What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Install Redcube/Flowscan at a 30+- deg inclination?

riobison

Well Known Member
I'm looking at installing a Flowscan Transducer between the Elec fuel pump and the Mechanical fuel pump on the 0360 that's in my RV4.

I have read the installation specification from Red Cube and Flowscan and they and they seem to recommend installing it horizontally.

But due to space restraints, minimizing more elbows and connections, I'm wondering how much I will lose on accuracy by installing it at about a 30 deg inclination? (of course with the wires on the top)

Thanks

Tim

I dont think it will be less accurate. The out port should be pointed up thoughn not the in port.
It will be inaccurate when electric fuel pump is on though.

If you're really concerned about the angle, how about some angled fittings on either side, so the hoses can come in at 30 degrees but make a turn as they enter and leave the Red Cube... Then the cube could be mounted horizontal.

As Thomas says, with the electric pump on, it will read high. But as you won't use the electric pump for much longer than your start or initial climbout, the total error in fuel used on any given flight will be negligible... According to all posts i've seen here from people who have taken the time to measure actual vs reported usage using multiple methods and compared the results.

What's the story on the output being high with the pump on? Is this always the case or only if it is not horizontal? Why does that happen?

My recollection is that there is a re-circulation within the Red Cube that happens when the electric pump is on... The Red Cube reads the re-circulation as an increase in flow.

What's the story on the output being high with the pump on? Is this always the case or only if it is not horizontal? Why does that happen?

There are pulses from electric boost pump when it is on. Each pulse creates temporarily higher flow reading that does not get averaged out. My experience is that the fuel flow on my airplane is very accurate at ONE power setting. It os still accurate enough all all the other power settings that it is an extremely valuable device. My flow transducer is factory reported to be 2% accurate. In actual use over almost 20-years, I have to say that it is only 3.5% accurate. IMHO, that is way more accurate than it needs to be to be a valuable safety device.

From what I remember, all the flow transducer recommend a straight input and straight output with so many diameters of the tube / pipe on the input and so many on the output. I do remember it was '"recommended" that the wires exiting the transducer be up.

Back