What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

12V to 5V converter for Dynon D2

blueflyer

Well Known Member
The Dynon D2 only needs 5V rather than 12 volts. Has anyone used one of the 12V to 5V converter off of Amazon to hard wire the D2 into their panel?

oJ0.jpg

I don't know about that particular one but I have the variable output version (1v - 15v) in my airplane and it works great with no radio noise.

:cool:

Last edited:
USB power ports are 5V out. You could hack a USB cord, or hack into the converter itself if you want to hard mount.

I bought a cigarette lighter adapter from Dynon, took it apart, and made a fiberglass case for it.

Thank you for that info. Looks like 12 volts "in" is way too much for this.
Not if you mount it on a good enough "heat sink" and are not drawing full rated power from it. The DROK unit I have goes from 12v down to 2.1v and it has worked for over 100hrs with with no problems. Now, I have mine mounted on one of the aluminum angles that braces the instrument panel which acts like a giant "heat sink". That, combined with the DROK packaging, is more than adequate even during the hot Florida summers.

:cool:

Back