What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

3D Small Brackets

Weasel

Well Known Member
I am finding that the small unique items that we fabricate are so much easier with 3D printer.

Here I was fretting over a mount for a small Deutsch electrical connector.

Easy enough to make with all fiberglass but would have required quite a bit of time to get the dimensions exact enough so that the connector could "latch" into the hole and remain secure.

~15 minuets on Solidworks and then walk off. ~15 min later stop back in the office and pick it up off the build plate.

Also it seems that making parts on a regular bases contributes to having them print correctly on the first try...there is sort of an art to producing a good print.

Yes I know ...... the temperature under the cowl gets warm.......maybe it will get hot and fail so that the naysayers can jump with glee :rolleyes:

34262352975_9a0b0b3b57_b.jpg

33420787484_1ce56fef65_b.jpg

34262354795_1793ccf7fe_b.jpg

33420789324_a9fbc3217b_b.jpg

34262356285_25c79aae01_b.jpg

Last edited:
Weasel, did you use PLA or ABS? PLA will definitely not do well in the heat.

ABS

Heat Distortion Temperature
- is the temperature where a test piece of a material placed in a heat medium with a bending load (18.6 kg/cm2) applied - reaches a specified deflection.
ABS: 104 - 106 oC
PVC: 54 - 80 oC
HDPE: 43 - 49 oC
LDPE: 32 - 41 oC
PP: 57 - 64 oC
Vicat Softening Temperature
- is the temperature where a needle shaped penetrator sinks into a test piece a specified depth when a specified vertical load (1 kg) is applied.
ABS: 102.3 oC
PVC: 92 oC
PE: 127.3 oC
PP: 152.2 oC

those are great electrical connectors. I used the gold plated tips. they have been perfect for 4 years now. I like the built in RTV wire seal that keep dirt and water out.

Last edited:
ABS mucho bueno

Yeah, I think it'll be fine. I've had great success with ABS even under pretty warm conditions (think Vegas summers). Good luck!

I have been printing quite a few parts with PETG lately. It takes the heat even better than ABS. It is more flexible and impact resistant than ABS as well. However, it is more difficult to set up initially and doesn't produce as nice a finish as ABS. The bond between layers is better though since it is more 'sticky'. Pushes the limits of my extruder since the recommended temp is 230-240c. Still can warp; more than PLA, but much less than ABS (this is on a heated bed).

Back