What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mag(s) on typical lycoming 360 engines

Radioflyer

Well Known Member
I'm familiar with O-320 engines but not yet with the 180 hp O-360 variants. What concerns me is that most O-360s seem to be fitted with the Bendix 2 in 1 mags, the "dual" mag. Is this right? My reading is that these dual mags are problematic in several ways and should be avoided. If so fitted, what is the low down on replacing the dual mag with a single mag (Slick or other?) and 1 electronic ignition? I suppose one could install two electronic ignitions but I would prefer not to.

I would not agree that "most" o-360's come fitted with the dual bendix unit. Every one I've ever had used 2 slicks. (not that I've owned thousands of them, mind you, but I've been through a few of the most common varieties....)

Most of the single drive dual magneto engines were originally installed in Mooney's.

The single drive dual mag engines have a "D" as the last letter in suffix of the engine model. The Mooney 201 and the 200HP Cardinals (angle valve engines) are the more common ones I have seen in RV's (codes A1B6D or A3B6D, I believe).

I have an engine that started out as an A1B6D in my RV6. For ignition I am using a single mag and a crank trigger version of the ElectroAir. Has been an excellent combo.

Back