What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder cable ends hitting grommets

Yup!

There was thread about this not too long ago. I (and many other it seems) are using plastic tubing around the rudder cable to smooth the transition into the grommet.

I found white plastic tubing already split at
a West Marine store. It took care of the
rudder cable interference problem.
Tom

I found white plastic tubing already split at
a West Marine store. It took care of the
rudder cable interference problem.
Tom

Tom, I just went down to my West Marine store and couldn't find anything like it. Can you elaborate please?
Thanks!

Maybe all stores don't carry it in stock.

On the West Marine website,
search for 'cable cover'.
I used the split cover made by
Davis. They range from 3/32" ID.,
to 3/16" ID. I used the 1/8".
It may be called, 'snap on cable cover'.
The OD is nearly flush with the rudder cable end
where it catches.

I only covered the cable from the front fitting to
the plastic grommet plus about three more inches
when the rudder pedal is fully forward.
This was for two reasons:
although split, the cover is hard to get over the cable
and I like to be able to inspect the cables.

It came in a 6' piece, so I should have the remainder
around somewhere. If you can't find it, let me know and
I'll look for it. It would cost you an airplane ride, though. {:)
Tom

Which size if you want the cable to run freely in the cover?

So I plan on running some form of sheathed rudder cable protection from the F-902 bulkhead to the F-705 bulkhead, most likely the Davis Instruments Snap On Cable covers. The rudder cables in the RV-7 are 1.8" diameter, however are the 1.8" ID cable covers intended to be "tight", or will the cable run freely in the cover so that the cover can remain stationary? If the cable cover is tight, then I guess I will have to go up to 3/16", however this will mean a lot of "slop" within the sheath.
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/davis-instruments--snap-on-cable-covers--P002_065_007_002
Cheers,
Tom.

So I suspect the 1/8" David covers will be too tight, so I tried some of the air brake line (J844 type a 1/4" OD tubing) that comes with the safe air pitot static kit. It works great. I just slit it with my pocket knife, so the slit wasn't perfectly straight, however this doesn't really matter for this application. The ID of the line is about 5/32", so it's got a little free play, but as close to perfect as I think you are going to get. Nylon should also work well for this application, given its relatively low coefficient of friction and relatively high durability for a polymer. If for some reason it doesn't work when fully installed, I'll be sure to give further feedback.
Tom.

I cleaned my cables well with solvent and faired the cable where they meet the rod ends wth JB Weld around the rudder cables. It is easily formed with water coated finger tips. Has worked well with no binding!

picture of what I described above

2vj51zc.jpg

Thanks Kyle, It's been there for 3 years now. I'll keep an eye on it. Will be easy to put tubing over it if need be.

Back