What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wentworths Engine?

pilot28906

Well Known Member
Anyone had any experience with a used engine from here? Looking for an engine for a 7. Feel free to PM me.

Thanks

I bought my engine from them, it was exactly what they advertised. When it arrived, the vac pad adapter was not there, I called them and they sent one the next day. Very good guys to work with.

Bob burns
Rv-4 n82rb

I also bought my engine from them, an IO-540-V4A5 for my RV-10. Great engine as advertised. No complaints and would do it again.

Great...

I bought my engine from Wentworth. It was just as they said and has served me very well! I'd do it again.

Warning it did take me about 6 months of calling them weekly until I found the engine I wanted.

Michael-

You can get a great engine from Wentworth. I highly recommend doing your due diligence.

Many years ago at OSH, I inquired about an IO-540. They tried to sell me one out of a helicopter and told me it would be just fine in my RV-10. Thanks to both Alan Barrett (BPE) and Lycoming Tech Support (it's nice when all of them are within walking distance) advised that that particular engine wouldn't be a good choice and it would be expensive to alter. Don't ask for specifics, because I can't remember the details anymore. I'm just thankful that I got some great advice before proceeding with the purchase.

Personally if I was going to build again, I'd give Alan or Rhonda a call at BPE. They have plenty of options, both with new engines and rebuilds.

bob

Thanks for all the info. Trying to decide if I want to spend the $ on a new one or search for a good mid-time. Same question that most have had I am sure.

It is a roll of the dice. I bought a "mid-time" O-320 from Wentworth many years ago for my RV-6. It had logs and had come out of a storm-damaged C-172 in Florida.

I flew the RV-6 with the engine for nearly a year before compressions started going down. Upon teardown I discovered severely galled lifters and a shot cam. Turns out I had basically purchased a core. New cylinders and a complete overhaul resulted in an engine I still fly today.

If you purchase a used engine just keep in mind that you really don't know how much service it will yield until major work is needed. I ended up with close to the same $$$$$'s in my rebuilt engine as I would have had if buying a new engine from Vans.

Thanks Sam; used is for sure a gamble and I believe through no fault of the salvage company as they can not breakdown and inspect each engine. Worst case would be spending almost as much as new and having a rebuild. Decisions, desisions.😮

I bought my IO-540 core from them. They weren't that forthcoming about the fact that it was a propstrike engine, but once that was on the table I talked them down $1500 on the price. It was still a little pricey for a core, but good first run parallel valve cores aren't that easy to find these days.

They guarantee the entire bottom end as serviceable, which is quite a value. When my crankshaft turned out to be cracked, they sent me another candidate which was low hours and in very good shape. It didn't need a grind.

They also sent me a replacement rocker arm and some gears. These are high dollar items if purchased new. To roll the dice on an engine core without a guarantee like that is the real gamble.

Dave can be a little scarce with his communication but they have come through for me for everything that was an issue.

Back