which I would do no matter what).

The seller had zero intention of helping me out with the fee for an inspection on an airplane he was in no position to sell.

There wasn't much I could do about it.
I think this is a prime example where not having any kind of consistent approach to aircraft purchase and prebuys bites us. A buyers agreement could have saved you the fee, but none exist unless you make them up yourself.
Most of our airplane deals are done with the shake of a hand. Unfortunately, that shake means different things to different people. In my world, my hand is better than any written contract and I have executed deals worth hundreds of thousands with my hand and less than one sheet of paper. However, that is just not the case with some folks.
I know this thread has drifted and some feel it isn't valuable. Take away some of the personal indifference and misunderstanding, perhaps some will understand how to protect themselves better from your lesson and the lesson of others.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:38 AM

I think a separate thread on pre-buy inspections could be useful, but I am going to close this one now. I don't believe anything useful can be gained by leaving it open.

[ed. Thanks Mark. Thread closed. v/r,dr]
F1 EVO Rocket, first flight May 31/14

Last edited by DeltaRomeo : 09-01-2016 at 06:56 AM.
Closed Thread