What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mixture arm contacts cowling

Hornet2008

Well Known Member
Hi All
I've read a couple of older posts re-this problem. I have an Avstar fuel servo for my FI and the mixture arm is in contact with the cowling. It won't move and is in the full rear position. Older posts have suggested a blister on the cowl to accommodate the lever as straightening the lever would bring it in contact with the FAB. Anybody have a later solution? Should be a problem for all with this servo and Vans cowl.

Thanks in advance

What cowl do you have? I believe the IO-320 requires the 360 cowl as it has a wider and deeper snout on the bottom. You could do a blister, if you have the smaller cowl you could cut off the snout and glass in the larger one. Lotsa work but it's been done, I believe Pete McCoy did it to his -9A

I just today made a "blister" for the cowl on my 9A to clear the fuel injection mixture arm. The cowl is a standard Van's item marked "RV-6" and I have an IO-320. It was not hard to fabricate. I made sure that there was plenty of clearance for eventual engine shake. A cut out in the cowl, formed mould with built up foam board and modeling clay and three layers of 9 oz. glass. I think I formed it to a nice aerodynamic shape. Note that the FAB kit has a formed "cut out" piece to incorporate for clearance on the inboard fitting of the mixture arm. This is not detailed in the FAB construction document that I received. I can (maybe) post pictures if you like.

Hey Pete,

I have the same Avstar servo. I did a blister with a modeling clay mold. More photos if you go to my build thread, "RV-9A SoCal."

Back