What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Headrests (restraints) as Safety Device

iaw4

Well Known Member
I wonder why head restraints are not standard in rv seats? I can imagine that one's spine may be broken in a survivable accident in an emergency landing. (I know there are few rear-enders in airplanes, as in cars!)

I also found a few old posts on head rests here, but none definitive or recommending a simple add-on headrest available today for earlier models. if you have any, please share.

Headrests were invented in answer to whiplash litigation resulting from rear end accidents in automobiles in an attempt to mitigate the lawsuit. Didn?t work. There are still lawsuits after rear end accidents, even if there is no whiplash, and all cars have headrests. It?s why insurance companies are so anxious to settle a claim with you quickly if you?ve been rear-ended by their insured. I?ve never heard of getting whiplash in an airplane. I?m not sure what benefit you?d get from a headrest in an RV other than more comfortable napping. On the side by side 2-seaters it would probably limit access to the baggage area, so it could be a detriment, plus it would weigh more. That?s my opinion anyway.

let's presume you crashland and hit something. could the force not first push your body forward and then backward, with your neck not being able to hold the weight of your head as your shoulder hits the chair?

I am sure they could help, but the forward sudden stop with the head still moving (and torso belted in solid) is likely the far more damaging/fatal part.In race cars this was greatly reduced by the introduction of the HANS devices that reduce the forward motion of the head in a sudden stop. While probably not practical in an airplane- I think this + a rear headrest would be the best setup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF5djO8P2Pg

Back